CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:
24 Hour fitness and Bumper plates

I am going to do SS at a 24 hour fitness with a friend. I haven't been their yet but apparently they use octagonal plates which are annoying. would it be a good investment to purchase 2 5# bumper plates to fix the stop signs on a bar.

And I am a student so ... how much would they cost? (for cheap ones)
Old 01-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Jeremy Galo

Profile:
Re: 24 Hour fitness and Bumper plates

5lb bumper plates would probably just get destroyed as soon as you start adding all that weight for deadlifts. No real reason to bother in my opinion. Besides, you would probably need to measure the long diagonal on the octagon to see if a normal sized round plate (17.7" I believe) is even big enough..
Old 01-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Robert Britt Freund

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Galo View Post
5lb bumper plates would probably just get destroyed as soon as you start adding all that weight for deadlifts. No real reason to bother in my opinion. Besides, you would probably need to measure the long diagonal on the octagon to see if a normal sized round plate (17.7" I believe) is even big enough..
I gotta go with Jeremy on this one.

I am not even aware of any inexpensive 5 lb bumper plates. The lightest "cheap" bumper plates are 10 lbs and are available from both Hi-Temp and Wright Rubber.

The only 5 lb bumper plates I am familiar with are EXTREMELY expensive Hi-Tech plates (150$/pair).

Finally, you don't really need bumper plates to do Starting Strength. You definitely don't need them for the 4 main slow lifts (deadlift, press, bench, squat) and will need much heavier than 5 lb plates for the power cleans (which can be done with steel plates easily, at least until you get to 150+ lbs or so).

So, no, I don't think looking for 5 lb bumpers is in the cards...

Regards,
brittf
Old 01-19-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
Jonathan Dinh

Profile:

I agree with all the statments above. i dont think youll need bumper plates with the lifts that you are doing. also by not droping the weights, you are more controlled and also gain strength. plus 5 lb bumper plates wil probably have no effect and get destroyed after being dropped a few times.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #5
Aidan Macdonald

Profile:

I figured it would get destroyed. I just thought that the octagons would slide and shift while p. cleaning and dead lifting causing problems when putting them down. I will just see if it is a problem and go from their.

Thank You
Old 01-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #6
Renee Lee

Profile:

deadlifting and cleaning with hex plates is TERRIBLE. (particularly when you're a weak girl that can't clean 135 yet, so you need to deal with the smaller diameter plates, which creates a starting position problem even with gumby like flexibility.)

the 5lb plates will get destroyed, but i had every intention of bringing my pair of 25lb plates into the globo with me yesterday before i was attacked by the sloth monster.

i think a pair of 15lbers would be nice and make life a bunch easier (assuming you want to lug around an extra 30 lbs)

wright sells them for about $20 a piece. be careful with shipping though, it may double hte price. poke around and look for sales.

www.wrightrubber.com
www.againfaster.com
the rogue store (sorry bill...i don't know the url off the top of my head.)

all links are sfw
Old 01-20-2010, 09:42 AM   #7
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Macdonald View Post
I am going to do SS at a 24 hour fitness with a friend. I haven't been their yet but apparently they use octagonal plates which are annoying. would it be a good investment to purchase 2 5# bumper plates to fix the stop signs on a bar.

And I am a student so ... how much would they cost? (for cheap ones)
What's your membership at a 24 hour fitness going to cost? Can you spend that money on some gear and do SS at home? Check craigslist. Lots of people who lose their inspiration love to give gear away for cheap. You probably won't find bumper plates, but per RBFs suggestion you won't really need them in the beginning for SS. There's usually cheap iron on craigslist.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Brad Motzer

Profile:

I work at 24 Hour Fitness here in Florida, and, honestly, I do a large majority of the main site WoDs with the hexagon plates. I wouldn't drop anything from the rack or higher position, but I frequently drop more than 330# from the hang position when I deadlift, or sometimes lighter weight if I miss a clean or snatch from a slightly higher position. 24 Hour Fitness doesn't have a whole lot of floor space on the extra thick rubber padding by their dumbbells, so I frequently set up camp by the squat and power racks. If I'm going to do singles on deadlifts and drop a heavy weight, I usually prefer to do that in the middle of the day when my boss is either on lunch break or on a conference call and locked up in his office. It's also not as busy during that time so the racket doesn't really upset a lot of other people. Here are a few tips that should help you do what you want in that gym:

1. Go at various times throughout the day to gauge when the membership manager and the club manager are on the floor. Those two will give you the most problems because they don't want to be muted by a ton of heavy weight crashing on the ground while they are trying to sell more remedial potential clients on the gym. 24 Hour Fitness sponsors The Biggest Loser, so we get a lot of really average people that haven't been in a gym before. Management doesn't want to discourage them from joining because they think that its always going to be like that.

2. Sign up for a fitness orientation with a trainer. You have two options in that case, you can either sign up for one when you register, or you can approach a trainer on the floor and sign up for one with them. The benefit to the latter is that you get to choose. We have two methods by which we are supposed to conduct FO's, which are primarily designed to give a trainer the opportunity to impress you with their knowledge and skill to get you to sign up for personal training. First, the FO should be primarily conducted from the desk. Its not a free training session so we want to provide you with some structure to do it on your own, while making it clear that its too overwhelming to do on your on. Besides that, if its someone that's just looking for their body fat measurements and think that what they are doing is intense enough, we can stray from the desk and try to burn them out real quick on the floor. Obviously, I think you should try the latter instead of wasting an hour listening to some guy who most likely doesn't know what he's talking about. Tell him you'll let him try to burn you out if he'll try one of your workouts another day. Play to his ego and show him what real fitness is. The spectacle it will create will generate enough interest amongst the staff and other members that they won't bother you when you do your own workouts in the future.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Get a set of 25 lb bumper plates with steel inserts. Bulletproof and will last forever. Rogue sold me mine and I love them. If I want to put more weight than 95lbs overhead, I can add to the the bar with iron 25's, 10's or smaller and not be afraid to break plates if/when they drop. They are the same diameter as the 45's so when I want to go heavy on deads and squats, I can do that, too.... 25's are a great beginning plate.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Brad Motzer

Profile:

About burning him out with your work out, there are two workouts I end up using most frequently with people in a body builder mindset of splitting their body. First, almost everyone I've run into doing a body part split spends more time doing their upper body than their lower body (sometimes even skipping their 1 leg day a week). So the lower body workout tends to burn them out quicker.

3 rounds for time of:
15 Deadlifts (155#)
25 Mountain Climbers
10 Box Jumps, 18" box (boxes increase by 6" starting at 12" up to 30")
50 Air Squats

21-15-9
Pull Ups
Dips
Burpeess

If your trainer makes to round two of the lower body one, I'd be impressed. I haven't seen anyone do it yet.