CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-30-2010, 03:44 AM   #41
Venceslava Atilova

Profile:
Re: Beware of Kalsu

Did it with 55 lbs barbel. Just over 18 min.
Sic, sic stuff.

I doubt I will do it in the next couple of months again.
No thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #42
Andy Blaida

Profile:

Any wod with the word 'thruster' and I get that bad feeling that something bad is about to happen
Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #43
Stuart Oden

Profile:

wow... this workout is crazy... every wod that's called for thrusters i've been doing with my kettlebell instead. I don't have a gym membership or access to barbells, so all I've got is my 45 lb kettlebell. and here i thought that what I was doing was harder! you guys are nuts. maybe its time to join a gym again...or buy a heavier kettlebell?
Old 06-06-2010, 10:51 PM   #44
Departed

Profile:  

That was about the 3rd or 4th WOD I've ever done. I could only manage 30 lbs. and it took me 28 minutes. NOT FUN!
Old 12-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #45
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

To resurrect an old thread- we are doing this in my gym today. I had done it, I think, as my first WOD at the gym a year ago, scaled to something like 75 thrusters with a bar, and 3 burpees. Going to try to do all 100 with a 95# this time. SO wishing I could happily walk into the gym blind- the temptation to make today a rest day is so strong...
Old 12-09-2010, 07:32 AM   #46
James Saunders

Profile:

Giving Kalsu a shot today...RX'd is not on the radar but debating b/t 65# or 95#. After reading these post I'm approaching this WOD with both fear and excitement...

I'll let you guys know how it ends up...
Old 12-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #47
Kevin Simons

Profile:

My only suggestion: PACE YOURSELF. Decide on a decent amount of thrusters to do each minute and stick to that. You can sprint the last few rounds if you feel up to it. Also, give yourself time to catch your breath between burpees and thrusters instead of doing them back to back and waiting for the rest of the minute.

The first time I did Kalsu rx'd, I went for seven thrusters a round and did them right after the burpees. Agonizing. I missed two whole rounds of thrusters and just about died. Took me about 21 minutes. The next time I stuck with 5 thrusters each round starting them at :30 after the minute giving myself about 15 seconds rest after the burpees. I went all out the last 3 or 4 minutes and ended up with 17:30. This WOD is TOUGH.
m 23 5'7" 192 lbs. Angie 9:13, Grace @ 225lbs 4:15, Elizabeth 3:40, Fran 2:09, King Kong 2:11, Back Squat 505, Deadlift 505, Press 235, C+J 325, Snatch 255. Log | YouTube

Last edited by Kevin Simons : 12-09-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #48
James Saunders

Profile:

Kevin,

I took your advice and paced myself. Also, I took my coaches advice and scaled the workout back some. I ended up doing 75# w/ 3 burpees on the minute. We had it set up with a 30 minute cutoff.

My plan was to start off at 4 thrusters a round for the first 10 rounds, then drop to 3 as we progressed.

My plan held true for the first 8 rounds @ 4 thrusters/round then I dropped to 3 thrusters for the next 4 rounds. At that point my rounds fluctuated between 2-3 thrusters per round until the last round.

I did end up only doing burpees for two rounds in order to recover some.

All in all I timed out at 30 minutes with 82 thruster being completed.

I was ready to tap out when I hear one of our coaches say "3 minutes left" and at that point it was just a matter of pride to at least hit the time cap. I finished my last set of burpees and banged out 6 legit thrusters on the last round.

Easily Kalsu is one of the harder workouts I've done.

What my box is teaching me is that my conditioning still has a long way to go and while I'm strong my abdominal strength is horrible.

I plan on tackling Kalsu again in early February and the goal is to hit all 100 reps w/ 5 burpees @ 95#.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #49
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

I might suggest trying again at the same weight and try to hit the full rep count with a decent time. I finished it with a 65# bar in 9:49, and next time plan on hitting it with 95#. But it will be longer than this coming Feb. I just think you should try finishing the workout before reducing the scaling. Or you could cut it to 50 thrusters and push 95#. I dunno.

Last edited by Allen Tluczek : 12-10-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #50
Robert Stone

Profile:

What is the history of this WOD? Who was the sadistic freak who devised this pain fest? Gotta say, WOW! Much respect to anyone who does this Rxd.
It won't be me for at least a year, if not more.