CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-12-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
Stephen Yosypiw

Profile:
First time Kalsu

Hey guys
I've been reading about Kalsu for some time, and figure it's time I try it. May not finish, but might as well.
For those of you not familiar, it's:
Every minute on the minute do 5 burpees then fill the remaining time with 135 pound thrusters. Goal is to hit 100 total thrusters and your score is how many minutes elapses in the process.

Any ideas about how to hit it? I was thinking go hard for the first 6 or 7 rounds, then just do 1 round with just burpees, then go hard again for 5 rounds, with 1 round just burpees, then bust out the remainders. Going for under half an hour, but I'm actually quite scared. Haha.

Anyway, tips from experienced Kalsu-ers would be welcome.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Matt Charney

Profile:
Re: First time Kalsu

Be scared be very scared. We tried it with an all out effort in the beginning and were forced into some rounds with 0 thrusters. Tried again with a plan for an average to get to 15 minutes and came very close. I can't imaging watching this for a 1/2 hour. This was not me it was one of my athletes.

Report back.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:02 AM   #3
CJ Ryan Harris

Profile:
Re: First time Kalsu

First time around 135 might be a bit much for thrusters. I guess it all comes down to, how your thrusters are, and max thruster etc.

100 is a lot reps at a fair amount of weight.

Personally I think I would go with a more familiar weight of 95 for a first attempt if I was doing it on my own. If it was programed at the gym, I would give it a full blown out attempt (although I believe scaling would come into play by the end)

Damn... now I want to do it.