CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Brian Adams

Profile:
Type of WOD, Time Goals

I know the xfit schedule is specifically designed in a way that each WOD is a type of workout ie. Metabolic and there each of these different types has a different overall benefit to your fitness.

I think it would be super helpful to know what type each WOD is and be given a goal time to shoot for in order to keep the WOD that type of workout.

Once you go over these times the benefit dminishes and changes correct?
Old 11-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: Type of WOD, Time Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
I know the xfit schedule is specifically designed in a way that each WOD is a type of workout ie. Metabolic and there each of these different types has a different overall benefit to your fitness.

I think it would be super helpful to know what type each WOD is and be given a goal time to shoot for in order to keep the WOD that type of workout.

I agree. A good general guideline I use is if i have to stop after each rep and I'm not 90% of the way through, I need to scale. How hard you're working and what your limits are are things only you or someone who has been coaching/training you on a personal level for a while can know. But yes, all of the WOD's should be done with a minimum of resting/stoppage. If you're having to do the thrusters or pull ups 1 at a time on the set of 21 in Fran, you need to scale weight/use bands.
Old 11-21-2009, 04:54 PM   #3
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post

Here's my general guidelines of some of the named WOD's at our affiliate. If you can't finish these WOD's in roughly this amt of time you should probably scale.

Fran - 10 mins or less
Grace - 8 mins or less
Cindy - 12 plus rounds
Linda - 30 mins or less
Angie - 30 mins or less
Nancy - 25 mins or less
Helen - 15 mins or less
Filthy 50 - less then 40 mins.

Hero WOD's - go as heavy as you can, be smart....
Old 11-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Brian,

A good way to program (after you have the fundamentals of the movements...form before intensity of course)

Is to find out what the record time for timed WODs are, and then scale your WOD so that you come close to those times...

That is to say, since Fran is not about strength for a CF firebreather, you would scale it so you are completing it in 2-3 mins...So maybe that means 65# for the thruster...completely different (painful) experience doing Fran non-stop like a fire-breather in 2 or so minutes, then doing it with a bunch of rest with 95# in 5 minutes.

Of course there are definitely times you want to see where you are as rx'd, so I'd do that as well just to see where you're at.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #5
Richard West

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aushion Chatman View Post
Is to find out what the record time for timed WODs are, and then scale your WOD so that you come close to those times...

That is to say, since Fran is not about strength for a CF firebreather, you would scale it so you are completing it in 2-3 mins...So maybe that means 65# for the thruster...completely different (painful) experience doing Fran non-stop like a fire-breather in 2 or so minutes, then doing it with a bunch of rest with 95# in 5 minutes.
I agree in principle, but instead of "record time" let's say "good time". Aim for a ~4 minute scaled Fran, not 1:53.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #6
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard West View Post
I agree in principle, but instead of "record time" let's say "good time". Aim for a ~4 minute scaled Fran, not 1:53.
Concur, I meant avg CF firebreather even though I initially said record times...which is why I said 2-3 minutes in my example...Keeping Fran under 4 minutes is a very good approximation...anything much over 4 mins is a lot of rest in relation to what the firebreathers are experiencing.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Jason David

Profile:

Benchmarks are benchmarks for a reason. Scale the other WOD's as needed. Leave the girls alone unless there is injury or embarassement potential.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Benchmarks are benchmarks for a reason. Scale the other WOD's as needed. Leave the girls alone unless there is injury or embarassement potential.
Depends on what you are training for...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #9
Nic Kirkland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Really? I think that's terrible advice. I can do Elizabeth as Rx'd but I'll be doing the cleans one at a time after the first set. Is that really a good benchmark? I don't think so. CF is all about scalability in order to achieve intensity. Doing Fran in 15 minutes essentially removes all pretense of it being a metcon workout and makes it much more of a straight strength workout. Folks would get much more benefit doing it in 5 minutes with 65# thrusters and bands on the pull ups in my view.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #10
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Kirkland View Post
Really? I think that's terrible advice. I can do Elizabeth as Rx'd but I'll be doing the cleans one at a time after the first set. Is that really a good benchmark? I don't think so. CF is all about scalability in order to achieve intensity. Doing Fran in 15 minutes essentially removes all pretense of it being a metcon workout and makes it much more of a straight strength workout. Folks would get much more benefit doing it in 5 minutes with 65# thrusters and bands on the pull ups in my view.
Yeah well...we all have our opinions...and I think it would be dangerous, and somewhat embarassing watching you do 'Elizabeth' as Rx'd. Both of which are reasons to scale, as I said in my previous post.

But whatever.