CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #1101
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:
Re: paleo "change your life in 30 days"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
canned tuna in general is fine...but some people worry about mercury levels from the tuna, and mark sisson recently wrote something about potential toxins leaching into the food from the metal cans.
i see, but what about the kind that's packaged in the packets?
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #1102
Diane Mahoney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Well, if you're trying to be "Paleo," then you are not accomplishing that. Paleo is about eating REAL food. Right now, you are just eating a low calorie diet with some processed junk added. Dump the muscle milk and eat beef, chicken, fish. Dump the oatmeal and eat whole eggs and fresh fruit. I make eggs every morning, and it doesn't take any longer to fry an egg than to make a bowl of oatmeal. I would also replace the canned tuna with chicken or fish.
I don't eat breakfast food for breakfast because I'm not a big egg fan. I usually have a grilled pork chop and an orange.... It doesn't take long to cook a pork chop on my little Foreman grille, or I cook a bunch and eat them cold.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #1103
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Paul Lara View Post
i'm just going to repeat what i already said, since i've already answered your question.

canned tuna in general is fine...but some people worry about mercury levels from the tuna, and mark sisson recently wrote something about potential toxins leaching into the food from the metal cans.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #1104
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
i'm just going to repeat what i already said, since i've already answered your question.

got it....thanks
Old 01-26-2010, 09:40 AM   #1105
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
The less processing, the better with any food...and what Renee said.

And, I guess if you LIKE the taste of canned tuna, go for it. I don't think I could stomach it on a regular basis. My brother is a professional fisherman, so I prefer to eat fish that actually resembles a fish in appearance and taste. I'd much rather have a grilled chicken breast or a salmon filet. We eat a lot of steel head trout because it is good quality and pretty inexpensive locally. I know a lot of people lean towards the grass fed beef, and we do buy a lot of local meat. But, I also eat the inexpensive, thin steaks for lunch a lot because they cook quickly and are good to throw on a salad or slice up with grilled veggies.

From reading your list of foods, it just appears that you are treating this as a "diet" rather than a change in lifestyle. It's going to get old really quickly if you don't eat WELL and if you eat the same thing every day...you need real food that tastes great.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #1106
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Quote:
The less processing, the better with any food...and what Renee said.

And, I guess if you LIKE the taste of canned tuna, go for it. I don't think I could stomach it on a regular basis. My brother is a professional fisherman, so I prefer to eat fish that actually resembles a fish in appearance and taste. I'd much rather have a grilled chicken breast or a salmon filet. We eat a lot of steel head trout because it is good quality and pretty inexpensive locally. I know a lot of people lean towards the grass fed beef, and we do buy a lot of local meat. But, I also eat the inexpensive, thin steaks for lunch a lot because they cook quickly and are good to throw on a salad or slice up with grilled veggies.

From reading your list of foods, it just appears that you are treating this as a "diet" rather than a change in lifestyle. It's going to get old really quickly if you don't eat WELL and if you eat the same thing every day...you need real food that tastes great.
oh yeah i totally agree with you! I actually haven't had beef in a long while, mostly just fish and chicken or turkey. But I am actually making this a lifestyle choice, i've just gotten started with it apparently today since i'm cutting out the oatmeal and protein shakes. I'm real excited cuz i was 194lbs
a week ago...checked my weight today and now 191 lbs.

looking forward to what the results show in the future
Old 01-26-2010, 10:13 AM   #1107
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
oh yeah i totally agree with you! I actually haven't had beef in a long while, mostly just fish and chicken or turkey. But I am actually making this a lifestyle choice, i've just gotten started with it apparently today since i'm cutting out the oatmeal and protein shakes. I'm real excited cuz i was 194lbs
a week ago...checked my weight today and now 191 lbs.

looking forward to what the results show in the future
Congrats on the progress! There are a lot of good Paleo recipes out there. My husband does most of the cooking, but I've become a little better in the last few months (other than one incident of setting a paper towel on fire). I keep it simple. We have a great All Clad grill pan. I throw just about any type of meat or veggie on there with olive oil and seasonings, and it turns out great.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 AM   #1108
Jean-Paul Lara

Profile:

Quote:
Congrats on the progress! There are a lot of good Paleo recipes out there. My husband does most of the cooking, but I've become a little better in the last few months (other than one incident of setting a paper towel on fire). I keep it simple. We have a great All Clad grill pan. I throw just about any type of meat or veggie on there with olive oil and seasonings, and it turns out great.
my wife does the cooking and i've gotten her to a lot healthier! but she's not paleo, though. She won't give up cheese lol

Last edited by Jean-Paul Lara : 01-26-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:15 PM   #1109
Kandyce Barber

Profile:

I have been reading and learning so much for a long time, but now I would really appreciate some input from someone who might be going through what I am.

This is my 30th day on the paleo challenge. In mine I did have a cheat meal a week. I started out at 166lbs. The weight came off really quick the first couple of weeks, just as the book said it would (water weight), then I have completely hovered around the same weight 156-158lbs. for the rest of the 30 days. I did scaled versions pack/puppy of wods for 4-6 days a week.

My question is this supposed to happen? I don't think I am doing it wrong. I am discouraged because I thought that when I cut out everything except fruit, vegetables, meat, and nuts that the pounds would consistantly drop. I limit my fruit and nut intake as well.

I was doing crossfit off and on before I got pregnant with my 10 month old son. Because of complications, I had to be placed on no to minimal activity during my whole pregnancy. So after I had him I was basically starting from scratch. I got back into it, but wasn't seeing the results I wanted, so I decided I needed to make a nutritional life change.(PALEO) Before I was basically eating whatever I wanted.

Just as an example of what my day looks like

3 eggs
2 pieces of bacon
3 mushrooms
1 cup spinach

meat of some kind (leftovers)
veggies

snack-fruit

meat
veggies

I really like paleo and enjoy the other benefits (better sleep, more energy, feel healthier and full), but I am so discouraged!!!

F/5.7/158 lbs.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:45 PM   #1110
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandyce Barber View Post
I have been reading and learning so much for a long time, but now I would really appreciate some input from someone who might be going through what I am.

This is my 30th day on the paleo challenge. In mine I did have a cheat meal a week. I started out at 166lbs. The weight came off really quick the first couple of weeks, just as the book said it would (water weight), then I have completely hovered around the same weight 156-158lbs. for the rest of the 30 days. I did scaled versions pack/puppy of wods for 4-6 days a week.

My question is this supposed to happen? I don't think I am doing it wrong. I am discouraged because I thought that when I cut out everything except fruit, vegetables, meat, and nuts that the pounds would consistantly drop. I limit my fruit and nut intake as well.

I was doing crossfit off and on before I got pregnant with my 10 month old son. Because of complications, I had to be placed on no to minimal activity during my whole pregnancy. So after I had him I was basically starting from scratch. I got back into it, but wasn't seeing the results I wanted, so I decided I needed to make a nutritional life change.(PALEO) Before I was basically eating whatever I wanted.

Just as an example of what my day looks like

3 eggs
2 pieces of bacon
3 mushrooms
1 cup spinach

meat of some kind (leftovers)
veggies

snack-fruit

meat
veggies

I really like paleo and enjoy the other benefits (better sleep, more energy, feel healthier and full), but I am so discouraged!!!

F/5.7/158 lbs.
how's your performance? are your lifts/times improving?

how much "meat" are you eating at lunch and dinner? i bet you aren't eating enough.