CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-18-2009, 10:01 PM   #11
Kevin Steel

Profile:
Re: Favorite Jump Rope?

I had used the buddy lee speed rope for a while. THen i had a client bring in a $5 Everlast rope, and I found that it is way faster that the buddy lee. that is all I use now. Just so long as it is lightweight, and fast. stay away from the heavier ropes although they call them "speed ropes".
Old 07-19-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
John Dunlap

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
The problem with that wire rope is that it's so fast and so thin that when you miss you can get some pretty wicked welts or slight lacerations from it. A friend of mine went out to practice double unders the other day and came back looking like a cutter.
LOL - Sounds so familiar. I have one of these ropes and I actually like it quite a lot now that I'm used to the speed of it. But when you're first working the skill of D/U's you will take a whipping (literally) from this rope! Definitely makes you pay for sloppy form.

I have this rope, a Nike speed rope and 2 Buddy Lees - the top of the line Hyperformance which broke after about 8 months and the red one that I've had for a few months. After using all, I would have to say that the wire one from Rogue is my favorite. Price is great too.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:32 PM   #13
Mark Chaney

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Favorite Jump Rope?

Kevin & John,

Thanks! This has definitely given me enough recommendations to move in the right direction.

~Mark
Old 07-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Rolf Whitney

Profile:

Rogue Fitness carries the wire speed rope previously mentioned, and also another rope with the larger handles. Great prices on both...you could get both and try whichever you like...and still pay less than you would for one BL rope.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #15
Chris Twyman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
I just got one of these from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/BALLY-BA4104RE...7847524&sr=8-1 WFS

It's pretty sweet. Apparently it's just like the buddy lee but costs half as much and is branded Bally's. Plus it's adjustable, initially. I totally recommend it.
I had this rope for 8 months before the handle snapped off.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #16
John Harris

Profile:

We used to have a couple braided nylon ropes, maybe 1 inch diameter, in the boxing gym where I worked out. Maybe not the fastest but they swing well and you get a little more shoulder work.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #17
Victor Putz

Profile:

Thread necro! (for followon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Putz View Post
I think the BL rope is overpriced, but I like it OK now that I have one. If it breaks, I probably wouldn't replace it (although if just part of it breaks, some parts are replaceable, which is nice).
it broke. The non-replaceable handle part. First a crack on one handle (where the anchor of the swivel is) which I superglued; then I had the same break on the other side and gave up. I'm not impressed with the BL rope at all, for it to have broken like this in less than a year with only mild use by a single person.

Coincidentally, on the same day (which was the day I finally got alternating feet working well at speed, and when I was able to do more than one double-under in succession) my cheapie speed rope had its cable break as well. I had a spare BL cable, which I stuck through the handles of the cheapie, put in a washer so it could rotate easily, and tied a knot. This actually worked really well--I think the washers helped. But I really wanted a good rope, so...

Quote:
Some people on the boards (search!) swear by a type of rope that has a wire cable attached at 90 degrees to the handles; they are cheap and fast as hell, although I can't remember where to get them at the moment.
Rather than the wire speed rope, I went for a duvide dS, their "speed" variant which they advertise as "very light"... ho ho ho. This thing is built like a tank (at least the handles are). The "rope" is massive and thick in comparison to the BL rope (big hollow tube so you can fill it with metal pins) and I think it is a little slower (and heavier), but after shortening the rope to my length I was able to get to my previous skill level (I found successive double-unders a bit harder as the rope doesn't "accelerate" quite as much, but was able to do "crossed arm" intervals for the first time). It's noticeably heavier and slower than the BL, but that doesn't make it "heavy" or "slow", just in comparison.

But working with this next to the BL rope, the BL rope looks and feels like a toy, where the duvide feels like a bludgeoning weapon. I can't imagine what their actual HEAVY ropes are like, filled with metal pins and with handles full of lead shot (the dXL goes up to 4 lbs or so). You could really damage something with them, I'd bet! I'm very impressed with the workmanship; I'm curious to see how it holds up.

I'd like to maintain that you can still get a great workout with a cheap speed rope; something like the duvide is a luxury. But it's an inexpensive luxury and looks like it'll last ages, so I think it's worth it, and if you're considering a $30 BL ropemaster vs a $30 duvide dS, I personally am more impressed with the duvide.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:40 PM   #18
Garrett Cunningham

Profile:

http://www.amazon.com/Everlast-Leath...8883208&sr=8-1

This everlast rope truly stands up to its name. I've had it for about 3 years under hardcore use, and its perfectly fine. Made out of leather... and it has weighted handles, for wrist strength.
hope it helps
Old 03-20-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
Tom Seryak

Profile:

We have nike speed rope, buddy lee's and most recently powermax. nike speed rope is terrible because the cord is constantly getting twisted. as everyone else has mentioned, the buddy lee's are poor quality (you wouldn't think so with the price tag). if the bearing doesn't bust on them the cord will. The powermax is my favorite so far. It has some weight to it, but I actually prefer that. Be careful not to miss, it will leave a mark!
Old 03-22-2010, 08:10 AM   #20
Tyson Wright

Profile:

I'm researching ropes as well and came across the super jump rope (WFS). Anyone have this? I plan to look into the Rogue rope too.