CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Robert Callahan

Profile:
Crossfit Strength Bias

Now that the article is out and everyone has had a chance to look it over I was wondering what peoples thoughts and feelings were? Obviously not everyone has tried it yet, but what are everyone's first impressions?

I can say there has definitely been a demand for something like this for a while. I know there have been lots of hybrids and stuff, but it is nice to see a dedicated branch of CF for strength. It will be neat when they get a website life CFE up and going.

-Robert
Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Joey Powell

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Strength Bias

It works...
Old 02-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #3
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Too funny, Joey! That's it...close it down, Mods. We're done here. Move along. Nothing to see!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #4
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

I agree with the overall idea of additional strength work and it's what I've instinctively done since I found CrossFit. I think the community as a whole wants this information and this was definitely a step in the right direction. Good stuff guys!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Daniel Gam

Profile:

anthony,
it looks like you've been supplementing strength on top of WODs at your website for some time now. I was curious to know if you have anything you learned or anything to elaborate on how you implemented it.

wfs
http://www.crossfitfredericton.com/w...f-the-day-wod/

eg. it says Strength Work (5RM or 3RM) prior to every WOD - how do you cycle the various exercises? and which days to you choose as rest days? Thanks!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Daniel Gam

Profile:

I was wondering about your rest days cause there are 6 consecutive days of WODs!
Old 02-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
David Meverden

Profile:

Good article! I'm pretty confident I will be working in some of these concepts/workouts in the future.

I'm sure, however, that I'm not the only one around here that thinks he is being a little hard on pure strength cycles (calling it "madness?" Really?). I think this community has pretty soundly shown that for people who enter the community without sufficient strength to do the workouts as RX'd, the most efficient way (not saying best, or only, or most fun) to really put up serious times on these workouts is to do SS or something similar for a few months, then switch to CF. There may be a temporary loss in fitness in order to achieve a longer term fitness goal, but I don't think there is anything so wrong with that.
(in the interest of full disclosure I will say that I'm on a GOMAD SS cycle right now )
Old 02-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #8
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

I think this article has a lot of good information and concepts, but I also agree with David. My scaled-down metcons improved very well over the year+ that I did the WOD, and I gained about 15 lbs on my distance-running frame, but even then I was still very weak in absolute terms. I've been puting on 5-12 lbs a month for the last 4 months on SS, and am still not at the point I think I can do everything as RX'd. Right now I may be slower at Fran because I need to breathe, but I wouldn't be wiped out by the strength requirement. Although I will be deconditioned for a year or so, a few months of metcons to recondition and the end result will be far superior to what I could have achieved on the WOD alone.

(Note: Nutrition during my long initial phase of WODs was a pretty big failure. I have a notion that GOMAD+WOD would have had pretty different results. Even when I do return to the WOD, I will stay on GOMAD until I believe that strength is no longer my most limiting factor.)
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM   #9
Jeff Martin

Profile:

Ryan,
I believe the "madness" comment is really pointed at these boards. The volume of threads telling people to leave off doing CF and do strength only is absolutely insane. We decided it was time someone stood up and provided proof that it wasn't necessary. We've done that now. In fact most of our results equal or nearly equal the people doing strength only cycles and we sacrificed none of our fitness in the process.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #10
Robert Callahan

Profile:

David and Ryan, I will start off by saying that I agree with your basic premise that nothing can replace SS as a strength building tool. I will even go so far as to say that doing just 4-6 weeks of it can be incredibly useful for athletes starting out whether for CF or any other sport. I have even done 3 or 4 cycles of SS in the pursuit of increased body mass and strength. Now all that being said I have been on CFSB since the new year and have never been happier.

I started out with CF for about a year but wanted more strength so I started doing cycles of SS. At first when I would go back to CF in between cycles I saw great improvement, but then the longer I did SS the more my metcon suffered to the point where my times started going backwards on WODs unless I spent a few weeks building my metcon. The problem was though I loved the strength I was getting and did not want to stop lifting heavy. So I sacrificed my CF Fitness to be strong, which is admirable and appealing to a young guy, but not exactly what CF is about. Enter CFSB stage left. I went straight from SS to CFSB. This means I really had to scale metcons at first, but I will be honest I loved it. While I had grown to enjoy the heavy lifting I missed the high intensity always changing workouts that CF had brought to the table. Getting to have both really brought enthusiasm to a new level. Plus it has helped me break threw a couple walls I was hitting in SS.

-Robert