CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 01-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #31
Kevin Daigle

Profile:
Re: 100-0 : Your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
I'm not sure if the tougher-than-thou crowd realizes how that game went. It's been reported that it was basically a half-court steal + layup drill, with some 3-pointers thrown in (including in the fourth quarter). I would be surprised if the losing team got more than half a dozen shots (apparently all missed) in the entire game.

How did anybody learn ANYthing? Spare me the "life lesson" crap, the players on the losing side didn't even care either way.

There are dozens of ways the winning coach could have made that game useful to his own players. He chose not to. If he is unable to bring added value to his team, he's not worth much as a coach.
you're one of the people that "doesn't get it"

it doesnt matter how it went.......you're an athlete, placed on a court/field/ whatever to do what you train to do.

I'd love to see you coach that game, and how you would have handled it. Let me fill you in on exactly how that process works, because you are clearly devoid of first hand experience.

The score gets out of hand......This is now an opportunity for some of your less-than-gifted players to get in the game, and not only "play" some decent minutes, but get some valuable game experience and become better for it. So you start subbing the kids in.

There are ONLY so many people on a team.....once everyone is in the game, and even your worst player is on the court then what do you do? In basketball I'd hazard you'd pull the full-court press off....however, your least talented experienced players (although far outclassing the other team) aren't as savvy and are just out there to PLAY. So they are going to play their goddamn hearts out, because a game like that is the ONLY time they'll see the court in a real game. Are you going to tell THOSE kids they can't score any more points? If they can, they will run the ball down the court with reckless abandon regardless of what else is going on because they can FINALLY play.

There is ONLY so much you can do in that situation and once its exhausted thats it. your repsonsibility as a coach to coddle the other team is NON-existant in the first place.

Lets hear your dozens of methods.....I can't wait to spit water all over my monitor.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #32
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

All you BAMFs are missing that this is a special needs school. The lesson they learned is "yup, those kids are better than us" Great. The "winning team" couldn't even call that practice, so who benefitted?

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #33
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewen Roth View Post
It was 59-0 at half-time!! And the losing team "kept trying" and it ended 100-0. The question of how their skills stacked up and the winning team's "morality" was probably settled around minute 4 of the first quarter. The rest of the game, as it was played, was a waste of everybody's time.
ya, but what do you? quit? you can't.....its not allowed, and even if it was no athlete or coach would ever do that. If you stop playing, you forfeit.

it's been said a million times, nothing should have been done......no....no one got anything out of it, but thats not the point.

you don't just quit cause you think you've scored enough points for the day.

wtf......

Thats like me engaging in a clean and jerk contest with Khalipa and people giving him s*** for not waiting for me to catch up.

seriously people.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #34
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
All you BAMFs are missing that this is a special needs school. The lesson they learned is "yup, those kids are better than us" Great. The "winning team" couldn't even call that practice, so who benefitted?
it has nothing to do with benefit.....

someone scheduled that game, most likely the AD for the school(s) possible both coaches. When coaches schedule games they both get together and decide to do it, its not a unilateral decision.

the kids play their game, end of story. The coaches have to coach the team to win the game, also, end of story.

Ask a hyper-competitive elite level athlete what they would do.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #35
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daigle View Post
ya, but what do you? quit? you can't.....its not allowed, and even if it was no athlete or coach would ever do that. If you stop playing, you forfeit.

it's been said a million times, nothing should have been done......no....no one got anything out of it, but thats not the point.

you don't just quit cause you think you've scored enough points for the day.

wtf......

Thats like me engaging in a clean and jerk contest with Khalipa and people giving him s*** for not waiting for me to catch up.

seriously people.
It's not like that Kevin. You're an adult, you've already learned your sportsmanship and fair play lessons. These are kids, they're supposed to be learning those lessons. They're also supposed to have fun, the "losing team" did and apparently played the best game they could.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #36
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Daigle View Post
it has nothing to do with benefit.....

someone scheduled that game, most likely the AD for the school(s) possible both coaches. When coaches schedule games they both get together and decide to do it, its not a unilateral decision.

the kids play their game, end of story. The coaches have to coach the team to win the game, also, end of story.

Ask a hyper-competitive elite level athlete what they would do.
Again kids... special needs kids. Not Hyper competitive elite athletes

Old 01-26-2009, 12:37 PM   #37
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Let me restate this. Either the team decided they could play against a non- special needs team. In that case, they should be treated like all other opponents. If they decided that they couldn't, then they wouldn't have been there. You cannot have it both ways.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #38
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
It's not like that Kevin. You're an adult, you've already learned your sportsmanship and fair play lessons. These are kids, they're supposed to be learning those lessons. They're also supposed to have fun, the "losing team" did and apparently played the best game they could.
thats the WHOLE point......imagine you were on that losing team for a minute, as a child. Say you "only" lost by 50, and not by 100.

does that feel any better to you? and then, down the road you find out that the other team "took it easy" on you because they felt bad.

Do you honestly think thats going to make them feel BETTER? I know it'd make me feel ALOT worse.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #39
Kevin Daigle

Profile:

Quote:
Again kids... special needs kids. Not Hyper competitive elite athletes
they werent special needs kids, they were LD kids (learning disabled) not the same thing. It wasn't like they were playing against a team of kids with downs syndrome and fetal alcohol syndrome.

Perhaps its the fault of the losing school, for not having a coach that could effectively coach kids that have learning abnormalities.

Old 01-26-2009, 12:41 PM   #40
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

For what benefit. The goals and motives of a competitive school basketball program might not be the same as a special needs team. They might've been out there for dare I say it fun. The other team could've treated it like a practice for their bench. For all it benefitted and cost them they could've forfeited and probably the coach would still be employed.