CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 12-05-2008, 01:36 PM   #1
Tom Hultine

Profile:
Yet another killer WOD for me

I'm behind the daily schedule - did "Nate" today, as Rx'd, with subs: 4 pullups/dips for muscle-ups, hspu with feet against the wall. 8 rounds in 20:20. Way tougher than it looked A long ways to go, but am having fun with CF. Following the WOD as best I can, exception being I will still occasionally sub sandbag lifting for a weight-based WOD, and hill sprints for a running focused WOD. I had such great results doing sandbag training/hill-sprints before discovering CF I have been reluctant to give it up totally. Good results so far with CF with the added benefit of feeling like I'm training as an athlete again instead of just a gym member. Feels like back in the day for me (I'm an old dude) football, basketball, track, always challenged by the coaches, pushed hard, dread & death-wish workouts it seemed. And, it definitely requires more work, more focus etc. to work on say a hspu, then doing seated presses on the fitness center weight machine. CF makes me feel more athletic than I have for decades, and it's just a helluva lot more fun than most of that mainstream crap. It's all good, Thanks for the encouragement on this board,

Later,

Tom
Old 12-05-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Yet another killer WOD for me

I don't think HSPU against the wall counts as a sub. I've never heard of anyone doing freestanding ones in a benchmark WOD. Nice job though. Nate is tough.

I'm a few towns over from you by the way.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Pat Barber does freestanding HSPU.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Gould View Post
Pat Barber does freestanding HSPU.
Not in the Diane clip on the videos page.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Tom Hultine

Profile:

Shane,
I can't do a free-standing hspu, so I was trying to sub based upon the suggestions on the main site page, basically supporting your feet on a bench, table etc., so I did it with my feet as high on the wall as I could get. This is going to be a very hard movement to learn for me without a lot of practice reps. I'm certainly up for any suggestions. N. Brookfield, where do you train if not at home? I don't know of a local CF affiliate nearby, but would benefit from hands on coaching, for sure.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 AM   #6
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hultine View Post
Shane,
I can't do a free-standing hspu, so I was trying to sub based upon the suggestions on the main site page, basically supporting your feet on a bench, table etc., so I did it with my feet as high on the wall as I could get. This is going to be a very hard movement to learn for me without a lot of practice reps. I'm certainly up for any suggestions. N. Brookfield, where do you train if not at home? I don't know of a local CF affiliate nearby, but would benefit from hands on coaching, for sure.

Thanks,

Tom
Heavy shoulder presses and spending time inverted against a wall are a great way to work up to HSPUs.

I'm currently at school in NYC but will be in NB for winter break. I have (limited) equipment at home where I do all my training. I hear they are starting a new CF affiliate in Worcester on Shrewsbury St, so I would like to check that out.