CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Dave Fishbaugh

Profile:
motivating my son

i love cross fit; i've been doing it for 6 months and look and feel the best i've been.

are there any of you with teens who cross fit? if so, what's their motivation.

i have a 13 yo who has himself convinced that he could never be able to do this stuff. if i can show him otherwise, it will go a long way for his self-esteem as well as his health. any advice welcome. thank you.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:13 AM   #2
Kevin Hughes

Profile:
Re: motivating my son

Hi Dave;

Our sons are 16 and 18. They've been CF'ing since Jan. 07. The older one has tailed off a little for work reasons, but his story is remarkable. He was a Jr. Firefighter in our home town and was required to take the same fitness tests as all FF'ers. In his first test, he finished 5th out of 8 kids. He's always been competitive, having played hockey, basketball and tennis, and the test embarrassed him. He resolved to improve and went to an affiliate for his first workout. He met Pukie. We came home that day, re-assessed things, and decided to do the 3 month beginner program. He progressed through that into the 3 on 1 off WOD's, with alot of help from Brand X. After 1 year he absolutely blew away everyone in the Jr. FF program, and most of the regular FF's as well. I think working as hard as he did at CF helped him more than just physically. That year saw him grow in many ways, and he received an award for the most improved Jr. FF overall. It was an amazing transformation, and a great learning experience for him too.

Our youngest son is a golfer who wanted the increased fitness to help his game. Quickly, Greg Amundsen, Josh Everett and others became his athletic idols. He got what he was looking for initially, but now CF is a sport unto itself for him. He'll be playing college golf at a Div. 1 school next year. The team works out several times a week, so his goal is to be a true fire breather before he gets there.

Check out Connor Martin and the other young guns at Brand X. They do amazing things at body weights of typical teenagers. Your son will find them motivating and inspiring. Someone once said that youth is wasted on the young, and in the CF sense, its very true. Don't be surprised if he catches on and blows by you within a year or so. Kids adapt and recover quickly, and they're always hungry for more. You'll also dig hanging out in the garage with him, if that's where your gym is.

I hope this post helps you find what you're looking for. I'll do whatever I can to encourage kids into CrossFit, so re-post, PM me, write, call, whatever.

Best,
Kevin
Old 10-14-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Bryon Pinkoski

Profile:

At this point I would tell you not to focus on "do" but on fun. You want to accociate fitness/exercise with fun. You want to make this a strong as possible. NO exercise punishments, let him self pace, No weight not even PVC and then correct things ONLY if it's unsafe, don't even care if he counts rounds or cheats.

Does he like play ANYTHING that he isn't the best at? Even video games can be used as an example.. at first even the lowest level is difficult but if you stick with it you breeeze by eventually.

Games/races incoporating things that don't need any real instruction to use safely, pushups (scaled as necessary), sit ups, short sprints, etc. You race him, ask him to watch your form.

The game Horse is just a game BUT it improves shooting the basketball. Things like that.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Sam Ser

Profile:

in my experience, if someone doesn't have motivation, you're not going to create it from nothing.

however, if they do have motivation but don't know what to do, you can show them.

if you show them and they're just scared, you have to kind of disabuse them of the notion that, if they're not really good at something RIGHT NOW, they suck and always will suck.

seeing progress is an immensely powerful feeling. in fact, i don't know of anything else, short of great distress, that is more motivating than realizing you're getting better at something. it makes you want to keep getting better at it.

if your son will just try some exercises and start to see progress -- he's getting stronger, getting leaner, beginning to see definition in his muscles, whatever -- it's pretty much a given that he'll keep it up unless/until something else gets in the way.

good luck!
Old 10-16-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Dave Fishbaugh

Profile:

thank you so much for your comments. i am hopeful that he will see the "Fun" in it and improved fitness will keep him going. i will keep you posted............
Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
Tom Fetter

Profile:

My kids do CF, though we all took a hiatus over the summer for a bunch of regrettable but unavoidable reasons.

What's motivated my 15 year old son? Results - and beating Dad. When he started CF I had about 10 pullups, and he had none. 3 months later, he blew right past me ... was over 30 by the time I reached 17.

CF's improvement rate is pretty steep for any newbie ... but for kids experiencing testosterone poisoning? Get out of the way! It helps that as a side effect of his performance improvements, he's changed how he looks pretty dramatically too.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:37 AM   #7
Helen Lawson

Profile:

I suggest starting your son out with some easy stuff thats fun and doesn't take a lot of skill. Make it a game and challenge him to beat you. Try to beat him, but not by much. That way it won't seem so impossible for him to "win".

Try things like Wall Ball, Double Unders, Burpees, etc... that don't require a lot of skill. Kids are natural at squats too but that might not be as much fun for him.

All kids like to beat thier Dad at fun stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Our youngest son is a golfer who wanted the increased fitness to help his game.
And, did his golf game improve? And in what ways? Ont the plus side I find that being stronger helps me get out of thick rough better. However, I have a really hard time switching back and forth every other day from swinging a golf club to throwing around a 35-100lb barbell.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:54 PM   #8
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen Lawson View Post
I suggest starting your son out with some easy stuff thats fun and doesn't take a lot of skill. Make it a game and challenge him to beat you. Try to beat him, but not by much. That way it won't seem so impossible for him to "win".

Try things like Wall Ball, Double Unders, Burpees, etc... that don't require a lot of skill. Kids are natural at squats too but that might not be as much fun for him.

All kids like to beat thier Dad at fun stuff!

And, did his golf game improve? And in what ways? Ont the plus side I find that being stronger helps me get out of thick rough better. However, I have a really hard time switching back and forth every other day from swinging a golf club to throwing around a 35-100lb barbell.
Helen...his game has seen steady improvement through practice and play over the years, but I can't actually say that his fitness has improved his game. I suspect it has, I just can't prove it. There may be some evidence here however, W/F/S...

http://blog.oregonlive.com/oga/2008/...oys_junio.html

You need to read down to the part about the Long Drive Contest.

We've also noticed that his latter round tournament scores are way below field averages, indicating that he has a tendency to finish strong. Several times this year he has shot the low round of a 4 round tournament, and all on the last day. Also, the boy who won the World Junior this year is a freshman at Oregon. He's a kind of pudgy, unfit kid (but a great kid) who's never had to carry his clubs before. In college, the men frequently play 36 holes the first day, and 18 the second, and this boy's final round scores have been 8-10 shots higher than his first rounds. I'm pretty sure Charlie's fitness will help him and his team in this area. Same experience for you?
Old 10-17-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
Helen Lawson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Hughes View Post
Same experience for you?
This year i focused much more on my fitness than on my golf game. So, most of the time when i got to play in a tournament or whatever i was sore and exhausted from working out. But looking back at the golf season...The few times that i did take a few days off from the WOD prior to a tournament I did pretty well. The fatique factor really doesn't come into play for me because i almost always walk when i play "recreational" golf, but almost all tournaments i play in are in a cart unfortunately. There was one tournament (in a cart) when it rained hard all day long. I did notice that i was the only one still playing well on the finishing holes. Everyone else was exhausted because they weighed about 20lbs more than normal (being soaking wet). I just pretended i had my weighted vest on and was trudging through a WOD that i just had to finish. So, looking back i think the 3 places it has helped the most so far have been forearm strength (out of the rough), endurance and determination. The WODs teach us many life lessons, not just fitness lessons. Never, ever, ever give up!
Old 10-19-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Ben Chapman

Profile:

A lot will depend on where your kid is starting weight-wise.

I have seen some VERY HEAVY 13 year olds as of late, and the heavier these kids are, the more time it's going to take before they can even do the movements at all.

IF your son is overweight, start him out doing lower weighted metabolic workouts with a little bit of strength conditioning thrown in. Things like pullups can be degrading for heavy kids, since alot of times they can't even do one, and won't be able to for awhile. And a lot of 13 year olds don't have the maturity and forsight to see things through if they are looming too far in the future: it's nice to have results quickly.

Obviously I don't know if this applies to your son, but if it does, it's going to take some extra effort and motivation on your part to get him going.

I would also say, from what it sounds like the kids that really push with CF are the ones who train other sports. Kids who get into it because of Jr Firefighters or golf, martial arts or whatever. It seems like these are the kids who already have a goal on a different front and when they find that crossfit can help them achieve it, they get right on board and then seem to enjoy crossfit just for it's own merits. Get your kid into another sport, something where he can have a goal that crossfit will help him attain. That's actually part of the program I think gets grossly overlooked: regularly learn and play new sports.