CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Vincent Tam

Profile:
I'm having problems when cleaning. It's very very hard for me to bring my elbows up when I do cleans, so now I've become more comfortable doing snatches. I heard that you need wrist flexibility to properly rack the bar when doing the clean. Are the triceps unimportant? Also, can anyone show me some stretches that will help me rack properly? I already only have 3 fingers barely touching the bar when I'm racked, so I can't lose any more of my grip.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
I can tell you what I did.

Everyday I had a gym workout I started my warmup by putting 135 on the bar in the squat rack and do my best to "rack it"
-weight on the deltiods/collarbones
-trying to get all four fingers on the bar
-elbows up
-shoulders foreward
-bar felt like it was digging into my throat early on but improved with time.

I did four or five sets of this stretching shaking my wrists between each one takes about 5 minutes. Experiment with grip width sometimes it helps to have slightly wider than shoulder width. I could not do it with an empty bar I needed the load.

If you can do it again at the end of your workout better yet.

It took me a month or two to get somewhat comfortable, now I don't do it unless cleaning that workout. Now my ability is not great, but does not impair my ability to do a real clean where the weight hits the right spot instead of being supported by my wrists.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
Adam Kayce

Profile:
I took some movement classes from a Rolfer/climber/yoga dude/marathoner/athlete guy named Martin Gray... he's got a DVD called "Healthy Hands", that I bet would help out.

(I did his Nomadics work for years, and my flexiblity jumped through the roof.)

Work/Family Safe:

Nomadics.net (the main site, most info)
Ordering page (some info)
Old 01-26-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:
You do it like you would do any stretching... actually stretching them.

That's what I did (and still do) with significant pommel horse work as well as mass handstands and floor work with circles/flairs. One arm handstands seem to work well for getting used to supporting a large amount of weight on your wrists/hands if you can't do circles.
Old 01-30-2007, 04:01 PM   #5
Mike Burgener

Profile:
one of the exercises i use to loosen up the wrist and get them flexible for clean racking and front squatting is this: put the bar on your back like a back sqt. grip the bar in a clean grip width...now drive your elbows forward and up. simple but effective. keep the bar on your back and keep your torso straight. let the bar move around your hand to your fingertips....stretch, stretch, stretch!!!!
Old 01-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
Baron Dorff

Profile:
Another one you can do while you're just sitting around...

Get on the floor on your knees, then to to all fours, with your palms down and your fingers pointed to your knees. Put your hands close to the knees as necessary.
Simply sit back and use your body weight to add pressure as you can tolerate it.

While standing in the lunch line, on the elevator, riding the bus, use your opposite hand to stretch the hand backward.

Don't forget to stretch in both directions (palm up, palm down). Wrist flexibility is bugger to develop, especially it seems as you get older.

At 45 I really struggle with this as well, but I also haven't been working on it much since I quit practicing martial arts where my wrists were constantly getting cranked in one direction or another.