CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 09-04-2008, 02:39 PM   #31
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: couture v. lesnar in UFC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Just because someone isn't "crafty" dosen't mean they can't craftly do one or two things, and that applies to anything in life. Particular in this case where his opponent lacks depth in submission skills. That would be my strategy anyways. Randy should use the size difference to get around Brocks' back and choke him from there.
I'm not saying Randy can't do it... but I would like to see ANYONE choke that neck... holy cow! It must be 29-30"!

http://www.softcom.net/users/abingham/brocklesnar.jpg
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM   #32
Mark Knisely

Profile:

The Vanilla Gorilla doesn't have a neck.....just shoulders.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:27 AM   #33
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Lesnar is the ufc's version of Kimbo!!! Yes he is an accomplished wrestler... But lacks a massive amount of experience and he gets to headline. I am so ****ed the UFC made this fight.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #34
Adam Scheiner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
Lesnar is the ufc's version of Kimbo!!! Yes he is an accomplished wrestler... But lacks a massive amount of experience and he gets to headline. I am so ****ed the UFC made this fight.
Yeah, but it will keep the organization progressing and hopefully lead to fighters getting paid more. If I remember correctly didn't the UFC recently drop a bunch of guys because of financial issues?
Old 09-05-2008, 01:30 PM   #35
Jay Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Kimbo has zero ground experience and in his fights for EliteXC has shown no real ground potential.

Lesnar was a NCAA wrestling champion.

He also has been training hard with jujitsu from what I have read and heard and has made improvements.

He is VASTLY more aggressive as a fighter than Kimbo. Kimbo wants to look good while fighting, Brock wants to murder you.

Plus the HW's are lacking a headliner that draws. Nog is boring, Sylvia is gone, Randy is all but gone, Arlovski is gone, Mir is ehhh, Herring just got rolled over by Brock... who else is there?

He is coming along at the perfect time to be a headliner and I hope he continues to improve. The UFC needs him and vice versa.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:57 PM   #36
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Lol are you really comparing a limited skills street brawler to a former National Champion Freestyle wrestler?
Old 09-05-2008, 04:32 PM   #37
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
Lol are you really comparing a limited skills street brawler to a former National Champion Freestyle wrestler?
Settle down boys. I didnt mean to stir the pot. Yes I know Lesnar is much more accomplished than Kimbo. What I mean is he is a name to headline. He hasn't put in the time to earn the right to headline. He hasn't won the fights to earn a heavyweight title shot.

He and kimbo are similar in that they both have no rights to their positions in their organizations skill wise and are only in that position because they are a good draw. This was all I meant by the statement.

Brock was less than impressive in his last fight and showed little improvement in MMA. He showed that he can control his opponent on the ground and he can throw a big loaded right, but couldn't finish. And now he is getting a title shot???

I hate Kimbo and think he is horrible for the sport! Lesnar is better for the sport than Kimbo, but he shows no class and little actual MMA skill.

Last edited by Jeff Haugland : 09-05-2008 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:23 PM   #38
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Settle down boys. I didnt mean to stir the pot. Yes I know Lesnar is much more accomplished than Kimbo. What I mean is he is a name to headline. He hasn't put in the time to earn the right to headline. He hasn't won the fights to earn a heavyweight title shot.

He and kimbo are similar in that they both have no rights to their positions in their organizations skill wise and are only in that position because they are a good draw. This was all I meant by the statement.

Brock was less than impressive in his last fight and showed little improvement in MMA. He showed that he can control his opponent on the ground and he can throw a big loaded right, but couldn't finish. And now he is getting a title shot???

I hate Kimbo and think he is horrible for the sport! Lesnar is better for the sport than Kimbo, but he shows no class and little actual MMA skill.
Brock was less than impressive? He utterly demolished and dominated one of the best heavyweight pride fighters for years. Look at Herrings resume, he's fought some very impressive fighters, and won, Herring is no slouch. Brock punished him for 3 rounds and at no time did Herring pose any threat to him. Brocks also a former national champion who therefore deserves immediate consideration as a contender. Kimbo has fought no one with a winning record, and in his last "fight" he barely won and was dominated in the ground game by a mediocre kickboxer!! Brock was dominating in his 1st fight over one of the better big men in Jujitsu beofe getting caught by a rookie mistake. What lack of class did Lesnar show? Being excited becuse you won is hardly classless, and he showed as much MMA skill as was needed to win the fight.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #39
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

I stand by my statement that Lesnar was less than impressive. He had Herring hurt in the first 5 seconds and couldn't finish a guy who was turtling up and offering no offense.

I dont want to argue semantics. I apologize if I offended anybody's opinion of Lesnar by my own opinion.

Only time will tell how good Lesnar will be. I, however, don't believe the hype, and don't like Lesnar as a fighter, and don't think his position as a national champion wrestler warrants a title shot in MMA. Nor do his performances against guys who are nearing the end of their careers and hardly at their peak.

Just my opinion. I agree the comparison between Kimbo and Brock may have been poor skill wise, but I stand by my bolded statement.

I will be watching the fight, rooting for Randy, and hoping Brock gets put in his inexperienced place.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:55 PM   #40
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
...Lesnar was less than impressive. He had Herring hurt in the first 5 seconds and couldn't finish a guy who was turtling up and offering no offense.
word...