CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-18-2008, 12:52 PM   #101
Tom Fetter

Profile:
Re: couture v. lesnar in UFC!

Well, IMO if Nogueira beats Mir (as I suspect), then I'd look for him to submit Brock in a matchup to follow. Brock would be given some room in the 2nd tier of the division to develop both his record, and a more complete game.

If Lesnar comes back from the wilderness in 12-18 months with better boxing skills, ground defence, and finishing moves ... he's got the potential to be really dangerous for a pretty long time.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #102
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Edwards View Post
Thank Celio...

Just wait... These new to the sport bandwagoners will see real MMA soon. First of all in Pride - Nogera, Jackson, Arona, Silvia, Henderson all fought each other and could all serve Brock if they stick to their gameplan...

Brock did not beat Randy with ease at all - Randy had him gassing and could of made things worse but decided it was time to trade... Had he continued wearing him down things probably would have ended totally different. Also it was the ear (equillibrium) punch that made Randy go down. Could happen to anyone at anytime - have you ever been hit with force in the ear??? I have and it doesn't matter how fresh you are - your legs are going to crumble and you don't even realize what the heck happened.

Bottom line - Randy lossed, it is what is... I just don't feel that Brock is just this awesome heavy weight that has come to change the face of MMA bla bla bla. He is big - his is strong - he has a wrestling background...

PS: I may be biased, but I think Vera can go back to heavyweight and take Brock... He beat Mir in 1 round. Also he is highly trained in Grecco and trained with Randy at the Olympic training center before Randy was in the UFC, but also has serious Muy Thai skills. Just look what he did to Eilers, Whitehead, and Fabiano Sherner (265)... I think he does better at heavy cause he doesn't get taxed (physical and mental) cutting and also respects the opposition's size and therefore strickly follows his gameplan.
Vera has looked horrible of late. Brock is a horrible match-up for a guy that should never have been a heavyweight. An athlete like Brock will pick up thinks very fast. Everytime you see that guy is going to be much better than he was before. He will give anyone hell and that is before he devolps a solid skill base, after that it is all down hill for everyone else.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:42 PM   #103
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Are u serious? Fedor, Barnett, Minotauro, Mir, Randy, Arloski, Gonzaga, Werdum,......shoo, even Tim stands a good chance.

Come on Phillip, u truly believe that Brock beat Randy easily???!!!

http://www.mmatko.com/randy-couture-...-video-ufc-91/
Tim as in Tim Slyvia? Yes Brock beat him pretty easily. Exactly what did Randy do? A handful of decent punches, and a failed takedown attempt. Otherwise Randy clinched for 3 minutes.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #104
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I think Brock pretty much proved Randy is too damn old to fight him, as evidenced by how easily Brock beat him. Of course Brock is there to sell tickets, they all are there to sell tickets. Why does Tito get so many fights despite having lost many of his recent bouts? Unlike Kimbo though Brock is the real deal, Can you think of a heavyweight contender who can realistically beat him?
I'm reading Chuck Lidell's autobiography and there is a couple of chapters regarding Tito. Dana allowed him to fight because 1) he had signed a contract for 'x' many fights AND 2) he was bringing in money to the UFC when it was in debt. Smart move IMO for Dana to keep up as long as he needed him. Tito's last fight I was actually cheering for him hoping that he would show SOMETHING to prove that he belonged in the UFC. But he didn't...

As far as Lesnar goes... I think the UFC needs to introduce an ultra-heavyweight division. We all know the only reason Lesnar beat Couture is because he weighs 60lbs more than him and basically sat on him and suffocated him the entire match. If Couture fought some skiiny kid who weighed 145lbs everyone would shout that the kid got robbed and the fight was unfair based on the size differences. That's exactly what ut was there.

Poor Couture... I don't think he'll be fighting any more because of this. I was hoping he would leave the UFC being 'the champ'.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM   #105
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
Poor Couture... I don't think he'll be fighting any more because of this. I was hoping he would leave the UFC being 'the champ'.
I don't know any of the facts behind this, but I have a feeling that this was Randy's "out" - as in, fight Brock and you can get out of your contract.

I am not saying this fight was fixed. But I have a feeling that Randy and Dana both knew Brock was going to win this fight, but it had the potential to be spectacular. It was not spectacular and Brock won, as expected. The UFC has no reason to be interested in Randy any more, so he can exit stage left.

If Fedor has any interest in fighting Randy now, may be the real question. Clearly, the bloom is off the rose.

However, I still think the UFC will be interested in getting Fedor when his contract issues are resolved - which may conveniently take place after the heavyweight belt is unified.

:stir:
Old 11-18-2008, 03:45 PM   #106
Katrina A. Burton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
I don't know any of the facts behind this, but I have a feeling that this was Randy's "out" - as in, fight Brock and you can get out of your contract.
Couture only had one more fight in his contract, which he fulfilled by fighting Lesnar. I'm sure he could have fought whomever he wanted... regardless he only had one more fight to fight for him to finish legitimately.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:29 PM   #107
Jeff Haugland

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katrina A. Burton View Post
Couture only had one more fight in his contract, which he fulfilled by fighting Lesnar. I'm sure he could have fought whomever he wanted... regardless he only had one more fight to fight for him to finish legitimately.
Actually, when Randy came back, they renegotiated a new 3 fight contract.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #108
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Haugland View Post
Actually, when Randy came back, they renegotiated a new 3 fight contract.
... which, from the perspective of maximising UFC profits would have optimally gone:
  • Couture/Lesnar (Couture wins)
  • Couture/Mir or Noguiera (Couture loses)
  • Swan song Couture retirement fight
Randy had the poor grace to find Lesnar's fist instead, which probably cost the UFC a fair chunk of pay-per-view money for his remaining contracted fights. Though there's little love between Dana White and Couture, I suspect Dana wishes the fight had had a different outcome.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #109
Max Zerba

Profile:

Randy got beat by a bigger, stronger, younger man with good skills. The last thing UFC needs is another HW division. Randy at 220 could make 205 easily, if he wanted. He fights at HW because its a weak division. If you add another division, you would make it even worse.
Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 AM   #110
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Crawford View Post
Vera has looked horrible of late. Brock is a horrible match-up for a guy that should never have been a heavyweight. An athlete like Brock will pick up thinks very fast.
1. Vera has to cut weight to fight light heavy - look at his strength and stamina when he fought at heavy. Cutting weight is not for everyone.

2. Brandon beat Mir at heavywieght - Mir beat Brock... How is Brock a horrible match up? Also Brandon has more knockouts at heavyweight of guys all outweighing him than he does at light heavy - how does this record display someone who should never have been a heavyweight?

W/F/S http://sherdog.com/fighter/Brandon-Vera-4886

3. I think Brock picks up thinks very fast too