CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 11-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #91
Phillip Garrison

Profile:
Re: couture v. lesnar in UFC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Holm View Post
I couldn't agree more. I can't stand lesnar, and would love to see Barnett pick him apart. Barnett really impressed me with his stand up against Ricco back in July. It's good to see that he's still getting better as a fighter.
I've got to admit that was a pretty good card, even though none of the fights went the way I wanted except for the Hazelett fight. Very entertaining night.
What exactly has Brock done to make you dislike him?
Old 11-17-2008, 02:48 PM   #92
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
What exactly has Brock done to make you dislike him?
One thing is say that Randy is too old to fight him... Very disrespectful to a true MMA fighter.

I'm not even going to go into the rest of it, but just like Kimbo - Brock is there to sell tickets by name alone.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM   #93
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Edwards View Post
One thing is say that Randy is too old to fight him... Very disrespectful to a true MMA fighter.

I'm not even going to go into the rest of it, but just like Kimbo - Brock is there to sell tickets by name alone.
I think Brock pretty much proved Randy is too damn old to fight him, as evidenced by how easily Brock beat him. Of course Brock is there to sell tickets, they all are there to sell tickets. Why does Tito get so many fights despite having lost many of his recent bouts? Unlike Kimbo though Brock is the real deal, Can you think of a heavyweight contender who can realistically beat him?
Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM   #94
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Fedor by armbar......fedor would have his hands full though.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #95
Celio Silva

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Garrisonq View Post
I think Brock pretty much proved Randy is too damn old to fight him, as evidenced by how easily Brock beat him. Of course Brock is there to sell tickets, they all are there to sell tickets. Why does Tito get so many fights despite having lost many of his recent bouts? Unlike Kimbo though Brock is the real deal, Can you think of a heavyweight contender who can realistically beat him?
Are u serious? Fedor, Barnett, Minotauro, Mir, Randy, Arloski, Gonzaga, Werdum,......shoo, even Tim stands a good chance.

Come on Phillip, u truly believe that Brock beat Randy easily???!!!

http://www.mmatko.com/randy-couture-...-video-ufc-91/
Old 11-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #96
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post
Are u serious? Fedor, Barnett, Minotauro, Mir, Randy, Arloski, Gonzaga, Werdum,......shoo, even Tim stands a good chance.

Mir gets steam rolled if they fight again.....Brocks sub defense will improve with each fight...
Old 11-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #97
Tom Fetter

Profile:

What ticks people about Lesnar?

Er, he doesn't have to bring a full toolbox. In some alternative universe where you could equalize fighters' mass, any number of guys would demolish him. GSP, Florian, Liddell, Silva ... and Couture. Not in our universe though, most days.

Don't misunderstand me - Lesnar's an astonishing talent, with superior athleticism, wrestling skills, and work ethic. He's working hard to round out his game, and could become simply Titanic. It's to Lesnar's credit that he's working so hard to gain that credibility - and not simply rely on his vast natural size/power advantages...

Because he obviously doesn't have to.

And that deflates fight watchers' dearest and most-denied fantasy. ... that a smaller guy with elite skills and a "warrior" mentality can have the edge over anyone. Lesnar explodes that Hollywood fantasy, and we're ****ed at him for it.

It's compelling to watch a smaller, less green Incredible Hulk with a patchy skill-set tear more "elite" guys apart. But it doesn't help us "normal" sized guys sleep any better at night, no matter how hard we train.

t
Old 11-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #98
Celio Silva

Profile:

I hear u Tom. There is definately something to be said about that.

I never knew Brock before he came to the UFC, and of course I was biased against him in the beginning due to a combination of his background and his cocky comments regarding MMA. Now it seems he has learned how to talk in his new sport and has definately proved that he is truly committed. I just watched an All Access on him and he came across as a surprisingly down to earth guy with a great competitive drive and work ethic. I truly hope he earns the respect that he deserves.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:10 PM   #99
Bernard Edwards

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celio Silva View Post

Thank Celio...

Just wait... These new to the sport bandwagoners will see real MMA soon. First of all in Pride - Nogera, Jackson, Arona, Silvia, Henderson all fought each other and could all serve Brock if they stick to their gameplan...

Brock did not beat Randy with ease at all - Randy had him gassing and could of made things worse but decided it was time to trade... Had he continued wearing him down things probably would have ended totally different. Also it was the ear (equillibrium) punch that made Randy go down. Could happen to anyone at anytime - have you ever been hit with force in the ear??? I have and it doesn't matter how fresh you are - your legs are going to crumble and you don't even realize what the heck happened.

Bottom line - Randy lossed, it is what is... I just don't feel that Brock is just this awesome heavy weight that has come to change the face of MMA bla bla bla. He is big - his is strong - he has a wrestling background...

PS: I may be biased, but I think Vera can go back to heavyweight and take Brock... He beat Mir in 1 round. Also he is highly trained in Grecco and trained with Randy at the Olympic training center before Randy was in the UFC, but also has serious Muy Thai skills. Just look what he did to Eilers, Whitehead, and Fabiano Sherner (265)... I think he does better at heavy cause he doesn't get taxed (physical and mental) cutting and also respects the opposition's size and therefore strickly follows his gameplan.

Last edited by Bernard Edwards : 11-18-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #100
Sean Dunston

Profile:

So-
To those of you who saw it - especially the face-off before they touched gloves - did it not appear that Brock was a good 4 or 5 inches taller than Randy?

They list randy at 6'2" and Brock at 6'3" - one of those measurements must be inaccurate, and I can't believe they'd be cheating Brock out of a few inches.