CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
David Stitz

Profile:
Zone Cost

Are there any students out there who eat a strict Zone diet? Can anyone offer insight on the cost of Zoning, compared to eating like everyone else. I start Monday, and cost will not stop that, but it would be nice if I knew whether I was in for a bodycheck to my checking account.

Aside from that, howabout tips on how to plan and buy for Zoning to maximize efficiency?

I'm thinking about doing a week of the same breakfast, same lunch, and same dinner and snacks. Seems easy to shop for. Anybody get miserable eating the same thing everyday?

Any information is greatly appreciated.
PS. Tried the search, read a bunch of threads, no luck. Sometimes its hard to figure out what information will be shared in a thread simply by its title.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Re: Zone Cost

If I were a student, I wouldn't Zone. I'd just go Paleo, keep the fruit to a minimum (cost) and spend what's left having fun.

Paleo with more fat and less carbs than the Zone should be cheaper than all that fruit... lots of green veggies can be quite cheap if you buy in bunches... or even frozen (not optimal, but fine in a pinch or when money is tight)
Old 08-21-2008, 05:09 AM   #3
George Mounce

Profile:

I agree with Derek - just Paleo choices or IF would be eaiser - I know Patrick Donnelly is a student and has been doing IF for over a year.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:

There's nothing wrong with Zoning and it can be done at a very low cost.

Pick foods from the list in the CFJ21, and find the cost per block for each food.

Choose foods for all 3 macronutrients that are a low cost per block.

Example: Chicken is $2/lb, with 16 blocks/lb, so that is $0.125/block.
Beef Jerky is $20/lb, with 16 blocks/lb, equalling $1.25/block.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Nick Shimondle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stitz View Post
Are there any students out there who eat a strict Zone diet? Can anyone offer insight on the cost of Zoning, compared to eating like everyone else. I start Monday, and cost will not stop that, but it would be nice if I knew whether I was in for a bodycheck to my checking account.
I am a student who zones and i spend about $50/week for food, since all of the stuff you buy should be natural don't buy more than a weeks worth of food as it will spoil quickly. That being said I could probably go cheaper if I didnt buy my breyers . (quite lengthly post on this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stitz View Post
I'm thinking about doing a week of the same breakfast, same lunch, and same dinner and snacks. Seems easy to shop for. Anybody get miserable eating the same thing everyday?
Thats the same thing I do and although I get flack from my friends for eating salads everyday, I don't mind it at all, but you should switch it up about every couple of weeks. Nothing major but I switch up my protein sources from lets say chicken to fish, lean pork, lean beef, or something of that nature.

Also tomatoes are cheap when they are in season, but you really owe it to yourself to buy the ripe from the vine organic ones as they have more flavor and are not treated with ethylene gas. Or even better yet grown your own cherry tomatoes. A tip from good old Alton Brown is to never let your tomatoes go under 50 Degrees Farenhight as it kills off flavor permanetly. Onions are also cheap, if you have a significant other you might want to limit yourself to having them only for one meal.

A tip about starting the zone, first couple of days it will feel like a ferret is trying to eat out your insides if your diet was bad before hand. Also i drink at least 7 liters of water a day so that my body can process all of the fiber and allow me to properly do my morning business . But stick with it and you will reap the benifits

EDIT: 1 liter when i wake up, 1 liter after every meal so 5 liters, 1 liter in between breakfast and lunch, and if i remember 1 liter before i go to bed

Last edited by Nick Shimondle : 08-21-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Many, many, prior threads on eating Zone while on a college student budget and/or cafeteria.

Seek and ye shall find.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wood View Post
Many, many, prior threads on eating Zone while on a college student budget and/or cafeteria.

Seek and ye shall find.
Yeah-
Look for the ones that talk about Zone Beer and Paleo Tequila.
These are necessary if you are still in college.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Joe Bernard

Profile:

I am a sophomore and I paleo. It's alot easier than zone, and I can't see myself measuring out stuff in a dining hall with people giving me weird looks. I already get enough weird looks as it is eating the way I do and doing CF WODs...
Old 08-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #9
Tirzah Harper

Profile:

If you're improving your diet, don't forget to factor in the DECREASE in medical costs to offset the INCREASE in food costs. It does happen.