CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #1
Zach Davis

Profile:
So,

I started doing Crossfit last Saturday... I did "Fran" on Saturday, just to get a feel for the system. Then on Tuesday, I started at 060302, because I am going through a 3-day cycle each tues-thurs, using Mon and Frd as either rest days or sport-specific days, then weekends are all-day sport days. Tues through Thur looked like this:

Tues - 70 Min on my road bike, largley aerobic pace with about 5 minutes total in my higher heart-rate zone. 20min, as many rounds of: 65lb Deadlifts 10resps. 65lb Hang Cleans 8reps, 65lb Push Presses 6reps
Wed - Snowboarding at a resort for 4 hours in the morning (following a friend on a 210 race board, so I got pretty worked). That night; 1rep x 10 times Overhead Squats
Thurs - For time: 75 Pull-ups, 75 Dips

So, starting on Sunday, I noticed that my sleep started becoming substantially heavier.... Started falling asleep almost immediately after dinner last night (8:30), grogged around till about 10:00, then slept in until 7:30. I typically only sleep 7 hours a night.

Has anyone else had a similar experience in the first few weeks of Crossfit? I wonder if my body is trying to get more recovery time...

I do have other significant stressors going on right now, like a wife who's 8-months pregnant, and trying to start a new business... but it feels like a direct reaction to the change in training.

Zach
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
Aidan O Brien

Profile:
I good be talking out my behind here ( it's happened before ) but your body will normally tell you what it needs and it would seem that your needed more sleep!

To be honest, i wouldn't blame the whole thing on CF, maybe CF just pushed you over the edge a little?

It sounds to me like you had a lot on your plate and maybe if you look back a little bit you will see that you were very tired while waking for the last few weeks?

As my father says "It's not how long you sleep, be it 4 hours or 12, it's how you feel while waking that counts"

In short, if you feel better now during the day with the CF and more sleep then surely thats a better situation?
Old 04-21-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
For most people 7 hours of sleep is not ideally enough. 8 hours plus is what most people require.

I expect that CF put more demands on your body and it is now telling you that it needs more sleep.

Remember that insufficient sleep will affect hormonal balance in your body and can cause your recovery and fitness gains to suffer. Conversely, sufficient sleep will help you recover and reach fitness goals much more quickly.