CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:
Convince Parents

hey you guys, i got a problem. You see, my parents (specifically my mom) don't think that i should do crossfit. I'm a 15 year old kid at 5'7" and about 180-185 lbs. I'm about 20 lbs away from my ideal weight and my thighs have too much muscle on them from doing squats in football. My parents think that all i need to do is running to lose weight. They think that i don't need all this "extra" stuff, just good old fashioned running. They work at hospitals, so when i told them it was better than running, they wanted to see studies that proved it. Being 15, i have no idea how to go about getting these things, so i'm wondering if you guys could help me. What i've been trying to convince them is that Crossfit would get me into better shape than i would if i just ran. Just so you know, i'm pretty average athletic wise, and pretty strong for my size. I play football and throw shot and discus in track, and with Crossfit, my overall fitness level would skyrocket and that would help my playing ability. And i've tried showing them the website, and the first thing they said when they saw the main page was, "That's it?" And when i showed them what crossfit was, they stuck to their side of the argument. This sucks b/c without their permission i can't go to the affiliate near me to begin. so after a long rant, wuts a kid to do?

Last edited by Jacob Rumschik : 03-29-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: Convince Parents

Lots of us do not go to an affilliate. You may be somewhat limited by equipment that way, but there are lots of things you can do even with zero equipment, or with a small investment. Search function will reveal them.

Side note: your thighs are not too muscular from doing squats... the rest of your body just isn't up to the standard of your thighs!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:

Actually they are, i'm trying to bring them back down to normal size b/c i'm trying to be leaner at about 150-160 lbs.

Well i can't do crossfit even w/o equipment if they won't let me. And besides, i want to be able to get the full benefit of Crossfit by using the equipment.

Last edited by Jacob Rumschik : 03-29-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Jennifer Higgins

Profile:

Hi there,
You might show your parents some of the research studies supporting High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) as a starting place. Some people respond well to reading the official word. You could look up the studies of Dr. Tabata and you could look up some of the work of Mark Smith PhD, exercise physiologist. I believe Clarence Bass had a study on his site somewhere (sorry to not have the details) describing the benefits of HIIT over traditional cardio for weight loss. I think you are really taking the right approach trying to get your folks on your side. Another option would be to find a trainer in your area who uses HIIT. Depending on where you are it might not be a Cross Fit person. If you feel like that trainer is articulate maybe your folks could meet with him/her and the trainer could explain to them the benefits of a xfit-style, HIIT workout over cardio/running. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Canadian military study.

It's on this site... somewhere.

nm found it wfs
http://www.crossfit.com/cf-journal/c...lidity_041.pdf
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 PM   #6
Alex Blum

Profile:

why would you want to lose muscle to become leaner? fat, sure . . . but muscle? i don't get your reasoning
Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Jacob Rumschik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Blum View Post
why would you want to lose muscle to become leaner? fat, sure . . . but muscle? i don't get your reasoning
I want to balance out my muscle size. And my thigh muscles are almost big enough to hinder me in my running, so there is a reason for it.

Last edited by Jacob Rumschik : 03-29-2008 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #8
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

This was actually off Steven's recent thread:

Not really family safe for mom. Especially the picture of MWA member Neely Tartaglia. Best bet is to print the article out without pictures or just copy and paste the text.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/perf...e_ahha_moments

I want people to read the article and I think you should, so I won't spoil it. It does cover the issue of you wanting to burn off fat versus just running off a lot of calories.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #9
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jacob
Hand them a printed copy of the "What is Fitness?" article.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Besides the report, maybe you could ask for a trial period? If you show significant improvements in fitness, maybe they'll be convinced.

Since you don't mention them being worried about possible injury, I assume they simply don't want to be suckered into spending money on a useless program. It's actually smart, you just have to make them realize that it's not the newest workout from Men's Fitness.