CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 AM   #261
Tamara Cohen

Profile:
Re: Classic Rip (collection of quotes, many hilarious, many NOT w/f/s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Benton View Post
Tamara, just had to say this... From your pic I immediately recognize you from Durham this past weekend, HAH.

It was an awesome event!
I am NEVER recognizable, Andrew .

Yeah, it was. I was happy to be cheering and not competing.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #262
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
From his barbell cert last year:

He was teaching hip drive on squats when someone asked why CF doesn't teach it that way for air squats. That attendee then asked if it was possible to do LBBS-style squats with hip drive quickly in the context of a metcon-type workout. Rip said, sure, let's give it a try.

So the guy stands up and starts cranking out hip-drive air squats, maybe 1 every 3 seconds. Rip tells him to go faster, so he speeds it up a little. Rip tells him to go faster again, so he speeds it up a little, but obviously not to Rip's liking.

So Rip voiced his displeasure:
"FASTER G**D***IT, IT'S TABATA TIME!"

So apparently a friend mine who just did a cert told me they still teach you that the end all be all goal of the squat is the have as vertical a torso as possible, without any mention of hip drive or lbbs. Rip must be rolling over in his grave (eh, I mean his gym).
Old 12-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #263
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
So apparently a friend mine who just did a cert told me they still teach you that the end all be all goal of the squat is the have as vertical a torso as possible, without any mention of hip drive or lbbs. Rip must be rolling over in his grave (eh, I mean his gym).
That's great if you want to OHS or front squat (look at the torso angles of the 53kg Chinese women who can out-C&J and out-snatch me, for instance), not so great if you want to work the posterior chain and squat a lot of weight. Why the L1 doesn't at least mention that is beyond me.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #264
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Because you know everyone should look exactly the same at the bottom of a squat regardless of their anthropometry. If you don't, you can't be a member of the cult...I mean, club...
Old 12-13-2010, 10:44 PM   #265
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
That's great if you want to OHS or front squat (look at the torso angles of the 53kg Chinese women who can out-C&J and out-snatch me, for instance), not so great if you want to work the posterior chain and squat a lot of weight. Why the L1 doesn't at least mention that is beyond me.
Agreed
Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 PM   #266
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
Because you know everyone should look exactly the same at the bottom of a squat regardless of their anthropometry. If you don't, you can't be a member of the cult...I mean, club...
Unbelievable.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #267
Thomas Green

Profile:

When asked if someone w/o a squat rack at their gym could do starting strength, only with all the squats on the smith machine:

"Then you won't be doing squats, because squats cannot be done on a smith machine anymore than they can be done on a pinball machine"