CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #11
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: "You have to wear a belt"

If you're going to wear a belt just make sure you keep it on all the time. Especially if you're going to do a set of curls...seated. That's when it's best. I love gyms...
Old 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #12
Matt Stearley

Profile:

A link regarding weight belts from the American College of Sports Medicine journal. Take it with a grain of salt, as it was written by some know-it-all doctors from the Mayo Clinic.

http://www.acsm-msse.org/pt/re/msse/...195629!8091!-1

From the conclusions section "..it is proposed that lumbar stabilization education and appropriate exercises be prescribed, as opposed to recommending external stabilization of the spine via a weight lifting belt."
Old 02-16-2008, 08:07 PM   #13
James Forbes

Profile:

Matt and Thomas,
Well said by both of you!
Old 02-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

I personaly never wear a belt and can DL445 but I have seen some lifters on CF wear them. Didn't one of the fellas on the quest for 300# overhead wear one. I just started going heavier in my O lifts and I still don't plan on wearing a belt. I train for my job and I ain't gonna wear no fruity belt in a fire. I would venture to say form and common sense will give you your answer. I don't know if you should listen to me I am a knuckle dragger.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
James Besenyei

Profile:

Great link Matt, thanks.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #16
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Yeah, I take a bit of offense at the "know-it-all doctor" comment. My dad's a doc, deals mainly with sports injuries. Yeah. He doesn't wear a belt. He's a proponent of the Valsalva maneuver, and is now reading SS. Most doctors are just misinformed. They're not out to get you, they just have been taught that belts are safer, and they're looking out for your best interest. Most of them, anyways.

I think belts are BS. This is probably because of my dad, but I think you should strengthen all your trunk support muscles as you train the main muscle groups involved in the lift. You should NEVER lift more with artificial support (be it straps, belts, whatever), than you could on your own. If your grip sucks for deadlifts, let it limit the lift and strengthen it. Otherwise you're going to be imbalanced and that's just asking for trouble.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #17
Joe Shininger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar Cook View Post
Yeah, I take a bit of offense at the "know-it-all doctor" comment. My dad's a doc, deals mainly with sports injuries. Yeah. He doesn't wear a belt. He's a proponent of the Valsalva maneuver, and is now reading SS. Most doctors are just misinformed. They're not out to get you, they just have been taught that belts are safer, and they're looking out for your best interest. Most of them, anyways.

I think belts are BS. This is probably because of my dad, but I think you should strengthen all your trunk support muscles as you train the main muscle groups involved in the lift. You should NEVER lift more with artificial support (be it straps, belts, whatever), than you could on your own. If your grip sucks for deadlifts, let it limit the lift and strengthen it. Otherwise you're going to be imbalanced and that's just asking for trouble.
Great advice. Couldn't have said it better.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #18
Steven Low

Profile:

There's an easy way to see if anyone who 'gives you advice' knows what they're talking about which is namely ask them to explain the specifics on why. If they can't obviously don't take their opinion with much salt because they're uninformed. If they do then it may be a valid concern or their preference in which you may want to get a second opinion or go to someone more knowledgable in the field (a la Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength in this specific instance).
Old 02-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #19
Tom Rawls

Profile:

On the Catalyst Athletics site, I notice that the lifters sometimes are wearing belts. Catalyst is the site where Greg Everett offers an Olympic lifting program. I believe the photos are taken at Mike Burgener's gym.

Experienced lifters with close ties to Xfit sometimes wear a belt. What do they know that some of the posters here don't?
Old 02-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
On the Catalyst Athletics site, I notice that the lifters sometimes are wearing belts. Catalyst is the site where Greg Everett offers an Olympic lifting program. I believe the photos are taken at Mike Burgener's gym.

Experienced lifters with close ties to Xfit sometimes wear a belt. What do they know that some of the posters here don't?
Tom:

I don't think it's that they know something that we don't; it's that their sport allows its use. And make no mistake, having a belt on will give you a few more extra pounds on a lift. I did 10 lb better on my DL at the Games with a bad back - using a belt to help my stabilization. (And that was 435). I am certain that I could squat 10-15 more pounds with a belt helping to hold my lumbar curve as I come out of the hole and keep me from tipping forward that slight bit that makes a difference at your true 1 RM.

I've worked out with Greg, Aimee, Sage, and the whole crew there at Mike's Gym. Sometimes they use belts when they're going BIG on their lifts - which is typically when you see a video clip - but sometimes they don't. I don't recall seeing everybody all "geared up" every time I worked out there, and I probably worked out there about 15 times over the course of 10 months, give or take.

I almost always go beltless and never use gloves or straps, but I know for certain whenever I use a belt, I can go a little more than I otherwise would with nothing but me old lumbar.