CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #1
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:
"You have to wear a belt"

I've been seeing a doc for my elbow for two weeks. Basically he's just doing the electric stim and ultrasonic stim. It's working, whatever...

I gave him a quick version of CrossFit and he seems to have zeroed in on the olympic lifting part and lectures me every time I go in about how I need to be wearing a belt so that I don't rip my abs and get a hernia. He said this rule is enforced at the OSU weight room where he went to school and he's worked with too many guys that have ripped their abdominal wall.

Is this really a legit concern? I don't think I've ever seen a CrossFit athlete wearing a belt but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I tried to explain that we aren't anything like power lifters but I don't think he understands.

Last edited by Aaron Shaffer : 02-16-2008 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Brent Sallee

Profile:
Re: "You have to wear a belt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
I've been seeing a doc for my elbow for two weeks. Basically he's just doing the electric stim and ultrasonic stim. It's working, whatever...

I gave him a quick version of CrossFit and he seems to have zeroed in on the olympic lifting part and lectures me every time I go in about how I need to be wearing a belt so that I don't rip my abs and get a hernia. He said this rule is enforced at the OSU weight room where he went to school and he's worked with too many guys that have ripped their abdominal wall.

Is this really a legit concern? I don't think I've ever seen a CrossFit athlete wearing a belt but maybe I just haven't been paying attention. I tried to explain that we aren't anything like power lifters but I don't think he understands.
Well, let me pose this question to you: have you read of anybody here on the CF forums tearing their abdominal wall doing a WOD? I personally haven't and have been lurking for quite a bit. I don't think that's such a great concern since those at CF stress FORM FORM FORM, which will prevent these types of injuries. I don't think it's too big of a concern really since CF makes sure that people know what they're doing.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Greg Privitera

Profile:

belts set you up for future injuries, IMO
Old 02-16-2008, 03:34 PM   #4
James Besenyei

Profile:

For some good visual evidence look for pics/vids of the best O-Lifters in the world, belts are scarce. And, I second Greg's statement.

Last edited by James Besenyei : 02-16-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #5
Brad Davis

Profile:

I'd say he's being a bit extreme, but it's worth noting that Rippetoe doesn't seem to have a problem with belts in SS:BBT, although I think he stops just short of saying to use one, IIRC.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Justin Leigh

Profile:

During normal WOD they don't seem necessary... the only time I get nervous is during max deadlift workouts. I haven't been wearing one during heavy deadlifting but as I get stronger and lift more it seems like it might not be a bad idea..
Old 02-16-2008, 04:36 PM   #7
Joe Shininger

Profile:

I would think a belt would get in your way...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #8
Andrew H. Meador

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post

You're right. He doesn't understand. He's a typical now-it-all doctor and he needs to stop dispensing bad advice. The olympic lifts are fundamentally sound movements. Squat and power cleans and snatches, split and push jerks, etc. are NOT powerlifting movements, and when practiced correctly they are quite safe.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Grant Scalf

Profile:

SS has a good section on the efficacy of a belt and what exactly it does.

The owner of the gym I go to said to me, "The next time I see you squat, I want to see a belt around your waist." Knowing what I know now (thanks Rip!), I asked him if he even knew what a belt did for the human body. He gave me some bs about keeping your spine from popping out of place. I may have smirked in his face, and he may have asked me to either do it or he'll nullify my contract. I have just been biding my time for it to expire anyways, but this may move me forward in my plans of getting the rest of the equipment for a home gym...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

Wear your transvers abdominus belt tight throughout every lift...just like the doc says....