CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Chris White

Profile:
Post Rhabdo Question

Hi guys. I am 3 weeks post rhabdo. Swollen arms weakness lack of ROM and everything came and has gone. Kidneys were highly monitored CK levels were sky high. It's not a fun process...trust me you want to avoid it but at this point I feel great other than a pull up problem.

My question/s is this. How long until you are back to normal strength? I did pull ups daily and could do about 8-10 dead hang pull ups at a time. I can't even do 1 now. I can't even budge an inch. I'm talking my elbows are locked out in the start position I put out max effort and the elbow joint stays locked out...minor rotation at the shoulder is about all I can get. This is 3 weeks post rhabdo. I started off slow but all of my lifts have gone back to or are close to normal strength. I just can't do a pull up to save my life now. So I jumped on the gravitron assisted pull up machine and used 20 lbs of assistance...no dice. 40lbs no dice...I got all the way up to 135lbs of assistance before I could do a pull up...I am a 27 year old male 6'1 and weigh in at a pretty fit 215lbs. That is an absurd amount of assistance for my weight. I had to actually push myself back down at the top because my weight wasn't enough to force it back down.

Anybody know how long it takes to get pull ups back? Am I going to have to start all over again? Or will the motion just come back to me at some point?

Thanks!
Old 02-06-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: Post Rhabdo Question

which wod caused the rhabdo? im guessing it was one with pull ups involved... if this is the case maybe its a mental thing
Old 02-06-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Chris,

I was in the hospital for 2-1/2 days in August with rhabdo. Yeah, not a pleasant experience.

I don't have my workout log with me, but it took me a while to get back my pull ups, which is what put me in the hospital. I'd say it was probably 5 or 6 weeks. I was really careful, and could tell that my body just didn't want to, or wasn't ready to do lots of pull ups. Since then I haven't done ANY jumping pull ups, except to learn how to kip. I did self-assisted pull ups - bar at throat height, use my legs as little as possible to get the job done.

Listen to your body! You are susceptible for a while as your arms heal. I'll look at my log when I get home from work.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:58 AM   #4
Amy Crawford

Profile:

Let's see Chris ... I was in the hospital 8/24-26. Did some running and bike riding for a few weeks before even attempting any lifting. Did a severely scaled Filthy Fifty (20 reps) using the gravitron for the pull ups. Did various other lifts (BS, FS, DL, Cleans, PP, PJ, etc) for a while. Did some self-assisted pull ups on 10/10, then jumping kipping on 10/16. More self-assisted through October and early November. I see that on 11/20 I did a descending set (4...1) of dead hang. So, that was almost 3 months. But I was VERY careful and took things slowly. Now I'm doing Joshie with kips (126 pull ups in 29 minutes).

Just take it easy!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
Chris White

Profile:

Thanks so much for the replies guys!

Jake,

It was jumping pull ups - push ups - and squats.

I did think it could be mental but I've just read so many accounts of weakness lasting oddly for 3 months with a slow return along the 3 months...which is exactly how long it looks like it took Amy to get her pull ups back. I will not deny however that there is no mental side to it.

Amy,

Thanks for the info! 3 months to get them back huh? I have read over and over that it can take up to 3 months to fully regain your strength but I figured I'd be doing one or two by now...since my lifts went back to normal so quickly I thought maybe my pull ups would come back quickly. Bummer! Yeah I've been taking it really easy since. I have cut almost all of the WOD'S in half right now. The first week after I did nothing but "cardio" once...flag football game. The second week I only worked out twice and went very very light. I also only did about 1 set of 10 reps per body part. Last week I jumped into scaled WOD's. Yesterday was actually the end of my 4th week post rhabdo. I also do the assisted pull ups lowering the smith machine bar to about chest height and using legs...no jumping for me as well!

Thanks for the input...I am super glad you keep such a good log!! Haha.

Did you have any setbacks over the past several months? Did you take extra rest days? I'm trying to listen to my body but I feel great. What really throws me off is I walked away from the rhabdo causing workout thinking it was easy. So I'm not sure I can trust my body...well that is a half joke and half truth. I am ready for a break on rest days but who isn't? Haha. I do find I'm second guessing myself in workouts now. It's just not fun as you obviously know! A bit of the mental game Jake mentioned.

Thanks again guys it helps so much to get this input!

Chris
Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:

While I didn't get rhabdo, I had a similar situation (muscle weakness and/or inability to activate certain muscles) after a long layoff and subsequent return to GH situps (~75 in a workout total).

While I am now doing 3 x 15 of GH situps, my L-sit still hasn't returned to what it was before. This is like 6 months later.

I may have recently induced a minor variation of this to my triceps.