CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
Jason Donaldson

Profile:
CrossFit Rip Off

I'm in the process of affiliating and was pretty excited today because I've found a place to use, a gym aptly named "The Wharehouse". It has everything I need, you can use chalk, and best of all, will only cost me $25/mth! The funny thing is I've been training there for a year but finally spoke to the owner today and got things squared away!

Then I get home and find a letter from the Business Names Registration Department saying they've knocked back my application to register CrossFit Perth as there's already a CrossFit Health Centre in WA!!! Guess what? These guys are not affiliates and have nothing to do with Crossfit Inc. To say I'm ****ed off is an understatement.

I've flicked an email off to HQ advising them, but I'm not sure what can be done as I don't know if the CrossFit Inc is protected over here.

What I do have to do though, is come up with another name. It can still be CrossFit Perth, but I have to put something in front of it such as Jason's CrossFit Perth (which sounds crap!) or Tactical CrossFit Perth coz everything is much cooler when it's got Tactical in front of it

Any suggestion on a new name would be gratefully accepted because my creativity is pretty ordinary.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #2
Chris Drewry

Profile:
Re: CrossFit Rip Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Donaldson View Post
I'm in the process of affiliating and was pretty excited today because I've found a place to use, a gym aptly named "The Wharehouse". It has everything I need, you can use chalk, and best of all, will only cost me $25/mth! The funny thing is I've been training there for a year but finally spoke to the owner today and got things squared away!

Then I get home and find a letter from the Business Names Registration Department saying they've knocked back my application to register CrossFit Perth as there's already a CrossFit Health Centre in WA!!! Guess what? These guys are not affiliates and have nothing to do with Crossfit Inc. To say I'm ****ed off is an understatement.

I've flicked an email off to HQ advising them, but I'm not sure what can be done as I don't know if the CrossFit Inc is protected over here.

What I do have to do though, is come up with another name. It can still be CrossFit Perth, but I have to put something in front of it such as Jason's CrossFit Perth (which sounds crap!) or Tactical CrossFit Perth coz everything is much cooler when it's got Tactical in front of it

Any suggestion on a new name would be gratefully accepted because my creativity is pretty ordinary.
Might just be that someone did the back end work on the front end.

Similar thing happened in her in Memphis. I secured my License, website, marketing materials, insurance... and THEN affiliated.

But someone had already requested the name CrossFit Memphis. So I changed my name/material/website etc.

Just because you dont have your city/towns name in your title is not a bad thing. Sometimes it makes you more recognizable to the public as you are not specifically attached to a locale.

Think long and hard about your name, and what you want it to represent. I pondered my new name for almost 3 weeks, and I woke up int he middle of the night, jumped straight up and yelled the name. Its more exciting because its more personal.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Crossfit Thunderdome

or Terrordome

or Traumadome

but not Trazadome
Old 01-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:

HQ will definatly want to know about that, before I affilaited ( First Aussie one back in 2006) there was a gym in camberra that was using the name crossfitaustralia.com and had a web page up an everything.They where not an affilate and the web page was taken down not long after i affilated.

These guys in perth may be on the level and in the process of affilaiting but then again they may not and HQ needs to know.

Fiona
CrossFIt North Queensland
Old 01-10-2008, 10:40 PM   #5
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Thanks guys

I'm thinking Ultimate CrossFit. But like I said, my creativity is pretty crap so I've put it out to a few fellow CrossFitters over here and we'll see what we come up with.

I've cooled down a bit now
Old 01-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #6
Sam Cannons

Profile:

That sucks Jason, good luck with the name and start up. Maybe "Crossfit West" ?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Yeah it does suck, but if that's the worst thing to ever happen, business will be pretty good!

Can't use CrossFit West either . That was on my list previously. Gotta have something before "CrossFit". Thanks for the suggestion though.

Ultimate CrossFit - Perth is sounding ok to me. What's the views on that?
Old 01-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
Jerry Mobbs

Profile:

Perth Crossfit

You've got Mt Baker Crossfit on the main site so why not change the order round?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:11 AM   #9
Jason Donaldson

Profile:

Unfortunately Jerry, more dumb arse rules. Can't use a location name before "CrossFit"
Old 01-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #10
Mike Kelley

Profile:

there's an "Ultimate CrossFit" in Charlotte...not sure if that matters, just thought I'd point it out.