CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-05-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Tim Miceli

Profile:
Question Cost of CrossFit?

Hey all, a Gym out here just opened up a CrossFit area and the sessions seem a bit steep cost wise for something that you are supposed to do 3 times a week or more. ($25-$30 per session)

So I was curious what do you folks pay for CrossFit sessions at your gyms or where ever it is that you do it.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Cost of CrossFit?

If that's just drop-in fee, then you should ask about a monthly membership and see if that's better (if you are indeed going to go frequently). Otherwise you could just go in occasionally and do crossfit on your own. It's not too expensive to pick up a barbell, plates, and pull-up bar.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:22 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I'm a cheap bastard and I'm glad the local CF club has a 10 dollar open gym drop in. I think it's used to get people in to try it. It's 25 for a class though, and I'm probably not sociable enough to enjoy working out with people I don't know. Some of the members try to convince me that I need a membership, but ehh.

Ok, I'm not, but I don't really go to do someone else's workout with them supervising me. A little bit of this is ego I'm sure. However if I wanted to learn how to Oly lift or something I wasn't familiar with, I'd go for it. If it was with someone who knew more than me, sure. If I wasn't being cheap, I might also be up for going to check out someone's class that I was curious about. At 25 though, I'm just not that curious and too cheap.

I think another local gym has a drop in open gym that's 25. While I'd love to get my friend to come with me and go there, we'd be dropping 50 for an hour. That's staggering to think. Besides, I'm mainly going since I don't have heavy weights or the space for them or the initial money.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
Aaron Shaffer

Profile:

I think most CF gyms are $10-25 for a drop-in. Monthly membership is really the way to go. I remember I thought it was expensive when I started but the quality of instruction at a CF gym is so far above traditional gyms -- it's totally worth the price.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:19 PM   #5
Theresa Meyer

Profile:

Most affiliates have a drop-in fee of $15.

CF isn't 3 times per week, it's 3 days of work followed by 1 day of rest.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Shaffer View Post
I remember I thought it was expensive when I started but the quality of instruction at a CF gym is so far above traditional gyms -- it's totally worth the price.
Excellent point, Aaron.

Tim, every affililate and trainer is different in the CF World so prices vary greatly according to the location, just as salaries, real estate, and cost of living vary greatly according to location.That being said, my clients say things like, "This is an absolute steal" and "This is the best money I spend all month" -- which is a good indicator that they feel they're getting quality instruction for their money. Probably the only way to find out is to talk to others who have joined your local affiliate or sign up yourself. Get a few workouts and then make your own decision. Good luck.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:07 PM   #7
Tim Miceli

Profile:

Hi all,

I checked they want 10 sessions at $300 or 20 for $580 I would love to set up a garage but I don't own one yet. The wife and I rent an apartment. Any suggestions? Do I just modify stuff so they can be done sans weights?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2008, 04:19 PM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:

Get creative, you can do lots without a full on garage gym.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:33 PM   #9
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Miceli View Post
Hi all,

I checked they want 10 sessions at $300 or 20 for $580 I would love to set up a garage but I don't own one yet. The wife and I rent an apartment. Any suggestions? Do I just modify stuff so they can be done sans weights?

Thanks
Move to CT! We'll take care of you!

Seriously, though, Paul has good advice with the "be creative" angle. A couple of kettlebells (or dumbbells), a pull-up bar, and a set of running shoes can take you pretty far. What you will be missing is the instruction and that's the tough part. (But I can understand your price objections.) View the videos again and again. Read everything you can. Master everything you can. It's tough in the winter but, once spring hits, the outdoors will hold a lot opportunities for you.

Good luck.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Jeff R Tucker

Profile:

our drop in is 15 bucks
we offer open gym for Cross Fit no contracts - if you have real knowledge or previous certs in the training (and we check you out) for 40 bucks
2 classes per week is 75 for the month
3 classes per week is 85 for the month and so on

we think that our market will bare that well and it is very competitive to closer gyms in Texas.

hope that helps out.