CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 10-19-2004, 02:22 AM   #1
Ari Vuorte

Profile:

Is there anyone out there who has been doing crossfit with bw only as a resistance?
Just curious what kind of results you are getting and who you modify the wod's?

-Ari
Old 10-19-2004, 04:25 AM   #2
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I pretty much have only body weight. I now have about 75lbs of weights and a homemade medicine ball. And I must say the results have been increadable. I Have gone from a 34in waist to a 30-29in waist in jeans. And I have gone from 25% body fat to 12% as of yesterday. My strenght has increased greatly, when I started I could only do 3 pullups and yesterday I had a new record of 14. These are just some of the major results.

I really don't modify too much only if I don't have the equipment i.e. a rower, so instead I will do Sumo Dead Lifts. Most of the stuff I can figure out some way of doing it either at the park or here at the house. A good example is Back Extentions, I don't have anywhere that I can do them so I have my wife hold my feet and I lay across a small table we have in the house (she just loves that).

Have no fears if you have a good diet and do the WODs the best you can you will have tremendous results in no time.

BTW I started in June, so it hasn't taken very long.
Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 AM   #3
Matt O'Donnell

Profile:

Michael,

How do you modify the WOD when it calls for heavy, low rep stuff? Like with the "Deadlift 3-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1 reps" workout for example?

And what do you do instead of high rep C&J, etc. Do you do explosive BW drills (Burpees or something) instead?

Matt
Old 10-19-2004, 06:48 PM   #4
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I still do those workouts I just use what I have and think of it as an easier day. But for my warmups I will do alot more on those days. Pullups, L-sits, handstands, Russian twists, run, jump rope, and anything I am weak on.

Even when I don't have the weight I will just work on the form. I have learned that the form can always be improved. I will also focus on the muscle group being worked to see if I am using it the best way or if I am compensating with other groups of muscles.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:02 PM   #5
Kawika Harbottle

Profile:
Excuse Mr Pearce,

The exercises you posted as your warm ups, your reasoning for those are because they are your weaker BWEs? I am wondering how to vary the warm up for days I have no access to any apparatus except for pull up bars. Which are mostly days I have my infant daughter with me all day.

thank you
Old 10-20-2004, 02:31 AM   #6
Michael Pearce

Profile:
If you do a search for travel workouts or workouts on vacation you should get quit a few good workouts that require nothing more then a pullup bar or just body weight. Also there are plenty of discussions on warmups as well as the Crossfit Journal which has one about warmups.

Here is a good thread about doing a warm to work a weak area as well http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/5850.html
Old 10-23-2004, 09:00 AM   #7
Roy Taylor

Profile:
The most effective way to make your stomach huge, even with low BF is heavy olympic lifting and deadlifting.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:26 AM   #8
Ross Greenberg

Profile:

Something leads me to believe that your large stomach was more of a health issue than a clean and jerk, snatch, and deadlift issue. Check out Pirros Dimas from the olympics, the guy clean and jerked a car, yet still had a six pack and a bulge free waist. Look at Greg Amundson, huge deadlift, no huge stomach. Even me, I can deadlift in the high 300's and if anything my stomach is smaller than when I started lifting heavy.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:46 AM   #9
Roy Taylor

Profile:
I concluded this when i dumped all weight lifting(mainly because of the wrist joint) and did more gymnastics andL-sitting) Body fat hasnt changed, but the the waist dropped over an inch already.

This thread was helpful and enlightening:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/21/5513.html

Cheers
Old 10-25-2004, 06:01 AM   #10
Steve Shafley

Profile:
You also changed your diet at that time as well. I don't think that dropping heavy weightlifting is going to reduce your waist size an inch in a few weeks.