CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #1
Tim Davis

Profile:
MEBB clarification

I've been looking at the ME Black Box in the Performance Menu journal(s). It recommends "gymnastics movements" before the ME day, and metcon days after the ME day.

Is there a link or simple explanation to differentiate between metcon and 'gymnastics?' (Most seem like metcon to me and I'm no gymnast, so I don't really know what a "gymnastics" exercise is: JT? Elizabeth? Mary? Anything using bodyweight?)

Are the WODs 100% random, or are they random according to a similar formula (day 1 = metcon, day 2 = strength, day 3 = gymnastics, day 4 = rest, etc)?
Old 10-31-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: MEBB clarification

When you refer to gymnastics or Parkour or martial arts it's generally referred to as skill training. Skill training is best to do when fresh so it gets ingrained well neurologically into your system. If you practice with fatigue and do it with bad technique then you're ingraining the wrong movement patterns into your system. An example of "gymnsatics" that they're referring to is stuff like swinging techniques on rings, holding handstands (not for long periods of time), cartwheels, roundoffs, forward rolls, backward rolls, etc. which are techniques.

So it generally goes: (1) warmup/dynamic flexibility (2) skill training/gymnastics/etc. (3) ME/strength (4) metcon (5) static flexibility (6) cooldown

As for WODS it generally goes by metcon,strength,metcon,rest although it can differ some. There's an article somewhere in CFJ that discusses it and there was a thread recently on the forum in either fitness or exercises about this.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Tim Davis

Profile:

So they're "incorrect" when it says, "... You could also precede ME days with more gymnastics movements." What they really mean to say is "sport specific movements?" I take it to mean a "gymnastics-based WOD" (i.e. ring dips, rope climbs, HSPU, pistols, etc).
Old 10-31-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

They're not incorrect. They could've been clearly by meaning skill training.. which would include gymnastics movements. Sport specific movements is another way to put it if you want. Gymnastics is a fundamental part of both Pmenu and CF workouts because of the ability gymnastics has to develop good proprioception for fitness so that's why they specified gymnastics movements.

Gymnastics based WODs are generally classified as metcons if they are circuits and strength if they are based on high intensity relatively low repetition workouts broken down into sets.

I'll be back later if you have anymore questions.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
Tim Davis

Profile:

Nevermind, I found exactly what I was asking for right under my nose.
I'm posting this in case someone else is curious and reads this thread:

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...F_Template.pdf