CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #11
Barry Cooper

Profile:
I was playing with the training set concept on the Armstrong Program, and normally mine are 4-5/set. Last Sunday, I decided to try dropping it and doing my sets on the minute. I did ten sets with 2 reps, and then 65 with 3. I alternated over and under-grip. It took me 75 minutes of course. I had more sets in me, but I ran out of time. It worked out to 215 pullups. I haven't seen any immediate training effect, but I think I will keep doing something like that periodically, time permitting. I think I like the training set concept better than the ladder concept.
Old 01-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #12
Tyler Hass

Profile:
What Mark says is probably true about top level gymnasts as well. I think they could probably do a lot of them and could build up to high numbers rapidly because of their limit strength. I was talking with Jordan Jovtchev and he doesn't practice pullups, ever. They are so far behind him that he probably hasn't done many since he was a kid. It's kind of funny, because I often see people ask questions like, "How do gymnasts train or how can I train like a gymnast?" The answer is usually pull-ups. So it's funny that top level gymnasts really don't do them. Not muscle-ups either. Jordan usually just practices his routine 3x per day. And he did some planche pushups on parallel bars. He looked like I would look performing regular pushups.
But pullups are a great exercise, as are weighted pullups. They are just not very specific to high level gymnastics.

Tyler
www.ringtraining.com
Old 01-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #13
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Oh, I remember one more thing. Jordan has a Bulgarian friend that can do 15 one-arm pullups in a row. It's all he trains. And he's 60 years old. But that's all he is good at. He can't hold a support on rings. He shakes when he tries:-)

Tyler
Old 01-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #14
Aptdwler

Profile:

The STREND@yahoogroups.com had a video of a guy doing 50 pullups non-stop. It's pretty cool. I think it is still available, but you have to join the group (free).

http://www.geocities.com/fightraining
Old 01-11-2004, 08:15 PM   #15
FRANCO BELCASSIO

Profile:

during his normal gymnastic routine he probably does many many pull ups in some form or fashion as he performs his routine from start to finish. so even though he still doesnt go to the gym to do a specific pull up workout, his muscles are performing those movements many times in practice
Old 01-24-2004, 03:10 PM   #16
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
High Rep Pullups are definatly a goal,but check out this Pinch Front Lever.This motivates me.
http://www.dragondoor.com/cgi-bin/ar...&articleid=137
Old 01-28-2004, 12:37 PM   #17
Coach

Profile:

From our local crew:
3 athletes @ 50's Greg Amundson, Seth Pringle, Brian Lee
3-5 athletes @ 40's
7-10 athletes @ 30's
90% 20+

One of our 50+ weighs 200+.

We've got a waitress who went from zero to 14 in six months. If you don't have 30 you're only pretending to want pull-ups or you're fat.

EVERY pull-up program works. All of them. None is any better than another. No magic, no science, just pull-ups. The best thing about Armstrong is the name. If I were to push a magical pull-up program I'd have to call it "Backstrong". It'd be worth changing my name for.

We warm up and cool down with them unless the workout involves pull-ups.

If you watch TV at night, do some pull-ups during every commercial - you'll get 30 straight. If you drink beer, do fifteen for every beer and thirty for every urination - you'll get 30 straight (if you're any good at beer). I've seen both of these work.

There are an infinite number of programs that will get you to 30+ pull-ups and only one way to fail.

By the way, our highest performers use the best form.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:50 PM   #18
Coach

Profile:

Tyler, you found a high level gymnast that doesn't do them. I've known hundreds that did them all the time. Everyone who does planche push-ups has done countless muscle-ups and pull-ups or is pulling your leg. The pull-up's role in developing elite gymnastic strength cannot be overstated. When these guys can do Jordan's ring routine two or three times they too won't need to do additional pull-up work, but you'll never get there without the pull-ups. Never.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:56 PM   #19
Scott Parker

Profile:
coach-

those are some pretty harsh words! quote: "If you don't have 30 you're only pretending to want pull-ups or you're fat."

i think i smell a challenge!

i max out at around 23 pull-ups. wanna bet that i can get to 30 by the end of this semester?!

any other takers who want to step it up as well who are in the same boat?!

scott
Old 01-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #20
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
I'm in. I max around 23 as well. When's your semester end?