CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Michael Leach

Profile:
Smile How do I 'join' my power rack and lifting platform?

Last month I built your 'standard' 8x8 lifting platform. Well, just yesterday my power rack showed up and I'm not sure on the best way to 'join' them together.

I dont want to sit the power rack on top of the lifting platform as it will take up a little over half of it. I'm leaning towards the orientation of the power rack -to- lifting platform way it is; just building up the area inside/under the power rack.

The inside of power rack isn't exactly 48". Nor is the outside of the power rack. If I was to extend the center area of the platform into the power rack, it would have to be a few inches less than 48". I also wouldn't be able to make a perfect fit due to the nuts/brackets.

Another option would be to just lay down a few more pieces of plywood and extend the entire platform from 8x8 to 12x8. The power rack is actually 51" deep, but it wouldn't be a big deal if the front most part of the rack sat on a little bit of my existing plywood/rubber.

What would you guys do? Build up the entire area? Build up the inside only? I'd also like to incorporate a way to store my bumpers on or near the rack to save some space; I'm leaning towards building a half rack to sit on each side of the rack.

Here is a link to the pictures (theres half a dozen after this one):
http://picasaweb.google.com/michael....57831847271026
[link is w/f/s]

thanks!
-Mike
Old 10-04-2007, 02:50 PM   #2
Nathanial Neal

Profile:
Re: How do I 'join' my power rack and lifting platform?

Eugene Allen posted how he did his about 9 months ago probly more though. Looks like the same set up he had pictures to. Looked like he just cut the platform to fit in and the base of the rack was flush with the platform. Jusr do a quick search for it.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Are you going to O-lift in the rack? Why do you need it on the platform?
Old 10-04-2007, 03:11 PM   #4
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Oto View Post
Are you going to O-lift in the rack? Why do you need it on the platform?
I started off with the intention of just getting a squat rack, but then once i started looking at different options, I ended up going with a power rack. As of right now, when I step over to the power rack to get the bar for squatting, theres a 2" drop at the end of the platform; I just want to get the floor level all the same so I dont trip/fall/etc
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I have my rack sitting on a "tongue" of plywood that hangs off the back end of my lifting platform. I stand on the room's floor, rather than on part of the lifting platform, when I load and unload the bar in the rack.

It works fine and is perfectly safe while lifting ... but I should have just made the whole platform bigger. As it is, I need to be careful not to ding the floor beside the rack with a plate while loading/unloading, and the minor step up and down between the platform and the plate loading area is annoying. And, I suppose, a slight tripping hazard.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:36 AM   #6
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

I would recommend building a plywood or plywood/rubber floor for your power rack and then connecting the 2 together using plates and screws. They make plates that turn 90 degrees so they can be used on the sides to hold the two together. You could also attach the second layers with flat plates as long as you have a router to cut a groove to the top layer will lay flat on top of it. If your power rack is light enough that you are worried about it moving you could attach a longer piece of wood to the far end so the whole thing was held together.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Yeah just slap down some sheets of plywood and bolt the squat cage to it. Maybe put rubber on the top layer if you want, I dunno. I have a piece of carpeting between my feet and the cement garage floor in my cage.

I see you got the new one Jesup Gym sells? I got their old model a couple months ago... not as pretty as yours.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:51 AM   #8
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt DeMinico View Post
Yeah just slap down some sheets of plywood and bolt the squat cage to it. Maybe put rubber on the top layer if you want, I dunno. I have a piece of carpeting between my feet and the cement garage floor in my cage.

I see you got the new one Jesup Gym sells? I got their old model a couple months ago... not as pretty as yours.
I got the Powertec P-PR power rack. I've been researching power racks for the past couple weeks and finally decided to go with this one.

-The NYBB one sells for $259 shipped on 3dsxtreme.com, however their SSL Certificate expired a few weeks ago and they never received to my emails.
-Then it was down to ordering the NYBB one from NYBB directly for $300 shipped, but it didn't look like the spotter bars would work as a hook on the outside of the cage for a 2nd bar, and it was $20 more for another set of J-hooks plus almost $20 in shipping, so I crossed them off the list.
-I found the Bodysolid Powerline rack for $275 shipped on ebay, but their spotter bars and their J-hook type bar holder didn't look as manly as the type of hooks on the Powertec rack. The rack was also a few inches shallower than the Powertec.

There were some other reasons too; the Powertec uses 2.5" square tubing instead of 2", I had thought I read somewhere that it was made in the USA (but I found out afterwards its from China like the other racks I was considering), it has dip bars which aren't important to me but my wife just started crossfitting and it'll make a nicer transition into dipping progression then having her chicken-winging herself on my rings. The spotter bars and the bar catch are both solid steel and have the 'catches' on on the side where you have to turn it to get into place and then it locks around the uprights (if you've used a rack you know what I mean). Gee, what else, it has a chin-up bar attached; can always use more places to do pullups. um, it weighed more, i'd like to think thats a sign of higher quality; although in actuality it really could mean nothing. i think that wraps up most of the reasoning; I read lots of good reviews about Powertec's quality online; not that i'd buy any of their 'leverage' stuff (to each his own), but I'm happy with the rack.

bodybuilding.com sells the powertec rack for $350 shipped, but its out of stock. bigfitness.com sells it for $367.99 but wont price-match Powertec products. i had received a survey from bigfitness.com after ordering my yukon ghd from there and it took 5% off my next purchase, bringing the price to $350 shipped. the coupon code was generic - "SURVEY" - so I'm sure you could place an order online and get away with it. I actually used it again yesterday ordering a basic bench.

Back to the power rack and lifting platform ordeal; I think I'm just going to get another 3 sheets of plywood; 2 pieces of CDX stuff for the bottom 2 layers and then another pretty piece of hardwood plywood for the top. Thanks for all the suggestions guys!
Old 10-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #9
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

I'd build it up personally - make a tongue like addition to the platform. Or get a set of cheapo squat stands.

I like the cage. We have two of those - work really well.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:45 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Lookin' good. I love the platform.

As for the rack & mounting it, I TRIED to mount mine to the floor in my garage, but I got some CRAPpy concrete anchors, and not a single one of them worked. I did exactly like they said to do with them, even following exactly what the package said, and didn't work...

Anyhow, sorry for that rambling, what I was going to say is, you can bolt this puppy down to your wood, just probably use a 3/8" bolt or something (I think that's the size my anchors were going to be). Slap a washer and nut on the bottom side (which would require drilling a recessed hole obviously, and bolt it down from the top) Or do it the other way, put the bolt from the bottom, and use the bolt on the top... I dunno. I wish my platform looked like yours, that thing belongs on some home furnishing show or something.