CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-29-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
Steve Mccarthy

Profile:
new to the scene

Hi all,
like most people I find myself a bit short of time as I have a toddler and work 12 hour shifts. I live in Perth Western Australia and I don't Know if there are any other crossfit members here.
Basically I am finding it a bit hard to get started with crossfit as a lot of the workout exercises take a bit of research online which all takes time, which as I said before I am lacking in.
I was wondering if there is anybody in Perth who is currently up to speed with a lot of the routines or if there is any concise instructions on dvd or in book form available.
I am very keen to get started as each time I do manage to get online and see some of the inspirational stuff I just want to get stuck into it. But I would like to start with correct exercies and form from the very beggining.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited by Steve Mccarthy : 09-29-2007 at 08:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Re: new to the scene

The single most important thing Steve is that you begin. I for one have to clean out my gutters today...I'm in Tacoma, Washington, a bit of a distance from you. I would much rather do...well, just about anything else but it is something that must be done and the longer I put it off the bigger mess I will have to deal with later. Even if you have no equipment to speak of and no real understanding of the movements, you can still begin with variations of Angie for example. All you need is a pullup bar for this. Angie as Rx'd is 100 Pullups, 100 Pushups, 100 Situps and 100 Squats. You must finish with each one before you go to the next. You can do Fractured Runny Angie and do a 400 meter run then 25 of each four times. You can do 20 Pieces of Angie and do 5 reps of each 20 times. Pick your flavor and go, don't contemplate.

Unfortunately everything I know about Australia I learned from Crocodile Dundee and there wasn't a lot of geography instruction in that movie. There are plenty of CrossFitters in Australia but I don't know where they all are. Princess Fiona...where are you? Sydney? Can't remember. They will chime in to help though.

You will find videos and slide shows that show you how to do the exercises and very frequently the home page has a WOD demo so you can see how to do that day's WOD.

Go play with Angie or one of the other girls.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Steve Mccarthy

Profile:
Red face Re: new to the scene

Thanks Eugene,
You are right about leaving those jobs for later, I guess that fitness is one of "those" jobs.I will try and find a wod that i can easily follow and work from there. I just better be careful about telling my wife who I am going to go play with(ha ha).
This is why this is such a great site, already within a short time I am being encouraged to do something positive by somebody on the other side of the world.
I will add a picture of Perth in my profile to show you a little more of Australia.

Kind regards
Old 09-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #4
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Fitness isn't a job; it's a really kick *** hobby.
Old 09-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Kris Pritchard

Profile:
Talking Re: new to the scene

hey ya'll. I'm new to CF as well. Ive been doing the WOD for about 2 weeks and already feel stronger. I ran the virginia beach half marathon in september - wasn't real happy with my time(2:40) and feeling a little burnt out on distance running - thought I'd give this a try when I heard about it from a friend- LOVE it so far! any suggestions on the best way to substitute for/work up to doing full pull-ups?? can't seem to do that one - the rest of the excercises I seem to be managing- I competed in gymnastics for some time so I'm looking forward to a WOD that involves that type of excercise.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:30 PM   #6
Tim Newsome

Profile:

Steve, it sounds like you have the time to work out, just not the time to research and work out. If I were you I would just do the workout if you understand it, and otherwise research the workout instead of doing it. Pretty soon you'll have researched all the moves and won't be skipping any workouts.

If you do want to do something on your research days, I recommend the CrossFit warmup (which is plenty challenging if you do the full 15 reps of everything). Just be careful that you don't get too tired doing the warmup and doing that warmup every day. You don't want to be working eg. pull ups to failure several times a week. If you need to take breaks during the warmup, it's not a warmup.

But in any case get started with what you can do.

Tim
Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 AM   #7
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:

Kris - I began CrossFit from an endurance background having done triathlons, adventure races, marathons and the like for 15 years. I began CrossFit as a way to help me race better. Problem is I like CrossFit so much better my race schedule is almost empty. My perspective on fitness has changed dramatically and the utility in a practical sense of being able to swim, bike, run or whatever for half a day makes less and less sense.

CrossFit is the ultimate performance enhancer. Whatever you do you will do better with the addition of CrossFit training. As it happens pullups are a CrossFit staple. You will find that CrossFitters do a lot of pullups. When I started back in 2005 I was good for maybe 12 pullups, maybe. When we did Helen at a certification I had to break up the pullups. (Helen is a 400 meter run, 21 swings with a 52 lb kettlebell and 12 pullups done 3 times back to back for time). I could do the run OK and the swings weren't so bad but having to jump off the bar every few reps ruined my time. I decided to make pullups my friend. You must do the same.

OK, an aquaintance will do. If you can't do any there are a handful of methods to get you started. Jumping pullups come to mind and before you think of them as no big deal since you are jumping - try to do 100 of them as fast as you can. Stand on a box or other sturdy platform that is high enough to have your arms not quite to 90 degrees at the elbows when gripping the bar. Your starting position is arms extended with your legs in a partial squat. Now - jump and pull yourself to a pullup position with your chin over the bar. Come back down to the starting position with your arms extended and legs bent and go again, and again...betcha can't do all 100.

Go to http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/fitness-bands.php and get some bands. What size (color) you get will depend on how much assistance you need to do a pullup. Black is generally too strong and red is not enough, but blue or green should do the trick. Attach the band to your pullup bar, put your foot in the band and all of a sudden you can do full range of motion pullups. As you get better use a lighter band, use the band less often and then before you know it you won't need it any more.

Do negatives...but beware of how sore they will make you. Jump up to your pullup position and then fight the descent. Experiment with your grip and go commando - hold the bar so you are under the bar facing 90 degrees to it rather than parallel and pullup with your head on one side of the bar and then the other. Grease the groove by doing a few pullups throughout the day.

Go to the Competitions section and look up Eugene Allen's Birthday Pullup Challenge. On November 27 a bunch of CrossFitters will be throwing up their pullup numbers to see how many they can do on that day. You have a couple months, get your name in. You have none now, let's shoot for 5 by November 27...more if you're feeling bold. Nothing like a deadline to bring out the best in a person.

By the way, use the search function on the message board and you will find all kinds of pullup info.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Eugene, great solid post. I can only assume you have a secretary that takes dictation as you're either doing the WOD or cleaning gutters, then posts your replies.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
Derek Maffett

Profile:

Jay, you forgot: "go to a cert, drink milk, and squat."
Old 09-30-2007, 04:27 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Steve: check out the people on these threads, then send the a PM (private message) if their profile accepts them. There are at least half a dozen folks in and around Perth.

(all links work and family safe)
http://board.crossfit.com/showthread...ighlight=perth