CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #1
Zac Stutts

Profile:
For those with bumper plates and a platform

Here is the deal and this might be a long writeup so please bare with me:

I live in the bottom floor of an apartment building. This would not even be an issue if I was on the 2nd of 3rd floors but since I am on the bottom I think it changes the issue quite a bit. I know our floors can handle a bunch of weight from experience because I have a 55 gallon aquarium filled to the top on top of a 100 pound aquarium stand made out of oak in my living room. So I know it can handle weight but that is not my specific issue.

Right now in my room (we live in a 2 bedroom, my room only has 1) my dresser 2) a small fish tank on top of that dresser 3) a small desk with computer and last but not least 4) a body solid powerline power rack, which is on top of a 4x8 slab of plywood covered in puzzle piece flooring. Also next to the power rack I have over 400 pounds of weights, a safety squat bar, and my other crap bar that I bought from dicks that came in my weight set.

I have been thinking lately about selling my power rack so that I can do the following:

Buy squat stands (less room, portable)
Add in 3 more pieces of plywood (to make a platform, I already have 1 of the 4 pieces needed)
Buy 2 horse stall mats to complete the platform
Buy a budget olympic set from Wichita Falls Club from Glenn Pendlay which includes a good oly bar and 100% rubber bumpers.

If I sell my powerrack I can buy the squat stands and come out with a little more money that I had to begin with. So the only things I techinically would need to buy would be the rest of the wood, stall mats, and oly set.

Now, this whole idea is a moot point if I went to all that trouble to build a platform and get 100% rubber bumpers if, even with the precautions of a good platform with 2 layers of wood, stall mats and bumpers, there was too much noise created when dropping the weights. Considering I live in an apartment I don't want it to be an extremely loud thump and really have no idea how much noise the platform would kill nor how much noise the weights would create, even if they WERE rubber.

So what I am asking is this:

for those who have lifted on a good quality platform with good rubber bumpers (I know some make more than others, these would be 100% rubber and would bounce a little more so they might be more quiet) how loud is it? Would I be able to theoretically oly lift in my room and be able to drop weights without it feeling like an earthquake for everyone above me? Or would it not be as bad and the noise just be a loud bang but nothing that extreme? I just don't want to go to all this trouble then come to find out the first time I drop some weights that BOOOOOOOM ~vibrate~ its incredibly loud because then I would have invested a bunch of my time and more importantly money for something I can't really use.

Thanks for the help.

and if anyone asks why i dont go to a gym that has one - i work at my schools rec center and do personal training at their facilities - however, despite this i have been working out in my own room and love it. all i need now is a platform and then i will be completely set.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:49 PM   #2
Aaron Dutton

Profile:
Re: For those with bumper plates and a platform

I don't think I can help you with any of your questions. However, here is a link I saved from a while ago. Work/Family Safe. http://www.geocities.com/washingtonw...nforaQuiet.htm

The link has instructions on how to build a VERY quiet olympic lifting platform. It is more expensive than the kind you're talking about, but it appears that it would be very good for your use.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #3
Eric Azaren

Profile:

whats up HitItHard?

no answers at BB?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Matthew Miklius

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Dutton View Post
I don't think I can help you with any of your questions. However, here is a link I saved from a while ago. Work/Family Safe. http://www.geocities.com/washingtonw...nforaQuiet.htm

The link has instructions on how to build a VERY quiet olympic lifting platform. It is more expensive than the kind you're talking about, but it appears that it would be very good for your use.
This platform was my first recommendation, as well. However, depending on how tall our OP is, there might be an issue with the added height of the platform. Also, this platform when completed will weigh over 500 lbs. Don't plan on moving it... ever.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Zac;
Forget it. One neighbor in a bad mood when you're having a PR day will make your Oly workouts TOAST. Have you been to a Oly workout and hear the sounds and vibrations. If the gym is big and the platforms are over concrete, maybe the sounds/vibs are muted, but trust me. I train on great platforms in a dedicated building, not much bigger then two garage, and when the big dogs are working in the 90KG range and up, it's loud, thumping sh-t going on, which I do love. Nothing beats the sound, flying chalk, dust and the look as the lifts go up, then go down.
Sorry, got a little teary eyed here!!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #6
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Zac,
Jay is spot on.

Apartment+Oly Lifting=Eviction
Old 09-23-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
Zac Stutts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Azaren View Post
whats up HitItHard?

no answers at BB?

figured id go straight to the source since alot here use the bumpers id be buying
Old 09-23-2007, 11:02 AM   #8
Zac Stutts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C Ollis View Post
Zac,
Jay is spot on.

Apartment+Oly Lifting=Eviction
thanks for the help guys, i guess i can save a bunch of money then. maybe ill buy some more lifting literature (starting strength vol 2) and just keep doin what ive been doin
Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 AM   #9
Frank C Ollis

Profile:

Zac,
Does you apartment have a yard, or a common yard?

I lift in the dirt, and had a buddy in San Diego who had all his weight stuff on a cart. He used to roll it outside, work out, roll it back inside.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
Zac Stutts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C Ollis View Post
Zac,
Does you apartment have a yard, or a common yard?

I lift in the dirt, and had a buddy in San Diego who had all his weight stuff on a cart. He used to roll it outside, work out, roll it back inside.
its a complex full of students id feel really awkward doing that unless i was an absolute beast.. i am still in the learning stages.