CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 PM   #1
Juan E Enjamio

Profile:  
Would anyone like to share their prefered methods for improving flexibility (and any recommended books or tapes)? Should I try the programs described by Thomas Kurz or Pavel Tsaouline which seem to be targeted for martial artists, or some more generic new approaches such as active isolated stretching, or just stick to the more old-fashioned advice as found in Bob Anderson's book?

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

(FYI. I have been following the CFIT program for about six weeks now with very little additional stretching, and plan to resume karate training in the next few weeks. The CFIT program by itself seems to be helpful in making me more flexible. I just have a long way to go to be where I think I should be flexibility-wise.)
Old 01-20-2003, 12:22 PM   #2
sean hernandez mccumiskey

Profile:

hey Juan,
i am also just begining crossfit and have gained some flexibility from doing the wod's. i also have the same question, but i know coach recomend the methods of bob anderson. he mentioned it in the october issue of the cfj titled "fitness". if you havent got it yet it is posted on tylers web page as a free download along with a good interview with coach. http://www.girevikmagazine.com/Girev...ewglassman.htm her is the link. happy reading. it good ive read it four times.
sean
Old 01-20-2003, 01:18 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I really like kurtz's book. pavels stuff is very similar. Really training the O-lifts (O-head squats in particular) have greatly increased my flexability. In capoeira we need not only kicking flexability but the ability to go over into back bends and walk overs. The o-lifts have really helped.
Robb
Old 01-20-2003, 02:51 PM   #4
Tyler Hass

Profile:
I definitely second Robb's recommendation of Overhead Squats.
I would also highly recommend Pavel's Relax Into Stretch book for passive flexibility and either his Super Joints book or Scott Sonnon's Warrior Wellness program (www.rmax.tv), for joint mobility and ROM work.
I have also benefitted a lot from the Jump Stretch program (www.jumpstretch.com). You can pretty much just start with a single light band if all you want to do is stretch. This program fixed up a pulled hamstring unbelievably fast. After a month with no results, I tried the JS program and was up and running again 3 days later.
Lastly, varied training, such as in the CF program, will do wonders for your flexibility and mobility.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:05 PM   #5
Juan E Enjamio

Profile:  
Thanks to all for the advice. Your recommendation on doing the overhead squat to improve flexibility was new to me, but a quick search on the net really convinced me so I will start working on it. (I had not focused on the facts that you have to strong to be flexible and that the right type of weightlifting helps flexibility).

I am also considering the Jumpstrecth band routine. Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:44 AM   #6
Coach

Profile:

Great thread guys!

In a simiar vein: when one awakens, stands and puts their arms out to the side, yawns and "stretches" What is the nature of that "stretch"?

My observations: it has dozens of variants (the yawn is but one common one) , it can be induced and trained for, works best if you do it from the floor (suppine or prone), I do it, you do it, my dog, cat and son's rat do it, it is a wave of antagonistic contractions that often, interestingly, moves from extremity to core!!

My suspicions: it's critical to neurological and hence mechanical function and is responsible for some of what traditional ROM stretching is credited, we come with some kind of pre programmed "sub routine" for it and it is a neuromusclar reset or housecleaning.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I had never really thought of this as a re-set...this may be a reach but in Diabetic Neuropathy one experiences pain not because of damage to the nerves which cary pain messages but because the nerves governing propreoception have died and the CNS is trying to establish a refrence point. I am also reminded of Art Devany's description of our bodies (and any living dynamic system) as having decentralized intelegence...Who knew that a yawn and a stretch meant so much!
Robb
Old 01-22-2003, 12:39 PM   #8

Profile:

Can anyone let me know where i can find some good reading on this subject.(ie. on the internet) or maybee just give me some streching pointers. i would love to buy all the books suggested, but i just cant afford it. i am married to a wonderful woman and have two two awsome boys i am trying to get into german college: money is tight. enough said.

i heard some people say that there is nothing to streching, that the key is to just do it. but i got thinking if this is the case then why do you guys suggest these books. any comments?

mahalo and aloha
sean
Old 01-22-2003, 01:05 PM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sean- You can get any/all of these books from your public library...FREE! Any one of the books is more than sufficient however.
Robb
Old 01-23-2003, 01:35 AM   #10

Profile:

my problem is that i live Germany and my public library is a German public library.

sean