CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
I'm relatively new to CrossFit (7 weeks), and my husband just can't seem to understand how I could be hooked on this kind of training. He's tried a couple of workouts, but figured they're not for him (he's a hard-gainer, and worried about losing the mass he has struggled to obtain). He thinks it's unreasonable and unsafe for people to train so intensely that they are on the brink of becoming friends with Pukie. I've offered him literature from the website, but he still isn't convinced that my involvement with CrossFit is a good idea for the long-term. Anybody else have to convince their spouse/partner/family that they're not absolutely crazy for wanting to work this hard, and actually enjoy doing so? What did you do/say to ease their minds? I know how great CrossFit makes me feel, but how can I get him to understand that?

By the way.......my husband is the most caring man in the world, and he just wants to make sure that what I am doing is in the best interest of my long term health. :-)
Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
James R. Climer

Profile:
I'd say let the results speak for themselves,
but that won't give any immediate satisfaction.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Barry Cooper

Profile:
If he's trying to bulk up, then I think if mixes the WOD with lots of heavy lifting, he'll do fine. There are bunches of logs on this board, and a lot of folks do their own thing, based around the WOD.

The whole point is the maintenance of lean body mass. That's the advantage of this versus daily long runs, which are catabolic.

I have wondered, too, what the effect of adding 5 or so Zone blocks over what you need, but using Zone ratios, might be on long term lean body mass gain. I think that, with WOD's and lot of 5x5's would be my approach.

As far as the puking, I think training at that edge and flirting with it regularly hardens your system, increases your pain and fear tolerance, and has zero ill effects I can notice. It actually makes me calmer and mentally tougher in my normal life. If you get used to this, bodybuilding--even serious bodybuilding--is an order of magnitude easier, so at a minimum he could amp his pain tolerance up and go back to doing what he did.

My two cents.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:22 PM   #4
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
Christine my husband and family all think I am nuts. Perhaps we should include a lot of my friends too! Is that gonna stop me any time soon--espec when I went from a clothing size 12/14 to a 4/6 in one full year and feel better, and have way more energy than ever before in my 45yrs? Hardly likely!

Oh Ive been told I am OCD too. But then again how many of us CFers arent?

Food for thought...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
John Nolan

Profile:
Christine,
you can let him know that CrossFit with proper diet (Zone based) will decrease your chances of diabetes, lower cholesterol, lower blood pressure, increase your stamina, strength and muscular endurance. there are dangers, but they are pretty much the same dangers that any exercise regimen faces (bad form, overtraining, more weight than able..etc).
As for his believing, he will not be able argue with the results that he will see.
good luck
Old 07-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
Justin Algera

Profile:
I don't know... Im lucky as my wife is crossfitter as well. I was surprised really when she started working with me and stuck with me, but I guess I just lucked out.
Old 07-23-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
Thanks so much to all of you that have replied! Such a supportive community of people that have made a commitment to better health and fitness make CrossFit training that much more appealing (and addictive!). It's nice to know that there are others out there who are dealing with the same issue. I agree with what many of you have suggested, in terms of letting the results speak for themselves. I feel better than I ever, and there's no way my husband can complain about that!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:25 PM   #8
Eric Lester

Profile:
I wonder what it says about me (or men and women!) that I assumed this post would be a husband talking about his wife. Hehehe.

One of the Crossfit Journals had an article about an elderly woman starting Crossfit because she wasn't strong enough to pickup her grandchild. After three years of a growing kid and three years of Crossfit she could still pick him/her up.

I may have muddled the details but if anyone remembers what issue that was I think the story shows pretty well that Crossfit is not dangerous if done correctly.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Really, if the site, and other references won't convince him, just keep at it for a while. When you guys go out to do something physical and you smoke him that may do it :-)
Old 07-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #10
Laura Rucker

Profile:
My husband doesn't get it, has tried numerous time to tell me this program "isn't right" for me and hates the fact that I get my hands torn up periodically.

Part of it is my fault because while getting fitter I did not get my diet in check so he didn't see me getting the fat loss he sees as my primary goal (which it was at first, but now I know that fitness is first, and diet will take care of the extra fat I am still carrying.)

He has back off of saying anything negative about it "not working for me" (which as anyone at brand x can tell it it hella working) but I don't see him ever doing CrossFit.

I'm ok with that as long as he keeps fullfilling my odd requests for sand filled basketball, box jump boxes and pull up equipment... ;) And stays out of the way when I'm working "for time".