CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Okay, I'm so NOT good at this type of stuff, but am just trying to do it in a way that won't make me sick and I bet a lot of you are d.i.y. homeowners/renovaters/etc. SO! I was wondering what the least toxic paint removal substance is.

I'm trying to get rid of the badly scraped paint on my concrete floor (the gal who painted it *claims* she did use a finish) and I thought the best bet would be to just scrape the paint, leave it the original color it was since I don't have a lot of time and money to keep redoing it (and I rent--and no my landlady will not fix anything or pay for anything, except for $25 towards paint, which I had to talk her into) and that way I will not have to worry about scrapes all the time and or having to repaint every few months and never wear heels in the house and never move any chairs.

Anyways, my question is, what is more toxic?

a) sanding the paint down (renting a sander from Home Depot) and having tons of paint dust in the air forever--and I'm not sure this would even remove all of the paint

b) getting some kind of chemical paint remover, which I hear is really toxic, but I figured someone might know the lest toxic kind

c) scraping as much as I can, so I'll have to use less toxic chemical paint remover

If all these options suck, maybe I will just buy rugs or ceramic tile...

Also does anybody know how long the paint dust or nasty chemical fumes would stick around for, assuming I open all my doors and camp in my backyward for a while?

My magic cottage is on the very tiny side so I'm hoping it will only take a few days to do all this...and the paint is kinda peeling off on its own already...

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
Rental? Get a cheap carpet remnant. If I owned it, ceramic tile.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:38 PM   #3
Lara Lewis

Profile:
Just did a couple of quick searches for you and came up with these links, both of which are family and work safe. The first is a "how to" and the second one was a link to a company that sells non-toxic "green" products and was just one of many that came up when I googled "paint removal non toxic".

http://www.ehow.com/how_172571_remov...-concrete.html

and

http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Paint-Stripper-s/6.htm?gclid=CNGuwZzxzogCFQkgUA odODEWAQ

You might want to check with the people at the local Home Depot or other hardware/paint store and see what they reccommend doing as well.

:080402gudl_prv:
Old 11-17-2006, 01:06 PM   #4
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Thanks! I just don't want to buy something non-toxic and have it not work, so if anyone has experience with any of these let me know!!

And yeah, I could check at Home Depot, but they always try to rent/sell me the most expensive things. I must have "sucker" written on my face. :-)

Thanks for the how-to guide, too!