CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-29-2007, 07:13 AM   #1
Debra Pansier

Profile:
I'm a 45 year old female with 30 years of heavy lifting has left my body battered,injury prone and tight. I never did a balnce workout program and it had caught up with me. (range of motion impaired...haha)

Last year I switched from the daily heavy lifting to a circuit program 3x a week and started doing either Yoga or a Stretching workout 6x per week for 1.5 hours a day. I was able to touch my toes for the first time in years! I don't think I want to quit stretching, especially at my age. I also hike or bike 6x per week.

So I'm thinking of dropping the circuit weight training and starting the Cross Fit program as I see it as very balanced and challenging.

Here's my question:

Can I keep doing my Yoga/Stretching workout as well as my daily walk or bike since I will be cutting out all weight training?

:-)
Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Jon Gilson

Profile:
Hi Debra!

Welcome to Crossfit. I'm sure you'll like it here.

You can certainly keep other activities and take up Crossfit. This program doesn't preclude other athletic pursuits, especially those designed to remedy flaws in your biomechanics, such as stretching.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that you won't be doing any weight training in Crossfit. We regularly do weight training, including maximum efforts, 5x5s, and Olympic weightlifting movements. You'll see many examples of this on the main page.

I would encourage you to view lifting with some optimism, even though it's left you in rough shape in the past. When incorporated into a properly configured program (which I can assure you, exists here in the form of the WOD), lifting will add to your overall strength, athletic ability, and metabolic capacity.

Take some time to look through this Topic ("Starting"), and read the FAQ. It will answer many of your questions. If you need help after reading through this, everyone here is more than happy to help.

Good luck!

Best,

Jon
Old 03-30-2007, 05:24 AM   #3
Debra Pansier

Profile:
Jon,

Thanks for the advise, I was going to drop the circuit weight training because I saw there is a fair amount of lifting within the CF program!

Does anybody here do a full powerlifting/olympic lifting type of regime on top of Cross Fit?

thanks Deb
Old 03-30-2007, 05:55 AM   #4
Tim Dewey

Profile:
Deb, I think many people combine OL/PL with crossfit. Do a Search on ME blackbox. A lot of the strength oriented types do something like this. ME (or max effort), xfit metcon, ME, rest day, Metcon, ME, Metcon, rest or just Metcon, ME, Metcon, rest, repeat. Lots of ways you could incorporate OL/PL.
Old 03-30-2007, 10:24 AM   #5
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Check out "Mike's Gym," Debra -- Mike Burgener coaches O-lifting athletes and also has them doing CrossFit -- if you look on his site he posts a WOD for O-lifting, but then also has a CF section with workouts listed.

(work/family safe)
http://mikesgym.org/index.php

Old 03-30-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
Debra Pansier

Profile:
thanks for the help & that great link!
Old 03-31-2007, 05:27 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Debra, cut the older crap...45, your just getting started (I'm 44). A survey of the board about a year ago put the average age in the mid to upper 30s. I think it's kind of a "I've done: powerlifting, bodybuilding, Kettlebells, etc. what's the most bang for my buck" thing. CF is a GPP program and there is an expectation you are doing sport training or preparing for battle, of some kind. Once you get rocking, average workout time is 15-20 minutes...with some workouts lasting 5-10 minutes! This allows plenty of time for sport specific training. By the way, strength athletes tend to have an easier time adapting to CF then cardio type athletes. It's easier to develop metabolic conditioning then it is to develop strength. Additionally, your neural programming will make you much more efficient in the metcon weight lifting workouts. Welcome and enjoy.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #8
Debra Pansier

Profile:
Larry, I'm not sure how to respond to your abrupt first sentence.

Actually..........I'm not just getting started. I have been lifting weights for 30 years & most of it was not done intellegently and I injuried myself needlessly by thinking my body was invincable. I am plagued with overuse injuries and a very unbalanced body from not doing a well rounded program.

I am hoping CrossFit will bring me back to balance, but my concern in overtraining.

Denying the longer recovery times of an older athlete will just lead me down the path that I have already been following and deminished returns.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
Laura Rucker

Profile:
heh. Debra...I think Larry is just saying that at 45, you will find you are in the majority here on the boards as to age - and this is not the downward slide side of aging, now that you have found CrossFit. ;)

I'm 41 and I have never lifted weights before I came here. Injury recovery is definitely affected as we age but you'll find by following the program, your performance and normal recovery times will improve almost magically!

I think Larry wasn't trying to be abrubt but adamant that age is not an excuse (not that you were using one) in the CrossFit box, just a different starting point.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Debra Pansier

Profile:
I guess I don't need someone ragging my rear when I am out pushing myself to new levels in all aspects of my life (6 months ago I beat out my PR bench from when I was in my 20's and now I'm going back to college to earn a degree in Accounting after owning my own business for the last 17 years) So I don't need someone who doesn't know me to tell me to "cut the crap" as he so eliquently put it. Anyone who thinks that recovery times don't change and don't want to admit it is foolish. We are different athletes at this age.

The reason I started looking for a new and more balanced program is because I have been training in MMA and would like to get at least on fight in, now that women's MMA is getting some regular fights scheduled. I was pulling muscles everytime I grappled and realized that something was wrong, so I am going back to the beginning and re-training myself & my body.

Do I really seem like someone who is afraid of the clock?
No, I'm just hyper-aware that tomorrow isn't going to last forever and there is no time to waste.

:-)