CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Zach - I am working on that donation idea right now. I have started a plan to do a week of classes that clients can bring two items of food to donate to the local food bank instead of paying for that week. It will occur the week before thanksgiving. One of my clients is a copywriter and is putting together a press release for me. I will let you all know if it works!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #12
Michael Pearce

Profile:
Jason thanks I will look into them.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:11 PM   #13
David Wood

Profile:

Two "items" of food for a week of classes? You're selling yourself too cheaply, Beth. I would go for two *bags* of food.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:20 PM   #14
Beth Moscov

Profile:
David - two items of food per workout all week. I only have four classes available right now. And I don't mind donating that weeks money. I mostly want folks up here to know Crossfit Boulder Creek exists. I really don't want to market in such a way that everyone comes, signs up, and disappears. I am interested in that small but serious crossfit group who tend to come and stay. I have the advantage of being close to HQ so many folks know about crossfit already. They just don't there is an option up here in the mountains too.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 PM   #15
Skip Chase

Profile:
Tony
A new answer to an old question.

After 7 weeks 44 paying clients and growing. We are beginning to look at options for a larger facility.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:14 AM   #16
Troy Dodson

Profile:
Skip,
That is quite impressive that after only 7 weeks you have 44 paying clients. Congratulations on your success!!

Can you tell me about any of your experiences with getting your facility and client base setup, particularly how you built your client base, and/or promoted your facility? I’m guessing word of mouth, but I’d rather hear you tell your story……
Old 11-27-2005, 03:14 PM   #17
Tony Young

Profile:
Skip,
Amazing. I'm with Troy - details, man.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:33 PM   #18
Skip Chase

Profile:
Troy and Tony:
Sorry for the delay. This is my first opportunity to spend time on the message board.

First and foremost we thank God for blessing us with our new business and new clients and friends.

I must say, part of our recent success is a result of our 'mind-set'. It is my belief that the majority of our society wants to become fit and healthy. They want to improve their quality of life. However, they don't know how. They buy into every gimmick, fad diet and marketing ploy only to fail and continue the psychologically conditioned pattern of failure. I believe the average person has the words 'HELP ME' on their farhead and they want the truth.

I also believe CrossFit is the answer for everyone.

Within only a few days after finding the CF web site, I knew I wanted to gain a certification and become an affiliate. I registered for the Sept. certification and we began buying equipment.
I also began training a hand full of clients using CF protocol.(I am a fulltime trainer) I also offered to train a couple of friends, for free, to get their input.

I went to the cert and upon return, Rhonda and I 'zoned-in' on the nutrition. We both had fast results. We also began looking for a location. We considered having our own facility or attempting to team-up with a local MMA or gymnastics facility.
After several weeks of negotiating, we decided on the gymnastics facility. They had more equipment for us to utilize to include a full size gymnastics 'spring' exercise floor.

Next, we looked at the group exercise schedules at the local health clubs. We have 6 clubs within a 20 mile radius,(does not include the 4 Curves locations). Rhonda is a group ex instructor at 4 of the clubs. We looked at the club schedule to see which time slots were the busiest. We scheduled classes at the same time as their busiest classes.(5:30,6:30,9am. 12,4,5,6,7pm) We established 4-5pm as the hour for the 'serious high school athlete'.

We printed a schedule, created a Q&A to attach to the schedule. I purchased signage to be placed on the back and side windows of our van. ($129.00)

Our local newspaper has a 'Recreation' feature every Thursday, and the entries are free. I placed one announcement for 'fitness training for everyone', one for 'elite fitness training for the serious high school athlete', and one for 'elite training for military, law enforcement and first responders'. The ads are in the paper every Thursday.

We began training Oct 1st. I began training my existing clients at the new facility. We offer 1st week free. After that the client must commit to training 2x, 3x or unlimited training for a month, with a discount for paying 3 months in advance.

We went from 13 to 38 during October. All were generated 'word of mouth'. Rhonda's body changed quickly, and people she knows noticed and asked her what she was doing. The same thing happened with our other friends and clients. They changed, and they either talked about it or people noticed.

During October, we purchased poster board and created a 'benchmark' goals listing for all the clients. We list down the left column everyones name, with a listing for 1 pushup, 5 pushups, 10 pushups, 20 pushups, 50 pushups. 1 pullup, 5 pullups and so on. We listed pushups, pullups, dips, rope climb (10', 15' 20', legs, no legs) ring pushups, ring pullups, muscleups, l-sits, and so on.
We noticed the first day we placed them on the wall, everyone had interest. Everyone wants success...achieve a new benchmark. We have them listed as 'The CrossFit Boys' and 'The CrossFit Gals'.

When someone new comes in we show them the benchmarks. Usually the new client will say, "Oh, I could never do a pull-up! Not ME!!" I confidently tell them they are not genetically impaired and they can and will gain benchmarks, and as they can see by the board, everyone does.

We are now approaching 60 clients. We have 2 CF'ers who will be coming to the cert in Feb.

Coach said it, I believe it...if you build it they will come.

I must say, I am spending long hours training, but I am experiencing great rewards. I get to see the smiles. I hear them tell their stories of success. I enjoy seeing them bring their friends.

Well, we have not spent any money, per se, on advertising other than flyers. We distribute them constantly, wherever we can.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #19
Troy Dodson

Profile:
Awesome!
Old 12-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #20
John Velandra

Profile:
Skip - Congratulations on a phenominal plan. I'm entering into the planning phase to change my company over to CrossFit - or at least integrate it into all our training that the training is a modified CrossFit protocol. [If you're a bodybuilder, guess what, tabata squats make great cardio when you throw them in between groupings... oh yeah, so do burpees (LOL).]

As I flesh out my stuff, I'd love to throw some ideas your way. I've also got some questions, but will save them for another day.