CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM   #1
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I know the ideal situation for doing any sort of CF training (that you're getting paid for) is to have a CF Certification of at least level 1, and for your facility to become an affiliate.

But (yeah, I know, never say the word "but")... Right now, groceries for the kids kinda tops the list of things to pay for, if you know what I mean. I know I have the business skills to develop a good CF affiliate and grow it into a several hundred member facility, and while I've participated in sports all my life, I've only been working with crossfit for about five months now.

As you can see by my post count, I don't exactly miss much happening here on the board, and try to get involved and learn as much as I can about CF and its principles. I've read tons of the back issues, most of the single articles that are available, etc...

I'm just not quite sure where to go from here. Ideally I'd start with a few friends and neighbors, most likely on a trial basis (I'm lucky, I've got two good neighbors, actually three if you count the guy across the street), and work up from there, but really, my main goal is to get some dough to help out with the bills, and get paid to do my workout.

Oh, I presume insurance too? I've heard $1M is about right for insurance, and it costs like $200-$300/month?

(Message edited by Matt_DeMinico on August 01, 2007)
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Nick Cruz

Profile:
Matt,

I just received an EXCELLENT newsletter from Jonathon Gilson at Again Faster. It details the scenario that you are asking about exactly. I can forward you the newsletter if you like, or you can email Jon directly to get set up on his newsletter.

My email is nixicanSPLATgmailDOTcom
Again Faster is jonSPLATagainfasterDOTcom
Old 08-01-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
Skip Chase

Profile:
Matt,
When you say you've read 'tons' of the back issues of the CF journal, I must ask, how many? I suggest , as money will allow, you purchase and read all of them, one issue at a time. The proper education earns the privilege of charging a fair wage for our services.

There are many threads on here regarding this topic.

Good luck.

www.mtbakercrossfit.com
www.mtbakercrossfitkids.blogspot.com
www.mtbakercommandokravmaga.com
Old 08-01-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I've read about half of the articles that are available for free (didn't know they were there before), have purchased Volume 1 and am still in process of reading through it, and have read the basics like "what is crossfit", etc.

And, I've read through a couple months of archives in this portion of the forum.

Obviously not comprehensive, but if I were to read it all word for word and not filter some of the stuff I've got available to me, I wouldn't have time to hold down a job or a family :-)
Old 08-01-2007, 03:16 PM   #5
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Out of curiosity, would you have to have be certified by someone to get personal training insurance (or whatever is the right word)?

howard
Old 08-01-2007, 06:11 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
It seems to me that if you're using the CrossFit name/logo/etc to market yourself that you really ought to be certified.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
One thing you might consider is training a few folks for free. That might take care of the need for insurance. It's just friends get together to workout, right? That way you get some experience training people Crossfit-style as well. You can ask for modest contributions to help buy equipment. Then after you've developed a following and learned more about Crossfit, you can expand into a more formal setting.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:13 PM   #8
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
I wouldn't (couldn't) use the Crossfit name/logo/etc, but obviously would use crossfit style workouts. I dunno, it seems like the best option is to train a few friends together. Matter of fact, I sorta did a similar thing with a guy I work with before he was deployed, all for free.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #9
Adam Noble

Profile:
Yeah, I am pretty much in the scenario Lincoln is describing. I started working out in my garage, and now there are 6-8 people showing up as well. All free. I don't think I can legally run a business out of the house I rent, which is preventing me from trying to affiliate right now (and I am pretty sure you have to be insured to affiliate). So for the moment it is more of a large group of training partners, funded by me entirely, because I enjoy it.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Adam: I'd be willing to bet there's zero legal ground for the city to come after you for running a business out of your home. Millions of people do it every day.

You are just the same as an accountant who uses his home for his office, and sets up appointments there. Or to get physical, you're just the same as a massage therapist who occasionally has appointments at their home.