CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
I am new to Crossfit. I just bought a standard 300# $170.00 steel weight set. I want to add the beginner workout.. D/L, SQT and Press. If I add just two 45# bumper plates, can I drop it if it becomes neccessary? That is, is the diameter larger than the steel so it hits first and would it be strong enough to stand this when it's the only thing to hit the ground. Any help will be appreciated. THANKS
Old 02-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
Dennis,

I think the bumpers are the same size as your 45's you have now, about 17 3/4 inches. So, if you have both the bumpers and the 45 steel plates on at the same time and dump it, the rubber would compress and the steel would bear the brunt. The rest of the plates are smaller diameter and won't hit the floor first. Now, I don't know what damage might be caused to the bar but at least the bumpers will protect the floor (when using the smaller plates) and allow you to feel safer to dump when necessary.
I think ultimately, a full set of bumpers is the best way to go, providing expenses allow for it. Just starting out, get used to the movements with lighter weights so dumping is less likely to occur. This allows for a comfort level with the movements first and will prevent you from overdoing the first few months of workouts. David
Old 02-11-2007, 06:54 PM   #3
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
David, Thanks for your response.I have been keeping the weight light as you suggested. Even at this stage though, my main concern is in the squat. The whole concept of going "deep" like ya'll do is new. I work out at home by myself. When I start to get tired, the question becomes, Can I come up out of a couple more these or stop early. The possibility of having to bail out came to mind. Ideally I will get a full set of bumpers, but I was hoping the 45's would give me a safety net and the confidence to push a little harder. Thanks again, Dennis
Old 02-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #4
Chris Lampe

Profile:
Dennis,

Depending on finances, you might consider IronMind's "Pillars of Power" spotter racks. If you are handy you can even build your own "pillars of poverty". Ironmind's racks aren't cheap but I have bumpers and after stumbling forward during a heavy squat I decided the spotter racks were suddenly worth the money. Now I wouldn't squat without them.

(Message edited by corwin1968 on February 11, 2007)
Old 02-11-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
Travis Loest

Profile:
All the things I've heard about combining weight is not to have more "iron" weight on then the "bumper" weight. It's ok to have 45# bumpers on and a set of 25# iron plates, or even 35# iron plates. But don't let the Bumper have to support more than its own weight. Like a 45# bumper and a 55+ #'s of iron. Having 45# bumpers and 45# iron plates isnt an issue other than there's not alot that the bumpers are doing for you other than adding weight. Another issue is that I have an el cheapo set of 300# iron from the local sports store. I have some bumpers that wont fit onto the cheap bar. Thankfully I've got the CrossFit bar from Glenn Pendlay and that's what I use for the more dynamic moves that I may drop the weight on. Sorry about the ramble. If I'm not clear on something let me know and I will try to clarify it.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:02 PM   #6
David Cynamon

Profile:
you could use saw horses to spot your squats.
I got the idea from Dan John's From the Ground Up
Old 02-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #7
Dennis Barrett

Profile:
I've built a squat rack using two 10' 4x4's going from floor to ceiling about three feet out from the wall. I bolted a 5' 4x4 to the face of each of these and cut a 45 dg. notch in the tops of these to hold the bar. It looks like two stout saw horses is my next project. Thanks to All
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 AM   #8
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I would second the notion of getting (or building squat racks). An injury can cost a lot in terms of pain, missed days at work, etc. Bailing on a front squat shouldn't be too hard, but on a back squat, you probably will have the bar travelling right down your spine.

In my limited beginner experience (but that's probably the most relevant), it's really hard to know when you're going to fail on a squat because as you get deep, it becomes harder and harder to get out. Not like a bench press where you have a pretty good idea of when you're weakening (although there I always use the racks). The Ironmind racks can be used for anything: squats, bench, a base for trap pulls, etc.