CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #21
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Travis,

The straps on the power max rings are about 9.5 feet long. You only need around 6-8 inches at either end to go through the buckles, so you could get them all the way to the floor with the straps.
Old 01-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #22
Travis Loest

Profile:
I got my rings from ringtraining and they were the metal ones, but I can move the buckles anywhere I want. Maybe I got a new set of straps instead of the old ones? I had to put some griptape on them though, once your hands get sweaty it's a little scary on them.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:45 PM   #23
Skip Chase

Profile:
I received my Gill/Powermax rings this week. I like the wide straps, adjustable buckles (the ringtaining rings I have do not adjust) and textured ring surface.

A big thumbs up!!

www.mtbakercrossfit.blogspot.com
Old 01-20-2007, 03:18 PM   #24
Michael Leach

Profile:
Hey Travis, the 'original' ringtraining 'power rings' had a strap that was sewed around the rings which left the buckle to smack into your forearms. The new 'elite rings' allowed you to move the buckle. well, between the back-ordering problems with the new elite rings (out of Tyler's control) along with the high demand for the new rings, Tyler had some more of the 'old style' rings made up but sold them with the newer style straps.

:-)
Old 01-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Travis Loest

Profile:
Ah, that would explain my confusion. Everyone was always complaining about the buckles on the ring training metal ring straps and I never had the problem. I thought I might've been doing something odd. thanks.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:43 PM   #26
Michael Leach

Profile:
i found a picture of my old power rings.
http://halfawake.com/w00t/051017/CIMG4018.JPG

and here's a picture of my elite rings
http://halfawake.com/newrings.jpg

links are work/kids safe
Old 01-21-2007, 12:55 AM   #27
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
Based on the info I'm going to go with the powermax ones. The grippage+durability looks like what I want. A little extra time to set them up doesn't sound that bad.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #28
Bill Russell

Profile:
I own a set of Tyler's Elite Rings and they are fantastic. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either set, or heck,make your own for less than $20 from HD.

Personally, I'd rather give my money to a smaller business like Tyler's. Also, he is a great contributor to the CF community. I'm sure Gill is great too. However, I've never had direct commnication with Mr. Gill, but I have with Tyler.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 AM   #29
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/35768.jpg

I modified my Power Rings by cutting off the red straps and attaching some nylon runners to the rings on one end adding a small metal ring on the other. That took the buckle away from my shoulder and allowed for the quick adjustment of height using quick draws or pre-cut lengths of plastic coated wire with loops on each end. You can get the quick draws from a climbing store and the big caribiners (that will fit over pullup bars to attach bands or rings) are at Home Depot in the tools section for 2 or 3 bucks. Buy your own swaging tool for $25 and get a bunch of plastic coated wire, the little loops and the squeezie things and you can make all the wire lengths you want. (Great for tire drag, sled attachments, rings, swinging pullup bars, hanging your cargo net...very useful). I attach the cut off red straps to the modified ring straps and loops to attach the rings to my tall ceiling. The Elite Rings are a great improvement over the originals if for no other reason because they don't knock you stupid if you walk into them and they are not a pendulum hazard when someone falls/jumps off in a hurry. Being able to rotate the buckles away is very nice and I like the strap stopper slots. They appear to be situated so they don't take any load so their fragile look is not likely to be an issue. I really like how the rings themselves look and they have a very nice feel. No wraps are needed. Oh, they don't get cold like the metal ones do...though that is not a problem if you wrap them. The bottom set is the Gill product and as you can tell from all the previous posts this is very much a Coke/Pepsi or Less Filling/Tastes Great debate.

The Gills take longer to adjust...but once adjusted they are much neater because the strap system keeps things tucked away better avoiding that long red tail that haunts Tyler's rings (though that can be handled with double sided Velcro). Overall the Gills present a much neater, cleaner look and more closely resemble "real" gymnastic rings setups I've seen. The wider straps are easier on your shoulders if you happen to run yourself into them during pushups, dips or muscle ups and I really like the big mounting ring on the top. That ring snaps in and out of caribiners very easily. There is a lightly gritty texture on the rings themselves that provides a very nice grip and as with the Elite's no wrapping is needed.

Were I to buy another set of rings I would probably get the Gill rings...but that might be because I already have 4 sets of Tyler's rings and have the long trip to the ceiling handled. That might not be completely fair though because since the Gill rings have that ring on top I could easily attach a rope or nylon loop whatever distince I needed. CokePepsiCokePepsi. I don't know about the rest of you but I never look forward to passing the red strap through the buckle. You'd think I was beating myself with a hammer with all the cursing I do. I'd rather fuss with the Gill buckles any day.

I'd get the Gills.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:22 AM   #30
Robert Payter

Profile:
I have got 2 pairs of the older powerrings.What I have done with one pair is to use a pair of Daisy chains and carabiners.It has made it possible to have 1 pair of rings that are trully portable,none of that feeding the strap hassle.Just attach the Daisy chains to anything sturdy and you are ready to workout.