CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 10-01-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Ran the bootcamp challenge this morning with a couple of my buddies at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego (one a competitive triathlete and the other just a fit YMCA instructor).

www.bootcampchallenge.com

We placed THIRD in our age division and FOURTH overall out of 135 competitors. We might have even won if we didnt have to wait in line for the less-fit people to finish some of the obstacles. Our time was 26:57 for the 3 mile obstacle course. The best part is that i didnt even train for this event. Chalk another one up for Crossfit=)

Cheers to Crossfit.

Old 10-02-2005, 11:26 AM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Wow! Nice job, Charlie!

I wanted to do the challenge this year but this weeekend was a wind-down weekend after a LOONG September.

:-)

Old 10-02-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I did this race also, unfortunately I was sick all last week, still wasn't full recovered yesterday either. I ended up getting 28:45 13th of 52 in age group, 161 of 925 overall. I was actually fairly happy with how I did considering how I felt. I was really disapointed to be sick for this though, I was looking forward to going for a somewhat competative time. I think healthy I could have done pretty well. I really love these races. I love running and then throwing in little extras like obstacles makes it great. Next year.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Yea next year we should get a crossfit team together and smoke 'em. Next time i'll be sure to start in front so i don't have to hop over grandmas and army grunts;)
Old 10-03-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Laura Rucker

Profile:
We have to organize early...I'm in if we can get it together.
:-)
Old 10-04-2005, 05:35 PM   #6
Charlie Reid

Profile:
Agreed, earlier the better. If we have enough people, we can even divide it into two teams. IronCore La Jolla (the Kettlebell Gym here in san diego) organized a team of girls, i think we can do it too=)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Brand X had I think 9 or 10 entrants last year, one 5 person team and a few individuals. Several with standout finishes.

I think it just snuck up on us this year what with all the events at BX.

Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 PM   #8
Andrew Gray

Profile:
I am in for next year. I think it will be tough to keep away from the slowdowns at obstacles though because of the staggered starts. We will need to practice jumping over people.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
Charlie Reid

Profile:
yea the problem with the event was they put the women first. No offense to the women, but we caught up to them REAL quick and that posed a problem. Next year i hope they remedy this and i will also make sure to be in front. It'll be fun, i look forward to it. Andrew, we should get together on saturdays as well for WODs and whatever else. Maybe Grady McDonald and Eddie Lugo can meet on saturdays as well.
Old 10-05-2005, 10:51 PM   #10
Andrew Gray

Profile:
The problem with the staggered start is that only one group can start first and everyone else will run into the slow pokes from the group in front of them (and every group has slowpokes). I don't think they can get rid of the stager either though, it would cause a huge pile-up in the middle of the pack. Kind of a lose-lose situation. I think the best course of action is to just try and get an early lead, and if you see a slow-up coming pick up your pace so you can use the slow time to rest (that and know how many pushups you are supposed to do, I did over 30 at the first station because I didn't know when I could stop).

Charlie, I also just sent you an e-mail about getting started on some Saturday workouts.