CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-10-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Jeff Bearden

Profile:
I've been reading alot on these forums about IF. I've always been fascinated with the concept but seem to be confused with all the info that's out there. I'm wondering if anybody else sees it as simple as it seems to me. My feet hit the floor about 4:00am every morning and I'm off to work around 4:45am. Get to work, do Physical Training, head home, grab a shower and back to work. I'm usually in too much of a hurry to prepare breakfast. I might grab a handful of nuts or something later on. Sometimes I get a lunchbreak and sometimes I get too busy. When I get home at the end of the day, I'm home for good. So, if I'm skipping breakfast and sometimes lunch, munching on nuts and/or fruit during the day, eating sensibly when I get home, is that IF? Is it that simple? Seems that way to me. Comments welcome.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Jeff Dale

Profile:
In a nutshell, IF is consolidating all meals for the day in a smaller time frame. ex: Eat 2pm-7pm and don't eat again until 2pm the next day.

You still get the same amount of calories, you just eat them in a smaller window of time. I think the fasting period should be ~14-16 hrs

No snacking during the fasting period. Water,tea,coffee is fine as long as you dont add a bunch of cream/sugar etc.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Jeff hit the nail on the head just a little bit to add.

Variation 1:
You can do it the 15+ hour fast I typically eat from 9:30am until 6:30 pm and in that time frame I cram 2500-3000 calories in.

Variation 2:
1 day on, 1 day off...etc I haven't tried this method but you are supposed to cram the calories you missed into the "on" day.

Variations...X:
Cant remember all the variations off the top of my head.

Also you don't want to add sugar into the tea or coffee during the fasting period. What you are trying to is not spike the insulin in your body. I know Robb Wolf was iffy about artificial sweeteners (splenda, stevia...etc) also, he says some people still interpert those by spiking insulin but some people don't react.

Fish oil/vitamins- Also don't take these during the fasting period.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
Kevin McKay

Profile:
I have been eating between noon and 6pm weekdays for about 6 months now. First couple of weeks it was hard tired, headaches, but now it is a walk in the park never get hungry, blood sugar is ultra stable and gained muscle.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:26 AM   #5
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
I've been doing 12-8 for half a year as well. I have put on a few pounds and never lost any mass. I think it's a pretty good deal.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM   #6
Michael Ledney

Profile:
Hmmm. I guess I do Jeff's variation of IF.

I typically put down 4 5 block meals between noon and 6 (i.e. 12/2/4/6). I stumbled into that pattern simply because that's when I'm hungry and it gives me ~ 3 hours between my last meal and my workout (generally ~9PM).

Strangely I'm never hungry outside that window so it's very easy to adhere to.
Old 03-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #7
Kevin McKay

Profile:
in a nutshell if kicks arse! Try it
may take a couple weeks to adjust

Cheers
Old 11-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #8
Tim Davis

Profile:
Re: Is IF this simple?

Wow! I've done this for years when I wasn't in a training time (and eating the 5-6 times a day). Didn't know it was an actual "method." Interesting. Looking into it even more now...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #9
Michael Dykstra

Profile:

I do it of sorts. I don't eat breakfest my first meal of the day is some time between 12:30 and 1 then I don't eat again tell I get home from work around 7. I won't eat any snacks through out hte day. It works so far but I think I need to add a snack inbetween lunch and dinner because I start to get tired around 4 or 5. It could also be that I am not getting enough calories.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM   #10
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jeff
If you find yourself without time to get breakfast or lunch, IF would be great if for nothing other than scheduling. I eat all of my meals between 5PM and 10PM (or thereabouts), which allows me to get up at 7:15 AM to leave for school at 7:30 AM, without having to make either breakfast or pack a lunch. That extra bit of sleep is a great thing.

In the feeding window, I normally have 4-5 meals, each one taking about 15 minutes to prepare and eat. (I'm not a fancy cook.)