CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-05-2010, 02:03 PM   #1
Dave Wolf

Profile:
24 hour long fitness challenge question

I'm going to be signing up for a 24 hour long fitness challenge at the Crossfit box I go to. I'm curious as to people's thoughts on 'maintenance' and strategy throughout those 24 hours. (Maintenance being sleep, hand maintenance, stretching, massage, nutrition, hydration, etc.)

http://www.crossfittroy.com/september-fundraisers.html (wfs)

It starts @ 4:30 in the afternoon one day, and finishes 24 hours later. Basic format is one 10 minute AMRAP every hour. No idea what the workouts will be, other than the last one will be two rounds of FGB.

Thanks for your help!

-Dave-
http://becoming-crossfit.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html (wfs)
Old 09-05-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:
Re: 24 hour long fitness challenge question

If I did that I would probably sleep through most of the rest periods from the get go, right after eating and drinking and whatever else needs to be done.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #3
Dave Wolf

Profile:

Thanks for your thoughts Kevin. I'll definitely need all the rest I can get.

-Dave-
http://becoming-crossfit.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html (wfs)
Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
Skip Chase

Profile:

Hmmm...interesting.
I've done 2 -24 hour events. One was 24 hours on a stationary bike to raise funds for Cancer society. The second was 24 hours performing crunches (Guinness called them sit-ups) using an abdominal frame, to establish a new Guinness World Record.

Both= no sleep, no rest. The only 'breaks' were when I had to go to the bathroom. I did not eat any food. I only took supplements and drank fluids.

Why the long breaks? I think they would be counter-productive.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I've done a few 24 hour events. I blogged about most of them, if you want to read. I mention a little bit about strategy, nutrition, pacing, etc. if you want to read:

They're all work/family safe except you might see some shirtless guys

NYC Hell Night I, II, and III (all organized by me)
http://sstrains.blogspot.com/2010/01...nt-report.html
http://sstrains.blogspot.com/2010/05...nt-report.html
http://sstrains.blogspot.com/2010/08...nt-report.html

Vermont 100 Mile Endurance Run
http://sstrains.blogspot.com/2009/07...endurance.html

Let me know if you have any specific questions or advice. I can probably point you to some resources based on studies or advice from myself or someone more experienced.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Dave Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
Hmmm...interesting.
I've done 2 -24 hour events. One was 24 hours on a stationary bike to raise funds for Cancer society. The second was 24 hours performing crunches (Guinness called them sit-ups) using an abdominal frame, to establish a new Guinness World Record.

Both= no sleep, no rest. The only 'breaks' were when I had to go to the bathroom. I did not eat any food. I only took supplements and drank fluids.
Wow! Impressive feats to say the least Skip! It's been a little while, but I recall watching a couple of your videos on the Crossfit site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
Why the long breaks? I think they would be counter-productive.
If we're assuming that the goal is to do as many reps as possible, or do as much work as possible during a 24 hour period I completely agree with you. You'd certainly want less rest in there.

That being said, AMWAP (W = workouts) Fran, or Cindy, or Murph, or whatever benchmark or combination of benchmarks for a solid 24 hour period with no breaks would simply turn people's hands into a bloody mess among whatever other side-effects. I imagine Rhabdo would be a serious concern attempting to do something like that as well.

I didn't design the challenge, so I can't say what the intended goal is (other than being a fundraiser), I can only guess. I'll see if I can find out who came up with it and find out some more info. You've got me curious now. If I had to guess, I'd suspect that one of the trainers at Centerville Crossfit south of town had a hand in it. He does endurance adventure racing (my description) type stuff.

Anyway, I suspect it's a comprimise between 'always on for 24 hours' and being able to keep up some kind of level of intensity in Crossfit style workouts without having to put yourself in the hospital. Just a WAG.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Dave Wolf

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Let me know if you have any specific questions or advice. I can probably point you to some resources based on studies or advice from myself or someone more experienced.
Thanks for the info. Shane. I'll be working my way through your links, and I'm sure I'll have some questions afterward.

I've never really done anything like this before, so I'm just trying to put together some kind of plan so I can make it through to the end of the event. Here are a couple questions I can think of off the top of my head...

What's the best way to prevent hand tears? If they do tear, what's the best way to maintain them at that point?

Nutrition strategies for such a long event. I can probably put something very basic together, but not much of a clue here either. Would love to see any references you might have on this.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 09:02 AM   #8
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolf View Post
What's the best way to prevent hand tears? If they do tear, what's the best way to maintain them at that point?
Best way to prevent hand tears is to hold the bar properly...
The bar should be held at the base of your figners, not in the palm of your hands. Shave or file calluses before the event. Skin should not be thin but it should not have any raised spots either.

If you get a tear, I would say the best way to fix it is:

- clean with alcohol/witch hazel
- apply a small piece of cotton ball or cotton gauze to the tear
- bend your wrist backward as far as it will go (so that the tape won't be too tight when it gets in this position during the workout)
- run a piece of athletic tape over the cotton ball/gauze the entire length of your hand on both sides so that it is parallel (not perpendicular) to your fingers
- if the tear is near the finger, then put a hole in the middle of the tape before you put it on, and then slip your finger through the hole
- run a piece of tape around the base of the wrist so that the tape running parallel stays in place

Hope that explanation was clear. I couldn't find a good picture of it but I do know that Josh Everett used that technique during Day 2 of 2009 CrossFit Games, like in this picture:
http://crossfitnasti.files.wordpress...pg?w=250&h=229 (wfs)

Maybe if you fish around the site you can see a better shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolf View Post
Nutrition strategies for such a long event. I can probably put something very basic together, but not much of a clue here either. Would love to see any references you might have on this.
Thanks!
Thoughts on glycogen loading:
http://ultrunr.com/glycogenloading.html (wfs)

And overall nutritional suggestions for endurance events:
http://ultrunr.com/food_energy.html (wfs)
Old 09-08-2010, 06:10 AM   #9
Dave Wolf

Profile:

Shane -

Thanks for all the references! I haven't made it through all of the info. yet, but there's some interesting stuff from what I've read so far.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #10
Thomas Bailly

Profile:

wear gloves,
eat lightly before being hungry,
drink before being thirsty. Don't over eat or over drink, there we go.......