CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-16-2010, 08:32 PM   #71
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Re: O.K.....Why Rowing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
Oh, that sounds "fun". I might have to break that out.
errrm do this then 1 minute of grappling betwen the run/row...repeat 5 times.

Absolute torture. And fun.
Old 08-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #72
Laura Rucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln Brigham View Post
To make the rowing harder, One looks up online how fast people of the same age/sex/weight are rowing. Then One realizes that One has been a delusional slacker and needs to put a whole new level of pain into One's training.

To make rowing easier, One proudly tracks only the hours spent in the seat and ignores measures like total distance rowed, wattage, and pace.

I want to look up times for people of my age/sex/weight/HEIGHT are rwoing. I am getting robbed on the recovery/return. Sucks to be a densely muscled midget on a rower.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #73
Lou Cabales

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Rucker View Post
I want to look up times for people of my age/sex/weight/HEIGHT are rwoing. I am getting robbed on the recovery/return. Sucks to be a densely muscled midget on a rower.
http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.aspYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

nobody uses it but there is a crossfit country code (xfit)
Old 08-17-2010, 12:40 AM   #74
Laura Rucker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Cabales View Post
http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/rankings.aspYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE.

nobody uses it but there is a crossfit country code (xfit)

Thank you! I found it and checked my 5k time. Definitely not many times recorded but my 5k row PR is 22:08 (soon to be sub 22) and that puts me in the top 25 percet of those listed. Kinda cool.

And as for why rowing - to the OP, I think once you apply the same effort and intensity to rowing as you do to say, thrusters, pull ups, burpess etc you will see that rowing is a near perfect fit with CrossFit. Power output is king!

Rowing, a burpee you do sitting down!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #75
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
ugh...Laura...I've never looked at it that way before.

...and now i want to forget it
Old 08-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #76
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Lee View Post
ugh...Laura...I've never looked at it that way before.

...and now i want to forget it
lol, that is a good one, but I like rowing way better. Rowing is one of these things that my Dad always told me was awesome, but that I never really got on board with...until CF and getting my own C2.

This thread has been bothering me for some time, it's akin to the guy that thinks that squats are bad for you...

If you question squats, it's because you have never done them, if you question the C2 rower, it's because you've never used it. Get on the darn thing and you're questions will be answered.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #77
Anne Dayton

Profile:

Quote:
I suck at burpees, but do pretty well at rowing.
I agree with Brian - get on the darn thing and mess with the settings etc. You might learn it isn't so horrible.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #78
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Dayton View Post
I suck at burpees, but do pretty well at rowing.
I agree with Brian - get on the darn thing and mess with the settings etc. You might learn it isn't so horrible.
If it's not horrible, that usually means you're not rowing hard. As plenty of people have noted above, there are few things more painful than a 500m or 2K time trial. There's really no way to sustain a high power output without making yourself uncomfortable.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:59 PM   #79
Anne Dayton

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
If it's not horrible, that usually means you're not rowing hard. As plenty of people have noted above, there are few things more painful than a 500m or 2K time trial. There's really no way to sustain a high power output without making yourself uncomfortable.
Yes, but I think that people may dislike uncomfortableness in different ways. I love running and rowing and don't mind almost throwing up, but do that to me on a bike and I want to kick the stupid thing to death or set it on fire.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #80
Drew Cloutier

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Casimir View Post
Darla,

My opinion:

* Rowing can hit all three pathways well in an overlapping way. If you pull hard you get strength. If you pull medium you get a great metcon workout. If you pull lighter for a longer distance you get a great endurance workout. I keep a puke bucket near the rower just in case -- haven't had to use it yet but came close several times. The hard/medium pull metcon can be an incredibly intense rush in a very short time.

* It is more fun than a treadmill. I've never thought of a treadmill as addicting, but the rower is to me.

* It is physical therapy. I had some elbow tendonitis that was treated by rowing. No pain anymore. I had the pain before CrossFit and it was being aggravated by the pullups. Not anymore.

* The competition element is great. C2 has an online log that you can auto-upload to, or manually enter your data, and compare to people around the world.
I'd have to disagree on the usage of the word strength and instead interject POWER. In that you are moving something relatively light (the resistance of a C2 is not nearly as much as a 300+ pound deadlift), fairly fast if you want to go somewhere, so its not so much strength as it is power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Guere View Post
The C2 is one of the few "machines" that does not make the work any easier. Most machines are crutches. The C2 is not.

And an all out 2K row has NOTHING on a 5K row. Just sayin'
All depends on goals right, 20-25mins for me is to long, to much enduranced based, hence why I stick with 500m, 1000m and 2000m.

My one question/complaint, is why the hell do they make the foot platform so damn narrow...anyone else have this problem, where its just to narrow...and well thighs are squishing things you dont want squished!