CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM   #1
Joshua Boyd

Profile:
Goals vs Paleo diet vs zone, fat to fit ?'s

So I've been doing crossfit for about 6 weeks.

Background is I've always been pretty strong, hit the gym regulary, lifting, running on treadmill -

I was about 245 about a year+ ago, now im at 200-205; 6'2''

There's some strength loss when it comes weight loss, especially when you try to cut to fast.

I'm still at about 20% bf per my electronic scale. My goal would be to hit 15% and eventually 10-12%; but I don't want to get much "smaller" - rather be about 220lb and 12-15% BF long term.

Right now i still have that rim of fat that won't go away on my gut, that's my main focus right now, but don't know if it should be.

I'm buying into the paleo hype after reading about it. Logically it makes sense, but realistically it seems a lot like anything else. My interpretation thus far is that to be true paleo would be impossible. No pesticides, no hormone fed animals seem pretty far fetched. Plus I think milk is a great PWO recovery drink.

Just wondering what's worked for some of you guys - and if you guys do paleo, are you really doing paleo or you trying your best to do paleo with what works for you -? If you bend it too much do you still see the benifits?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Goals vs Paleo diet vs zone, fat to fit ?'s

So you want to gain 20lbs while losing another 8-10% bodyfat? That may not be a very realistic goal for anytime in the near future. If you've only been at this for 6 weeks I'd recommend aiming for continued performance gains and not worrying too much about what the scale or the (wildly inaccurate) bodyfat measuring scale tell you.

Do you have any performance-related goals? They're a lot easier to track and progress towards than ones dealing with body composition. Body composition doesn't always equate to fitness.

As for Paleo, it really depends on your priorities and wallet. It does get expensive to try to eat locally grown, organic, grassfed, pastured, etc. all the time so most people just try to do the best they can. Shopping at farmers markets is a good way to go for that.

Obviously the closer you get to 100% Paleo the better your results will be--too many "exceptions" or cheats will be detrimental to reaching your goals. And if you want to do a complete reset and see what effects various foods are having on your body (sugar, gluten, dairy, etc.) then it's pretty important to avoid them completely for a few weeks before slowly reintroducing them to see what the effects are.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:07 AM   #3
Joshua Boyd

Profile:
Re: Goals vs Paleo diet vs zone, fat to fit ?'s

Hey Eric,

Thx for the feedback. Yea, regarding the 220lbs. That's just a long term goal - im not foolish enough to think im gonna cut and gain 20lbs of muscle in 6months

Performance goals are where my head is at - journal'ing and getting better times on WODS and being competitive with local guys is what's driving me -

The 6-pack thing has just been a goal, and its hard to cut weight without losing strength. Feel like im on the cusp, like if i dropped another 10lbs, but I dont really want shrink...or more important lose strength.

I was actually looking more at paleo just because of healthy eating and being healthy long term. Some family members have been sick, and it makes you thinik about what causes X illnes

Guess i answered my own question, just eat healthy and keep working out and just let time take care of the rest -