CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #31
Darla Powell

Profile:
Re: Who has leaned out just by cutting dairy?

Ok. I have gone a full 24 hours with no dairy and my sinuses are congested as heck. What's that all about?
Old 08-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #32
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

1. I've learned never to evaluate something based only on the results of one day; especially with diet.
  2. Could just be a bad sinus day. I have `em all the time, and I'm pretty much no dairy whatsoever. Leaving dairy isn't necessarily a silver bullet for all asthma issues.
- Mark
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #33
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla Powell View Post
Ok. I have gone a full 24 hours with no dairy and my sinuses are congested as heck. What's that all about?
If Miami is anything like Austin, it may have nothing to do with your diet - allergies hit me out of nowhere here sometimes, then go away as quickly as they come. Or, within hours of being in Houston I typically start to suffer!

but I'm with Mark - give it the full 30 to make a judgment. Good luck!
Old 08-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #34
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Alternately, you're getting rid of the garbage in your sinuses, and now that they're not completely overworked by what you're putting into them, they can focus on getting out what you need to get out? Which, come to think of it, isn't a terribly technical explanation but it's a guess. Mostly when coming off things, I note odd symptoms for a while, and then they go away. In my experience, if something isn't a problem when I go off, it's generally not a problem when I add it back to my diet. But if it's hard/painful to cut out, then putting it back is not healthy for me.

I'm with the others - give it 30!
Old 08-09-2010, 06:16 PM   #35
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Mullens View Post
Alternately, you're getting rid of the garbage in your sinuses, and now that they're not completely overworked by what you're putting into them, they can focus on getting out what you need to get out?
How do you know dairy is what is causing problems with her sinuses? Like I've said here, dairy doesn't affect mine at all. Only the weather does.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #36
Brian Monk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
How do you know dairy is what is causing problems with her sinuses? Like I've said here, dairy doesn't affect mine at all. Only the weather does.
You stopped reading right at the end of the sentence you quoted, didnt you? The very next sentence, states that it was a guess.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #37
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
It was a guess, yes. For a lot of reasons (my own fibromyalgia being only one of them), I've done a lot of elimination dieting over the last 20 years or so. A couple of things I've noticed are:

1) If I cut something out that has a negative effect on my condition, the first 1-2 weeks are absolute hell. The nature of that food will determine my experiences cutting it out of my diet.

2) If, having cut something out of my diet for 30+ days, I then add it back, I get symptoms that generally mimic those that I had coming off something.

So. She mentioned that she was having congested sinuses. My conjecture was that it could be one of four things:

A) She is getting sick.

B) There are weather changes in her area that happened to coincide with her choice to remove dairy from her diet.

C) She may be sensitive to dairy. Not allergic, but sensitive.

D) There's something else going on about which I know NOTHING, as I'm not a doctor and I'm not looking at her blood test results.

Now - I assumed she would have mentioned something about A or B - either had she begun displaying other symptoms, or had there been a storm passing through. Many people note some difference with sinuses in both cases, and that's common enough that I guessed she likely would have factored that in and either ruled it out, or not.

I can't do anything about D.

And C - my SWAG - is something I've seen as a common side effect of going off dairy. Many people are sensitive to dairy, though I wouldn't call it a true allergy.

It's just a guess, but if it passes, and then a month from now she tries dairy, she may experience a slight congestion in response. Or she may not. Everyone's different, after all.

@Jason - I think more people are moderately to slightly sensitive to dairy than truly allergic. However, being on a board of people who are looking for optimal performance, and who are working on being more in tune with their bodies, doesn't it stand to reason that perhaps those people note what to many off these boards would be an insignificant difference? Fluctuating in weight by a pound doesn't matter to the average person, but to the fighter just before the weigh-in, it's critical. That may be more what you're seeing than just good imaginations at work.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #38
Darla Powell

Profile:

It was just the one day. I really don't have any allergies...that I know of.