CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Shannon Mullens

Profile:
Re: experience with gluten intolerance?

Well. Domino's does a deal with a pizza and hot wings - pizza for him, hot wings for you and again - everyone's a winner. My husband eats marginally paleo/Zone - insofar as when I cook he eats what I make him and he bloody well likes it - but when we go out he gets what he wants and I don't nag him about it. Though when we order delivery it's trickier, usually we go the pizza for him, wings for me route.

As for the rest, the hard part about weaning people off bread is that it's both 1) tasty, and 2) filling. Making sure there are enough fats to give him that full feeling will go a long way toward sparing you listening to whining about not having bread as part of every single meal.

And for gluten intolerance - I am very sensitive to gluten. If I splurge/cheat on some things, I'm more or less ok, but heavily processed gluten-filled deliciousness like past or pancakes makes me pass out for 2-3 hours and wake up groggy.

You're certainly not alone. I wouldn't call it an allergic reaction, since it doesn't follow allergy patterns, but it's certainly sensitivity. I just consider it an added incentive to stay on paleo/Zone, and it factors into every thought of cheating I have. Which isn't a lot, mind you - but sometimes that roll at the restaurant is SO tempting. Then I remember that I still have to do my WOD and that I need to be able to walk home, and I just pass on that delicious, delicious gluten.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #12
Erika Fischer

Profile:

That's encouraging to know that it can work even with a husband that isn't completely on board.

It seems simple enough- he can eat what's for dinner or make himself something. He might even get lazy and start eating healthier.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Chris Lampe

Profile:

Papa John's has a section on their website where they describe their "better ingredients" and they use the term "high-protein flour" to describe their pizza crust. Your problems may be something that is specific to their exact ingredients or maybe their crust just has more gluten than some others. Have you tried other pizzas?

I have a long history of some kind of digestive intolerance but Papa John's pizza is one of my "safe" foods. If I eat PJ's I can pretty much depend on having a symptom free day after.

Last edited by Chris Lampe : 08-09-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #14
Erika Fischer

Profile:

Maybe.

It does make sense that a dough that has more protein (gluten) in it might illicit more of a response. But if I were to guess, I'd say that all major pizza joints use high protein flour. It makes for a chewier crust. Heck, I even used high protein flour (bread flour) when I made my own pizza.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #15
Elizabeth Hall

Profile:

I eat Paleo and my husband does not, nor do my 4 kids. It's really not that difficult to just avoid what they are eating. Just wanted to let you know, it can be done