CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-31-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
Damon Stewart

Profile:
Re: Programming For Strength Advice

If you can do 2 days a week I'd prioritize this way for 8-12 weeks.

Day 1
Squat - 5, 5, 5, 3, 3
Press - 5, 5, 5, 5, 5
Bench 3, 3, 3

Day 2
Squat 5, 5, 5, 3, 3
Deadlift 3, 3, 3, 3, 3
Power Clean 3, 3, 3

Look for basic linear progression i.e. try to add 10lbs/session to your big lifts and 5lbs to your presses. I doubt you'll feel overtrained with this plus CF especially if you up your calories. Lots of meat. Once you've got done with the quick and easy gains I'd go to Starr's heavy/light/med protocol or a DE and ME day.
Old 05-31-2010, 02:47 PM   #12
John C. Brown

Profile:

Damon,

I was totally expecting a different post from you given the previous posts.

To the OP, if you are looking for good literature on lifting, I recommend buying Louie Simmons book "Westside Barbell Book of Methods." The programming is structured in a way that supports a side by side strength dominant program with CrossFit. In fact it encourages work like it. The weights don't get too heavy on the dynamic days, no more than 65% or so and it helps you learn about speed in power movements. I have been doing CF and lifting for 4 years now and since changing I have hung 30 pounds on my back squat in the last 2 months... it's nice.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post
Damon,

I was totally expecting a different post from you given the previous posts.

To the OP, if you are looking for good literature on lifting, I recommend buying Louie Simmons book "Westside Barbell Book of Methods." The programming is structured in a way that supports a side by side strength dominant program with CrossFit. In fact it encourages work like it. The weights don't get too heavy on the dynamic days, no more than 65% or so and it helps you learn about speed in power movements. I have been doing CF and lifting for 4 years now and since changing I have hung 30 pounds on my back squat in the last 2 months... it's nice.
Hmm, I may have to add that book to my library. Sounds like an interesting read.

For the OP, however, I really think that is the wrong way to go. His numbers indicate that he is very new to real strength training, especially heavy barbell lifts. He really needs to concentrate on the basics and exhaust some linear progression before he starts trying to add complicated elements that might compromise his yet to be nailed down lifting form, ESPECIALLY since he will be doing the lifts on his own.

Keep it simple!! I think Damon's program, or the one I posted would both work well (CF Witchita falls won't QUITE work because he won't be programming his own metcons or be able to do whatever lifts he wants before hand). BTW, how did you come up with that particular rep scheme, Damon?
Old 05-31-2010, 03:44 PM   #14
John C. Brown

Profile:

David, I have been programming this way for my affiliate and have seen unbelievable results, especially with the beginners. The thing about it is that because the dynamic days are done light, you can focus on form under speed as well as trying to decrease your time under load. Then on the 1 rm days, you spend about 30 minutes lifting hard and then get to CF wods. My clients don't program for themselves and on top of that, I still do whatever comes up. If I need to modify a movement I will (I never do, because the amount of work that comes with this style of lifting isn't hard to support so long as I eat well). Anyway, OP's numbers are fine, might as well start off with a program that will lead to success as efficiently as possible, this does it for me, I'll never go back.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:15 PM   #15
David Meverden

Profile:

I'd love to hear more about your training layout, either here or via PM, but for the OP you have to remember his circumstances. He won't have a coach to program his lifting, monitor his progress, or watch his lifts. Despite almost NO strength training experience he would, presumably, have to dive into a world of primary exercise selection, assistance work selection, pendulum waves, and explosive sets to try to create a custom westside program that would fit the CF workouts he doesn't program and his availability of only a couple lifting days a week. I just don't see that as a practical solution for him.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #16
Mikhail Rubinshteyn

Profile:

to Chris,

I had a knee surgery a little under two years ago which gave me some complications and side lined me for more than a year. I have only in the last few months began to be comfortable enough to even squat and deadlift without having a swollen knee for the next week.

So yeah, I am ridiculously weak in my lower body, and hence why I made this post looking for help.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I will keep it simple and add in two heavy lifting days to my 3 metcons a week and start light to work on form and use linear programming. Will report back results in 6 weeks or so.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
Chris Mason

Profile:

If you have had knee issues then you NEED to learn how to box squat properly. See if you can find some demonstration videos online.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Two days per week of strength training is adequate for maintenance if you have exhausted linear progression and are in the interm. stage. If you are a novice, and you are based on those numbers, than you need to strength train 3 days per week for about 3-4 months if you want to really get stronger. At least this is the way is was explained by Rip on numerous occassions. If you can't bring yourself to do this, than you have to ask yourself is getting stronger is truly a priority for you. If it is, you'll do what you have to do to do something about it.

You can easily lift 3x per week and do 2 conditioning workouts per week if you do a little research and plan your **** right. This assumes that you'll be eating and sleeping to support this workload.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:13 AM   #19
Damon Stewart

Profile:

Randy,

Are you saying that it's been your experience that a novice who barbell trains heavy 2x/week won't progress in a linear fashion? We've incorporated 2x/week squats with CF as well as 3x/week and people made great progress both ways.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:28 AM   #20
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Stewart View Post
Randy,

Are you saying that it's been your experience that a novice who barbell trains heavy 2x/week won't progress in a linear fashion? We've incorporated 2x/week squats with CF as well as 3x/week and people made great progress both ways.
It's been my experience that a novice who barbell trains 2x per week doesn't make nearly the gains that a novice who barbell trains 3x per week. Who made better progress at your place? The 2x or 3x per week people? It's a mathematical fact that a novice will get stronger training barbells 3x per week than once or twice per week.

But, I guess it's all about priorities. I thought that if dude came on here posting a thread about strength programming, that he figured he was weak in some areas and needed to do something about it. The goal will be accomplished a lot faster and he can go back to the met-cons (which it sounds like he really enjoys) sooner by making strength training a priority for 8-12 weeks.