CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #1
Conrad Mendoza

Profile:
Charging trainers' significant others?

I am a new affiliate (not even open yet) and I was wondering if there was some type of unwritten code that a trainer's significant other was free? How about a trainer that works very limited hours? Or how about even a junior trainer?

Affiliates, what do you guys do? Trainers, what do you guys expect? And everyone else, what seems right?

Thanks for any input. Still bare bones, but check out my soon to open box at www.crossfitov.com (wfs).

Conrad
CrossFit Ocean View
Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Kane Greene

Profile:
Re: Charging trainers' significant others?

I charge 150 a month, and a family member can join you for 95 extra a month.

I have a husband and wife that come, and the wife has 3 certs and I am going to let her train for free whenever if she helps with some of the classes. I'm going to let her husband train for just the 95, as I think that is more than reasonable.

Remember, it's a business.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
Brad Motzer

Profile:

In my opinion, I would have no problem if the significant other was coming in and being trained by their spouse on their own time. If they were taking up a class spot then I would expect them to pay something, even if its not the full membership amount. If I were to run an open door policy the way Skip Chase runs CrossFit Mt Baker, I would expect them to pay if being trained by a trainer on the clock, again, even if its not the entire membership amount.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Jakub Marciniec

Profile:

At our gym we have one significant other can train for free with their partner (the trainer) and 3 (close friends) can train for half price with their trainer but the trainer does not get paid for any of this
Old 02-26-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
John C. Brown

Profile:

There is no way I would ever let a significant other train under their spouse... Husbands and wives do not, historically learn well from each other. Our trainers workout for free, their spouses/ SO's workout for a reduced price. In fact, all family members of our trainers workout at reduced cost, not just their better half's.

Good luck with the opening.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Motzer View Post
If I were to run an open door policy the way Skip Chase runs CrossFit Mt Baker, I would expect them to pay if being trained by a trainer on the clock, again, even if its not the entire membership amount.
First, do you understand exactly what we do? Every time I see the word 'open' I wonder what your definition is. IMO the business model has no relevance to the question.

To answer the op, we charge trainer's spouse based on their status as an employee. Full time employee's spouse trains for free. Part time employee's spouse pay either a full rate (if they work less than 10 hours a week) to a discounted rate (if they work 10-30 hours). If they are not married to their SO, they pay full rate.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #7
Andrew Cooper

Profile:

We allow spouses and significant others to train for free. We consider it a benefit of being a trainer, since we don't provide health benefits. Its a way to give back to the trainers for all their hard work and dedication.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM   #8
Brad Motzer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
First, do you understand exactly what we do? Every time I see the word 'open' I wonder what your definition is. IMO the business model has no relevance to the question.

To answer the op, we charge trainer's spouse based on their status as an employee. Full time employee's spouse trains for free. Part time employee's spouse pay either a full rate (if they work less than 10 hours a week) to a discounted rate (if they work 10-30 hours). If they are not married to their SO, they pay full rate.
I apologize. I shouldn't have spoke as if I've been there. I did not mean to say that it was open, but revolving in that there aren't structured classes, at least from my understanding of your video interviews. Admittedly, I have my own conceptions about what you do from those small clips, but all I was saying was that if a box was being run where certain trainers were on the clock for a period of time and trained a new client when the one they were training is finished (which is my understanding of what you do, again, I apologize for using your name without asking) then I would expect it to be for paying clients first, especially during busier hours.