CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #1
Daniel Schoenbrod

Profile:
CrossFit PE

Hello all,

As a PE teacher from California I am in the process of "building my case" to pitch the implementation of a CrossFit program in my districts PE classes.

Any words of wisdom?

Equipment is not the problem. We've got great athletic equipment. Well, minus rowers and rings...
It's more the human component to this equation that's tricky. Some younger coleagues are certainly supportive while others (those that have their students WALK the track for exercise) are more or less resistant. However, winning over administration is key. And they care less about physical performance than attendance, participation, student engagement, passing rate, accountablity, assessment opportunities, synergic effect on academics etc.

I know there are a number of success stories out there. Can I use you as a reference?

Thanks,
Daniel
Old 02-18-2010, 06:09 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: CrossFit PE

Daniel- There have been several Canadian groups that have implemented CF into the school system.

I would check with the Martins at Brand X since most of those folks went through CFKids classes. They are also just a fantastic resource for all things kids and training.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #3
Brad Motzer

Profile:

Watching the documentary on Tanya Wagner after she won the 2009 CF Games, she discusses how she and her husband both utilize CF methods in their PE classes in Pennsylvania. I don't know if they read the message boards, but you can call them at 215.872.1013 or email them at crossfitapex@yahoo.com.

Before anyone gets upset, that telephone number and email address are the ones they posted on their website.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
James Childress

Profile:

If modern PE classes are anything like modern academic classes, you will have to make a system where you dumb it down for the dumbest kid in the class. So, basically, the slow, fat, stupid kid will need to be able to keep up.

I can see it now:

Administrator: Does this crossfit thingy cause a reaction when mixed with Ritalin?

You: I don't think so.

Admin: Can kids with asthma do it?

You: We might want to let them sit it out.

Administrator: What will kids that are not athletically gifted or calorically challenged do?

You: The same thing as everyone else, we'll just scale it down for them.

Admin.: So they will feel like an outcast because they won't be as fast or as strong as the other kids and their delicate sensibilities will kick in and their feelings will be hurt.

You: err...Perhaps...but..

Admin: Does this crossfit thingy involve diversity or sensitivity training?

You: No.

Admin.: Then let's just have them walk around the track. That way every kid will feel special by doing exactly the same thing, mmmkay? Oh, and remember, don't keep score if you play any kind of sports games. Thanks for coming in, buh-bye.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Sean McCue

Profile:

I teach PE in California and use CrossFit for all my classes. I've had similar colleagues. Email me at brawny1@gmail.com. I will gladly help you out any way I can.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Jason M Struck

Profile:

DON'T TELL THEM IT'S CROSSFIT and just do it.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #7
John C. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Childress View Post
If modern PE classes are anything like modern academic classes, you will have to make a system where you dumb it down for the dumbest kid in the class. So, basically, the slow, fat, stupid kid will need to be able to keep up.

I can see it now:

Administrator: Does this crossfit thingy cause a reaction when mixed with Ritalin?

You: I don't think so.

Admin: Can kids with asthma do it?

You: We might want to let them sit it out.

Administrator: What will kids that are not athletically gifted or calorically challenged do?

You: The same thing as everyone else, we'll just scale it down for them.

Admin.: So they will feel like an outcast because they won't be as fast or as strong as the other kids and their delicate sensibilities will kick in and their feelings will be hurt.

You: err...Perhaps...but..

Admin: Does this crossfit thingy involve diversity or sensitivity training?

You: No.

Admin.: Then let's just have them walk around the track. That way every kid will feel special by doing exactly the same thing, mmmkay? Oh, and remember, don't keep score if you play any kind of sports games. Thanks for coming in, buh-bye.

James,

I am not sure what exposure you have to CrossFit Kids programs and programming but this would likely fall into their perview and I would say that none of the problems that you have brought up above are real concerns when you understand the programming a little bit better. We have a member that runs a gym class in town after getting her kids and level one certs and she ran into some problems out of the gate (a science teacher whose child was in the class was in no way going to let her daughter squat below parallel). We (my wife and I) got her all of the research that we have that disproved any knee issues and that was the last problem she had. The kids program is really more of a fun derived program, so kids will want to do it.

Daniel, if I were you, I would email Jeff and Mikki Martin, they are a godsend when it comes to dealing with the issues that are likely to come up. You can reach them at jeff@crossfitkids.com or mikki@crossfitkids.com. Good luck, it is a really cool thing that you are trying to do.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM   #8
James Childress

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post
James,

I am not sure what exposure you have to CrossFit Kids programs and programming but this would likely fall into their perview and I would say that none of the problems that you have brought up above are real concerns when you understand the programming a little bit better. We have a member that runs a gym class in town after getting her kids and level one certs and she ran into some problems out of the gate (a science teacher whose child was in the class was in no way going to let her daughter squat below parallel). We (my wife and I) got her all of the research that we have that disproved any knee issues and that was the last problem she had. The kids program is really more of a fun derived program, so kids will want to do it.
Yeah... John, that post was designed to be a tongue-in-cheek stab at current school administrators and the general wussification of American kids. But, thanks for putting the noob in his place.

I'll turn the sarcasm output level up a bit more next time.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Doesn't Coach B use his own methods to coach PE at his school?
Old 02-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
John C. Brown

Profile:

Coach B is retired Blair. He did use similar methods of teaching the lifts at the high school level though.

James,

I get that you were trying to be funny, and in fact found myself chuckling at all of the points you made as I have heard all of those ridiculous arguments from school administrators and parents. The problem is that 1. sarcasm doesn't translate well in written medium (learned through several failed attempts) and 2. it didn't actually help the OP get a suitable answer. I feel you though, California can't group by gender and it seems that no one plays dodgeball anymore. Our kiddos definitely need a shot of hard work to teach them that not everyone is a winner and winning in life usually correlates to hard work at some point.