CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #71
John Scott Rezendes

Profile:
Re: progenex?!

Not so much, Jamie. Wouldn't bother me if Marlboro sponsored a Run For Your Lungs 5k and handed out smokes at the water breaks. Corporate greedheads need to be fought in arenas wherein we can actually whoop 'em. My moral compass points north, it just spins around alot getting there.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #72
Sam Ser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Refenes View Post
I agree, they choose to sponsor an athletic event to gain market share from the community. I agree. However, I think there's a distinct difference between their logo being at the games, and HQ coming out with articles and lectures about how progenex product XYZ is a part of optimum fitness and should be taken by all CrossFitters.

Again, I think the line-crossing beings when HQ starts perscribing their products as parts of optimal fitness. Which hasn't happened.
i agree.(yay! we agree!)

as i've already said, i wonder how long before the supplementation articles begin to appear.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 AM   #73
Gus Gallagher

Profile:

caveat emptor

that is all...

Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 AM   #74
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Ser View Post
as i've already said, i wonder how long before the supplementation articles begin to appear.
How about never? I'm curious if you've taken this whole "free content" thing a little too far. Just because you have access to the mainpage for free doesn't mean that they incur no costs. Who is going to pay for the ~$50k in drug testing costs, the massive cost of logistical support in getting the area prepped for all the athletes+specatators, and I'm sure the list goes on.

Why can't this just take a free-market approach? It's not a top-down, listen to what I say, and don't ask any questions, kind of community. If Progenex really sells ****ty products, we should all be able to recognize it without looking to HQ for direction. And if Progenex sucks, well thanks for the $50k that the spectators didn't have to pay for, and I'm sure they won't be back next year after not making a cent off their investment.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:51 AM   #75
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

"It's not a top-down, listen to what I say, and don't ask any questions, kind of community"

It seems to be heading that way

Old 12-18-2009, 07:26 AM   #76
Joe Mercurio

Profile:

Jamie, would I be correct that we're talking about the nutrition debate over ratios vs. quality?

The problem is that people are viewing the Journal articles as HQ dogma when it's really just a forum for SME to express their opinions. Of which, under the comments section, is where Tony says more can be learned than the video/article itself.

I'm willing to bet that most crossfitters disagree with Sears about his preference for ratios vs. quality, and I would agree with them, but editing out sections of SME talks to remain popular opens up another can of worms. I think if you look at all the videos and articles posted, you will find a lot of conflicts in opinions.

The latest Louie Simmons video heavily critiques our squats (Tony Budding has a good air squat, but weak hips for box squatting). Simmons tells Budding to point his toes straight instead of at the 30 degree angle that we normally do to develop that hip strength. Uh-oh, HQ just gave us 2 different directions on how to squat; are they actually going to force me to make an intelligent decision about how to train?

The whole Sears debate is overblown in my opinion. We all think he's wrong, which is great, I'm glad people called him out on it, but I don't think that the Journal articles were ever meant as a good substitute for critical thinking.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 AM   #77
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

The 700 -750 lb deadlift (where are the people with this)

Gant Grimes, Clay jones, and Greg Everett "Departing"

The lack of information from HQ regarding the nutritional cert changes and the reasons.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #78
John C. Brown

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
The 700 -750 lb deadlift (where are the people with this)

Gant Grimes, Clay jones, and Greg Everett "Departing"

The lack of information from HQ regarding the nutritional cert changes and the reasons.
Most of the people lifting 700-750 aren't CrossFitting, they are powerlifting... or dressed in capes and tights saving the world.

Most of the names you mentioned, left CrossFit voluntarily, they may not have known it at the time, but they made the choice.

Progenex is willing and able to drop 50K to the winners of the CrossFit Games, and right now, the very same group of people that they are trying to market to are slamming them for giving money up with no promise of a return on their investment. CrossFit isn't telling you to take protein shakes, the articles aren't coming, even if they did, supplementation is something that is and has been covered in the Nutrition Cert. You are taking yourselves way to seriously and it is for those reasons that large parts of the population that are seriously interested in fitness are right now making fun of you and the fact that your mother is calling you from the kitchen to tell you your oatmeal is ready... steel cut oats of course.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:42 AM   #79
Renee Lee

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. Brown View Post
Most of the people lifting 700-750 aren't CrossFitting, they are powerlifting... or dressed in capes and tights saving the world.

Most of the names you mentioned, left CrossFit voluntarily, they may not have known it at the time, but they made the choice.

<snip>
John, I think you missed the thread Jamie was referring to: It was in the fitness forum yesterday about Coach's quote of saying he can take an athlete from a 200lb to a 500-750lb deadlift 1rm with 2 years of main page programming.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #80
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

John,

I have no problems with the Progenix Sponsorship. I've said before I take supplements and their site and marketing seems to put them in the small category of companies that isn't making outrageous claims.

I don;t think you'll start seeing T-muscle style supplement articles in the Journal, but I also wouldn't mind seeing an article on supplements for CF, what works, when, how much, etc. It seems to come up alot in nutrition, and it would be nice to refer people to article for reference (fish oil, glutamine,, whey, soy, hemp and egg for vegetarians, timing, what to mix with it, etc.)

Closed Thread