CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:
Re: OPT cert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Adams View Post
You can't ride 2 horses with only one ***.
Dunno about that. I've seen some big cowboys and some horses that look like they've sagged in the middle post-ride.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:39 AM   #12
John C. Brown

Profile:

The question isn't whether or not you can ride two horses, the question is whether or not you find integrity with both systems and whether or not those systems are diametrically opposed (and if you want to pay for three affiliations...)

If you feel that what Zach Even-Esh has to say is valuable (which CrossFit seems to think that it is given all of the camera time that he has been getting on the Journal), then go to a cert, learn what you can, use what you learn. If going to an OPT cert makes you a better trainer, then go. I would say that pulling from as many sources as possible and vetting out and refining the best possible path for you as a trainer is a good idea... Just be aware that there will come a point at which those paths diverge. At that point you will have to decide which path to walk, which is fine, but if you leave one or the other there are better ways to go about leaving than bashing one or the other. Stand on the merits of your program, not on the failings of the one that you are leaving behind.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:51 AM   #13
Casey Raiford

Profile:

The idea of an affiliate offering for-fee seminars isn't exactly earth shaking. Check the A-blog and you can find them routinely. Several specialty cert SMEs also have other business operations outside of their relationship with Crossfit.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
Eric Lester

Profile:

This is pretty exciting. I'll definitely be attending one day

Old 12-16-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Adams View Post
So the threshold is disparaging remarks about CrossFit?
It's not a threshold, so to speak (well, you might think of it that way). It's about keeping up your end of the license agreement you signed, which specifically addresses the name and good will associated with CF's trademark. Maybe because I'm a lawyer, this seems so obvious and fundamental to me.

I decide I want to be a licensee of Company X. I sign a legally binding contract with X as their licensee. Company X, like every company, cares about its business reputation - known as good will. It includes a clause in the agreement about protecting the god will and reputation of its name by its licensees.

Now I start publicly saying Company X and its officers are full of $hit, they don't know what they're talking about (in their chosen endeavor), and Company Y actually has a better mousetrap. Way better. So much better, you shouldn't even patronize Company X. (Wait a minute, why am I with Company X again - oh, yeah, they generate a lot of momentum for my other, related business and allow me a targeted group top sell my own stuff to.)

Why is it a surprise when Company X's lawyer holds up the license agreement and says: "Hey, remember when you promised to protect our reputation and good name associated with our mark? Yeah, your f'ing that up."

And, even after being told that, the reply is (essentially) "I can say whatever I want."

Yeah, but this is all hypothetically speaking.

I have no concerns about James. He is a class act. As Coach says: "Canadians, love 'em. Smart, polite people." Makes me proud of my Canuck heritage (Sherbrooke, au sud de Montreal).

Old 12-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #16
Scott Dyck

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale F. Saran View Post
It's not a threshold, so to speak (well, you might think of it that way). It's about keeping up your end of the license agreement you signed, which specifically addresses the name and good will associated with CF's trademark. Maybe because I'm a lawyer, this seems so obvious and fundamental to me.
I decide I want to be a licensee of Company X. I sign a legally binding contract with X as their licensee. Company X, like every company, cares about its business reputation - known as good will. It includes a clause in the agreement about protecting the god will and reputation of its name by its licensees.

Now I start publicly saying Company X and its officers are full of $hit, they don't know what they're talking about (in their chosen endeavor), and Company Y actually has a better mousetrap. Way better. So much better, you shouldn't even patronize Company X. (Wait a minute, why am I with Company X again - oh, yeah, they generate a lot of momentum for my other, related business and allow me a targeted group top sell my own stuff to.)

Why is it a surprise when Company X's lawyer holds up the license agreement and says: "Hey, remember when you promised to protect our reputation and good name associated with our mark? Yeah, your f'ing that up."

And, even after being told that, the reply is (essentially) "I can say whatever I want."

Yeah, but this is all hypothetically speaking.

I have no concerns about James. He is a class act. As Coach says: "Canadians, love 'em. Smart, polite people." Makes me proud of my Canuck heritage (Sherbrooke, au sud de Montreal).
Didn't you learn from your favorite law professor quote that this negates everything else you said?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:10 PM   #17
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

No, it doesn't. Can't tell if you're just tweaking me, but for clarity, it doesn't apply to every use of the word "obvious" - it applies when the person is making an utterly unsubstantiated assertion/conclusion and their basis for the conclusion is "it's obviously so". If it obviously so, point out why. I did.

Second, I pointed out, honestly, that it seems obvious - to me. Perhaps not to the layman. I think it is obvious that if you violate the explicit terms of a contract/agreement, you should not feign shock/surprise when that agreement is terminated.

But, I'm kinda old fashioned that way. And if you're joking - you got me.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Can't tell if you're just tweaking me, but for clarity, it doesn't apply to every use of the word "obvious" - it applies when the person is making an utterly unsubstantiated assertion/conclusion and their basis for the conclusion is "it's obviously so". If it obviously so, point out why. I did.

Second, I pointed out, honestly, that it seems obvious - to me. Perhaps not to the layman. I think it is obvious that if you violate the explicit terms of a contract/agreement, you should not feign shock/surprise when that agreement is terminated.

But, I'm kinda old fashioned that way. And if you're joking - you got me.
You know. I quite likeDaler.

For a lawyer he seems almost like a regular person.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #19
Craig Massey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Massey View Post
You know. I quite likeDaler.

For a lawyer he seems almost like a regular person.
Edit time expired.
I can too spell!
It's just not obvious from this post is all.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:45 PM   #20
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Now I start publicly saying Company X and its officers are full of $hit, they don't know what they're talking about (in their chosen endeavor), and Company Y actually has a better mousetrap. Way better. So much better, you shouldn't even patronize Company X.
Clearly a problem, I agree.

The issue, as I see it, is at what point professional differences of opinion -- say about the best way to teach the clean, or even about the best way to run an affiliate -- become "disparaging." Particularly in an organization that claims to be "open source" and dedicated to figuring out what works.

Katherine

Closed Thread