CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 11-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Re: Type of WOD, Time Goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
Yeah well...we all have our opinions...and I think it would be dangerous, and somewhat embarassing watching you do 'Elizabeth' as Rx'd. Both of which are reasons to scale, as I said in my previous post.

But whatever.

There is benefit to doing it both ways. Mix it up. It took me 43 minutes to do Elizabeth with 95lbs the first time. My fastest time a year later was about 16 minutes.

One day scale it, and one day if you can do it as RX'd tough it out to see what your limits are.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #12
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Rucker View Post
There is benefit to doing it both ways. Mix it up. It took me 43 minutes to do Elizabeth with 95lbs the first time. My fastest time a year later was about 16 minutes.

One day scale it, and one day if you can do it as RX'd tough it out to see what your limits are.
I get that. I just try not to mess with the 'girls' all to much (at my Affiliate). And IMO, athletes get 'better' doing doing the WOD's between benchmarks, not necessarily the benchmarks themselves. (I realize that there is a benefit to doing them, just saying that more of the improvement happens in the regularly scheduled, 'unnamed' WOD's).
Old 11-23-2009, 02:22 PM   #13
Laura Rucker

Profile:

Agreed.

The road to improvement is along the outskirts of your experience, doing the WOD (scaled or otherwise) at the limit of your ability. Push yourself, and normally err on the side of the intent of the workout. If the WOD is intended as a sprint, use a weight that allows it to be one, and if it is a strength based WOD push yourself to the limit of your strength that day.

Don't muck with the programming because Coach knows what he's doing.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #14
Josh Groves

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason David View Post
I get that. I just try not to mess with the 'girls' all to much (at my Affiliate). And IMO, athletes get 'better' doing doing the WOD's between benchmarks, not necessarily the benchmarks themselves. (I realize that there is a benefit to doing them, just saying that more of the improvement happens in the regularly scheduled, 'unnamed' WOD's).
This is fairly on-line.

The way I see it, if you spend too much time on the girls, you're defeating the purpose of CrossFit.

@ Original Poster:

However, when you are training the girls, we'll use Fran as an example (21-15-9 95lb Thrusters, Pull Ups).

Say it takes you 13:30 to do the workout as Rx'd. This is okay, you had more rest, but you really pushed yourself on the strength aspect.

Now cut down to 75lb thrusters with jumping pull ups, now your time is 7:45. This pace is intense, you're still getting some rest, but you can bet your working for it.

Now if you cut to 50lb thrusters and ring rows but you finish the workout in 4:20, you're probably going to be sweaty, but let's be honest, the workout was probably a little too easy to really optimize your training results.

I would recommend that you go for the middle option that gets you a time between 6-8 minutes most of the time, and occasionally do the workout as Rx'd, just to measure your progress. As you become stronger and faster over time with the other WOD's that incorporate the three main fitness domains, you will find that the times for the girls will start dropping.

Also remember that (Force x Distance / Time) = Power, so for optimal results you need to find a balance of all three of those elements to elicit maximum results. Spend too much time in any one area and the other two suffer.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Brian Adams

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post
Also remember that (Force x Distance / Time) = Power, so for optimal results you need to find a balance of all three of those elements to elicit maximum results. Spend too much time in any one area and the other two suffer.
This is probably the best thing I've heard so far.

I also realize there is a "method to the madness" as far as what coach Rx's, that's why I made this thread. I want to be following that method as closely as possible even if that means I scale way down.

My question is what's the best way to know I am still following the method? Scale down the weight to the point where there is minimal rest? Does this apply to all WODs? Also I'm not just concerned with benchmarks on the named WODs, I want GPP.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #16
Brian Russell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Groves View Post
.....remember that (Force x Distance / Time) = Power, so for optimal results you need to find a balance of all three of those elements to elicit maximum results. Spend too much time in any one area and the other two suffer.
This makes a lot of sense! Thanks
Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #17
Kevin Wolfe

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
My question is what's the best way to know I am still following the method? Scale down the weight to the point where there is minimal rest? Does this apply to all WODs? Also I'm not just concerned with benchmarks on the named WODs, I want GPP.
Brian, you bring up a really good point. WODs are put out there with specific weights, reps, and times assigned. The problem is, this assumes that people here are of equal strength. I would say that a better benchmark would be to give a specific time for the excercise and let the user scale the weight to it. Specify "no rest in between sets" and let the user define the max weight that can be used.

I don't mean to start and upheaval, but wouldn't that level the playing field for people of varying stengths?
Old 11-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #18
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Wolfe View Post
Brian, you bring up a really good point. WODs are put out there with specific weights, reps, and times assigned. The problem is, this assumes that people here are of equal strength. I would say that a better benchmark would be to give a specific time for the excercise and let the user scale the weight to it. Specify "no rest in between sets" and let the user define the max weight that can be used.

I don't mean to start and upheaval, but wouldn't that level the playing field for people of varying stengths?
Kevin, what you have described is exactly what some of us in this thread have advocated...so since I agree with you, I would say you aren't off base at all or starting an upheaval.

The "specific time" I recommended above would be one congruent with where the current CF firebreathers average...

A great Fran time is sub 3-mins
A great Elizabeth is sub 5-mins

etc...

I don't think you should be working "Strength" with a Fran because Fran isn't supposed to be about strength...

Remember, Coach is programming to crush elite athletes, the rest of us need to scale accordingly.

BUT!!!!

The GREAT part about this is we're using functional movements and striving for from and intensity...so even if your Fran takes you 12 minutes, where I don't believe you're getting the optimal response, you are still going to get great adaptation. So I don't necessarily think a 12-min Fran is a waste of a whole lot of time...more like a waste of 9 minutes

UNLESS you are performing it just to see where you stack up...

as a benchmark...
Old 11-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #19
Jason David

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Adams View Post
This is probably the best thing I've heard so far.

I also realize there is a "method to the madness" as far as what coach Rx's, that's why I made this thread. I want to be following that method as closely as possible even if that means I scale way down.

Go as heavy as you can while being safe. The great thing about CrossFit is that it hits all of the energy pathways fairly regularly. If you don't scale something 'exactly' perfect and just miss the intent of the WOD don't sweat it. You'll get better as you go along and chances are there will be another WOD in a week or so that will increase your GPP in that domain/pathway and that one will probably fill in the gap anyway.

Make sense?
Just do your best...It's really hard to screw things up if you're consistent, intense and eat well.